Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

221 - 240 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
i remembered not too long ago, that i threw out the metal hardlines, so ill have to sort out fittings ad do flexible high pressure stuff, not too stoked about that. i do have my pump and belts and all that stuff though. im mainly doing it because as i steering at low speed i see everything torque and twist. not keen on breaking my steering wheel or column for no reason

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
few photos turned up today. oof
i think thats my gf in the passenger seat. she hasn't sat with me while drifting since like 2011 when we started dating. didn't scream this time, lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
forgot about this, a video a friend made from the last event on july 3rd. drove a lot this event and really enjoyed myself.
car performed excellent. i bought some new front tires to put on because i had some understeer issues with the shitty new falken ziex tires...absolute garbage tires, the car doesnt have enough power to loop the car but instead the fronts just give out lol. this off season ill put the PS back in. I looked at it the other day and theres only one port so it wont be a big deal to get a line made and i should be able to swap it in a day.
the welded oem clutch type diff is still working ok. currently i believe the diff is overheating and it shits out the breather, so im not too happy about that. i plan to make a catch can setup to catch that vented shot out fluid and recirc it, maybe have to add a cooler...seems crazy to me to have this happen...never had this happen before in the s13...but i guess it is what it is. glad this information is happening now than if i had my kaaz diff in there

im in the video at 3:07 and 4:18 if interested in on board

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
I got some Dunlop ZIII Star Specs from Japan. Not a heck of a lot in Canada for any reasonable price and the USA is on par with Japan for prices+shipping+duty+etc. pair of sub $100 tires turn into $500+ :( would be really nice if the tariffs would go away and we could have reasonable priced tires in Canada. I got them in 195/50R15 as I have next to no room up front any more towards my fenders

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Oh no they're not here yet, i meant like i'm waiting for em to be available in this market, sorry for the confusion.

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
If you've been putting off ordering stuff from the states, now is a pretty good time. We just hit 80.5 cents last friday. I just ordered an ati damper, been waiting all year for the exchange to improve.

Another trick you can do to get around the tarrifs, if you know you're going to have a little weekend excursion or trip into the US, wait for it then order your stuff adequately beforehand and send it to shipping receiving place on the US border and pick it up on your way back. The trick is you have to be gone for 48+hours. I had a little 1 night, 2 day business trip for work a couple months ago and I had already ordered a bunch of weir stuff, and it actually shipped while I was down there so I opted to spend another day down there for work and picked it all up on the way back. I think saved myself $180 in tax and duty as I recall.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
the under 24hr limit has changed as well. its under a week and over a week.
my mum just told me the US exchange is post 80c so i will probably look at USA now as an option. we are going to california soon so we need to grab some money and this was a welcome surprise.
i used to do the short excursions when i lived on the mainland and would see american friends. i now live on an island and thats not even relatively affordable to try and do.

the dummy at the post didnt give the tires to my gf today as the delivery driver who cant read our mailbox thats says my full address including the street name for my address, wrote my address wrong ... sad day

ill post pics and impressions once i put them on, which should be pretty quick here once i get them. i wont have a drift event until september i think as i miss this one this weekend with camping

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
my 5M is lack luster (82 and 100hp?) and i run a 4.3 rear diff. i run 14s and 15s between 35-50psi depending. i honestly cant remember what i ran the 14s at last event. i think they started at 40ish? its a bit different between a 5M and a vvti 1jz.

being as im in canada and tyres cost a lot for half decent tires, i run garbage bin tires and triangles. triangles are cheap and react very nice. theyre also over sized for the sizes you buy. 195/50 are as wide as my 205s and their tread is quite tall as well but not floppy

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
i put the ZIII's on, bled the clutch, re greased the front pads and bled the front brakes again. drove this thing this weekend for some mileage and im impressed with the front tires. car rotates good now finally and with the pads greased it fixed the partially dragging caliper on the passenger side. drives real nice now. a BMW M6 did the throttle blips at me on the highway, i did the same. its really weird the attention the car gets from all kinds of people. havent done too much else on the car, usually sits there hanging out. Going to do a drift event here soon, i think just one more for the year and that'll be that. I dont have anything else planned for the car currently.
bought a pair of longchamps and a pair of MKIIs in 14inch for spares so i can sell my p type wheels finally. i like small spares, but shiny ones. also havent taken any photos of anything lately. might do that perhaps

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
82 5mge is 145hp, 155lbs/ft. Not hard to get more out of it easily too, the runners and compression from the later motors aren't a huge addition. That stupid huge cat that only the 82 came with is the main difference between 82 and 83 power levels.

So that will be it, for mods you mean or you will get rid of it?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
those are rated hp at the factory when new. car is old and the M's are just not worth the time or effort (money) to make them any better.
Unless you went turbo, and even then the amount of items needed to be swapped out and changed let alone internal work, is more work than its worth. Mainly a usable aftermarket ECU...i have a bunch of misc spare parts I could make it work but gambling with the internals blowing after all the work and fab seems dumb to me.

no more mods other than the diff cooler and catch tank and put the kaaz 2way in.
no plans to do anything more because im quite happy with the car. i dont ever plan to sell it. i love the thing.

when the 5M eventually dies I will consider other motors, and currently im still planning to do an SR. all stockish motor and turbo with the fmic, and exhuast work, to keep it simple. it would bump the hp by double, and be less weight. other than the I6 noises i will miss, it makes the most sense. anything close to 250ftlbs the diff and stub axles do not like it. I only plan to run 14s and 15s on the car so the grip torque isnt too worry some for me to break those fragile parts.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
last event of the year, car did well, we did a new layout at our track and it was a fun and silly one. going to put it away for winter now. take the nice tires and wheels off the front and put the spares on, then give it a good clean in and out and then swap plates to my truck. probably start sourcing the diff stuff and power steering stuff as i go into spring. i have all the PS stuff, just need to swap it and get a high pressure line made. might be some video or pictures, who knows.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
walls and curbs are good for you. parking lots, not so much :p
took it into the bushes earlier on lol. gotta polish out all the scratches in the spring. got a bunch of splattered blackberries in the wheel kekeke

221 - 240 of 275 Posts