Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i went to the A.C.T. distributor in Lancaster, CA ( www.advancedclutch.com ) and asked them a couple of questions.
mainly about the 7MGTE swap and what clutch would be good for it. anywho they told me that it would be better to use the R154 (turbo mk3 tranny, correct me if im wrong) because the 7MGTE uses a Pull type clutch. now i know this is just another option (costly maybe)

now here are my questions

1. What is the Input Shaft Size
2. Whats the disc Size for the 5MGE and 7MGTE?
3. What Flywheel did you guyz use on the 7MGTE swap?
4. What Clutch did you guyz use on your 7MGTE?
5. who has also swaped in the R154 into the mk2? how much modification did it take to put it in?

now im just asking these questions because i want to make sure what i have to do before i jump into doing this swap. i also want to see how much its gonna cost to get it done soon ill have more questions to come

Thanks in advance
ZANKONE

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
The R154 "supposedly" doesn't fit within the Mk2 trans tunnel. The shifter position on a Mk3 is also a little further back as well. I'd highly doubt the upper shifter housing could be switched from a Mk2 W58 to the R154 to correct this. Of course this is nothing a sledgehammer and sawzall wouldn't fix :). As far as transmission swaps go it is probably a pretty easy job. Most folks use their existing w58 on a standard 5M flywheel with a 5/7mGE clutch assy. If you use an R154 you'll need to an R154 flywheel with the corresponding clutch assy. Personally I'd go with a MkIV NA W58. A lot of the MkIV NA-T guy put 500-600+ hp though them with no problem. I can't see most people exceeding this kind of hp #s in a Mk2.

·
Registered
870 Posts
For my 7mgte mk2 which has w58 trans with stock flywheel, I'm using Clutchmasters Stage 3, really smooth and does not slip. If you're heavily into drag racing then get a stage 4. Sorry, can't help with ACT.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the guyz at ACT were telling me that the 7MGTE uses a Pull type clutch and that the 5MGE uses a Push type clutch. therefore i cant use the W58 because its a push type clutch and i would have to use the pull type. (hope u can understand that). by the time i left from there i was confused about what can be dont and what cant :?

I guess I should look into another company

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Clutchmasters clutch

Mike what did that clutch run you with all pieces and parts?

·
Registered
870 Posts
zankone, ACT is correct that you can't use 7mgte clutch with w58 tranny.

Chad, I bought a complete CM stage 3 kit which is for a 7mge powered mk3 (most of you know that this uses a w58 tranny). It cost me around $480 shipped. Bought thru Grd4Spd Racing contact Terry at [email protected]

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MikeD
So when u said "my 7mgte mk2 which has w58 trans with stock flywheel" did u mean 7MGTE Flywheel or the 7/5MGE Flywheel?

·
Registered
151 Posts
using the W58 Tranny- use the 5M/7MGE clutch set, flywheel, slave cylinder
using the R154 tranny- use the 7MGTE Clutch set, flywheel, slave cylinder

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i have it

ok i have a 84 with a 7mgte in it. as far as clutch goes i have a 5m fly with an act clutch set up. now this was ok for a bit but now that i have modded the 7m i can spin the clutch at will on a stock ct26 at 15spi. i would go with clutch master stage 4. thats what im going to use when i get my turbo upgraded. the act will hold 355 foot pounds of torque-- the clutch master is cheep and will hold all the power you want im planning on about 500 fpt for my next set up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
W58 clutch to hold more power

If you need a clutch to hold more power, Chris and I worked for almost
a year with RPS getting aclutch that would hold the power and not break
clutch forks constantly. We've got it down now. Use an upgraded RPS
pressure plate and a 6-puck clutch. works great, and we use a MKIV W58
tranny.

1985 7M-GTE Powered MKII 400+rwhp TX2K3 Drag champ, 2nd place dyno

1 - 13 of 13 Posts