Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

To preface this post, I have looked at a multitude of threads with regards to the high amperage alternators like the 92 Lexus or the 120amp.
However it appears that a lot of these posts are designed around the 84+ p types.
I am not the most mechanically inclined person and have had my Supra for a total of 2 months.
I don’t know exactly everything needed to undergo the upgrade.
Besides the charge light upgrade - what exactly do I need to acquire in order to upgrade my cars alternator?

ty

edit: my current alternator is dead and won’t charge. I’m looking at alternatives to the stock.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Are you running equipment that maxes out your existing alternator?

Like +1000w continuous massive stereo systems?
Espresso machines AND microwaves at same time?
Forward-looking ground-sensing radar @ 600mph?

Electronics work by "sucking" only as much power as being used from power-source. Starter sucks 60-80 amps from battery to start engine. Then electronics suck about 10-15a from alternator to recharge battery and run car. Turn on headlights and total draw increases to 20-25 amps. Having more available power won't change anything.

Rebuilt factory Denso alternator would be best and easiest. Direct drop-in installation. No custom brackets or wiring upgrades or converting to chain-drive needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you running equipment that maxes out your existing alternator?

Like +1000w continuous massive stereo systems?
Espresso machines AND microwaves at same time?
Forward-looking ground-sensing radar @ 600mph?

Rebuilt factory Denso alternator would be best and easiest. Direct drop-in installation. No custom brackets or wiring upgrades or converting to chain-drive needed.
im actually running a mobile SAM site from the roof and a chaff system from the back. Otherwise I don’t think so.
A rebuilt denso would be just a regular 82 alternator with better capabilities? Where would be a good place to look for that?

·
Registered
83 Turbo '84 Dk Blue Auto-> 5 Spd... '85 ..gradually acquiring parts to Turbo ... have 82 Engine
1,662 Posts
I read somewhere about the Alt from a 93 Camry... being used... for an '83 Supra...

I happened to have had a \93 Camry... but not sure where I put the Alt from it... However, there were 3 different Camry Engines... Does anyone know which Camry Engine that would be from..?? I think there were TWO 4 cylinder options... & then a different Engine for the 6 Cyl...

Get back plz...

Thnx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts