Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with their Front Window Wiper Motor not working intermittently?
My Wiper Blade will sweep halfway up the windshield, then stop, continue upwards and then go in the downward direction and stop, sometimes stopping in a different part of the Windshield.
The original wiper motor would sometimes work like it was supposed to, sweeping up, then back down and wait a couple of seconds repeating the cycle like it was supposed to. But I replaced it with a second Motor and has not worked intermittently right since.
I've tried a couple of different wiper relays and they do the same thing.
I recently got a new (3rd) wiper motor (rebuilt) and it would operate differently. But could not use it because the Motor would kee running when the switch was turned off. So I put the second one back in and it will park when turned off.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
515 Posts
So, the first wiper motor would only act up sometimes.

The second would act up all of the time.

And the third would never turn off. Am I understanding this correctly?

You are now running the second motor, and it doesn't operate intermittently ever, but will turn on and off via the switch, correct?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ryan
You have understood Correctly.
Yes, the first (oem) wiper motor would sometimes work intermittently as it should, but most of the time it would not. That is why I replaced it with a (2nd) rebuilt one.
Yes, The second one (presently installed) acts up all the time, it has never worked as it should.
And yes the third one would not turn off and I am running or using the second one.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well that is quite odd...
Does the wiper motor operate (on / off / park) properly when you're not using the "int" feature?
It's very difficult to say that you know "for sure" what the problem is online because you aren't physically there, but we can help narrow it down one step at a time.

First off, do you own and know how to operate a DMM?
Do you have any wiring diagrams for the wiper circuit?

I've never even seen an mki CelicaSupra in person, so I will recommend steps in general rather than assuming anything.

First, check that all of the linkage is in proper working condition, and that the wiper arms are tightly secured to the rotation stud (don't know the proper term).

Next, (wiper motor not running) try checking resistance of the wiper motor ground. You would find a clean spot of the motor housing free of paint / dirt / etc, and ground the positive DMM cable to it. Then ground the negative lead of the DMM to the negative battery post. This is measures in Ohms, and checks the motor's path for ground.
Sometimes the park feature acts up without a proper ground.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It works fine in the off/fast and park modes.
I feel I have a good ground for the wiper. In fact the motor will not work unless you have the ground wire properly secured to the firewall.
I have a Fluke Digital Multi Meter DMM?
I do have a wiring diagram for the MK1 it and it looks like the Intermittent relay may control the movement of the wiper, but I've tried several, with the same results and with the old one (1st) sometimes working and the last one (2nd) operating differently actually moving longer than the one presently installed it makes me feel like it's a motor issue.
I may need a known good wiper and relay to know for sure.
I will have to look closer at the diagram and see if I can get a better idea in how the system works.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well as of right now, I advise you try and figure out what controls the delay in the "int" circuit, and tinker with that. I wish I could help out more, but I don't know much about the mki.

Are you sure the relay you swapped was the right one?
If it changed the delay of the wiper circuit, it may be the wrong one?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have had three MkI over the years. I Remember something similar to this years ago.
In my situation it turned out to be the Ball Type joints on the assembly between the wiper arms and the motor were warn out. When i replace with a new more powerful motor it worked but then got worse and eventually failed totally. That assembly is under the vent panel between the hood and the windshield. Its several arms and joints that turn the wiper arms. take the cover off and look at them it was obvious that this one arm was warn out and not traveling threw the cycle correctly. Just a thought since motors are haven weird effects and they either run or they don't.

/Also the drum attached to the motor is a series of electrical circuits in a track that turns. Its like the headlight re tractor motors on MKII, It would be worth a look and electric lube after inspection.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i'm having a intermittent problem too, but my wipers have full travel. so i'm going to assume its the relay, but not sure where it is. where's the intermittent relay located?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recently I got another wiper motor (used) from a wrecking yard online and it fixed my wiper woes!
It now works in intermittent mode like it's supposed to. With the same relay, for some reason 3 reman Wiper Motors I purchased did not get repaired correctly.
First one would Blow the Turn signal fuse as soon as I turned it on.
Second would not work right in intermittent, it would go halfway up, then stop, start up again, continue upward, then back down.
Third one would not turn off and in intermittent mode, would go all the way up then halfway down and stop in the middle of the windshield.
I hope to find another good one as a spare.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Intermittent relay is inside the passenger side front plastic kick panel, you have a few screws to remove, you also may have to remove, pull the black A/C cover out of the way that's covering the a/c evap box and fan box, but it's a silver rectangular relay a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts