Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

82 AFM Differences

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave A. 
I have the manuals and am diligently looking through them, but having trouble finding anything that tells me what we need to know. On page FI-46 and 47 of the 5mge Engine Repair Manual, it talks about the AFM. It gives some Ohm readings when testing the resistance of the AFM, but I don't see anything that mentions volts. Help!

More '82 AFM findings

OK, on page FI-25 it says:

Check Vs Voltage:
Connect voltmeter to checker and depress voltage check switch.
STD: 0.5-2.0V (Measuring plate fully closed, IG S/W ON)
5.0-8.0V (Measuring plate fully open, IG S/W ON)
2.5-5.5V (Engine idling, IG S/W ON)

I don't know what that means....help again.

Bob are you seeing this? What Jamie says makes sense based on what the TSRM says. I am not sure What Dave was looking at, but I quoted right from the book. Can you check with SS to see what they have to say about this? Maybe my kit would be cheaper... :lol:

So, Dave, is there something specific you want me to look for in the '82 TSRM? I can check it tonight and email back.

Vb voltage issues

OK, Dave here is what I could find.

Check voltage at AFM wire terminal Vb.
STD: 8-12V (IG S/W ON)

Check voltage at computer wire terminal Vb.
STD: 8-12V (IG S/W ON)

Check resistance between terminals of AFM.
STD: Vc - E2 is 100-300 ohms
Vs - E2 is 20-100 ohms
Vb - E2 is 200-400 ohms

Now this is in contrast to the Vc voltage. STD: 4 - 9V (IG S/W ON).

The only voltage that the TSRM mentions that changes based on the position of the flapper is the Vs voltage.

STD: 0.5 - 2.0V (Measuring plate fully closed, IG S/W ON)
5.0 - 8.0V (Measuring plate fully open, IG S/W ON)
2.5 - 5.5V (Engine Idling, IG S/W ON)

Let me know if this make sense or sheds any more light on the MAF conversion issue. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.