Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, wondering if anyone has experience getting their Supra's fuel tank reconditioned? I have an 82 that has been sitting in my shop covered up for the last 20 years and I know there was some gas left in it (1/4 tank?) when I drove it in and parked it back in 2002. I know - should've drained it, but kids, minivans, suvs, job, and life happened and I never touched it again until shutdown last summer. I'm starting restoration process and this is one of my first jobs to tackle. I've searched for new tanks, but they appear non-existent. I'm thinking it's rusty inside, and at a minimum I'll take it out and drain to check. I've read threads talking about Radiator repair shops. Any experiences or suggestions appreciated. This was my first car back in HS in 1988 - just needed headgasket replaced, so I got it cheap. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I had my gas tank treated with Red-Kote by a radiator shop and it has worked for me. The car rarely drives so I try to keep a full tank with fuel with no Ethanol.
For the price, it was easier and cheaper for me to have the Rad shop do the work. I am afraid when working with gas.
The tank was not dramatically rusty, but it was causing fuel starvation issues.

Dale

Reactions: AIC70

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thanks for the responses! I totally forgot about Eastwood - those guys make everything! I'll check out costs on both. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I’m having a local radiator shop acid dip mine then coat it with epoxy. It’s about $350 or so. But the guy does awesome work. I’ll be posting my build thread soon, stay tuned for that part. (Wrote 82 on it because I’m doing my MK3 one as well haha)

Reactions: '82supra and ddd228

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was wondering what cost would be like. So acid dip then epoxy - can't miss going that route. How was the inside of your tank? From the little I can see through the port it doesn't look super rusty. Thanks for the info - looking forward to your build thread!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Inside tank was mint. Always ran premium non ethanol and fuel stabilizer in the winter. Was a good running car up until the alternator went last month. But the 5m is coming out anyways ;)

Reactions: ddd228

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Difficult to FIND non ethanol gasoline, unless you live near a marina or in the farm land.
I go way up North to get my lawnmower fuel.44 minute drive. ;) ;)
Expensive!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Yep. Non ethanol for the win. Our genius prime minister is talking about upping ethanol content up in our gas. God help us.
E85 would be nice someday in my build. But love my premium

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Ethanol is "green". Yeah, right.
I could have fill my Supra with good stuff, but I was too late B-4 winter cruised in.
Kicks in sooner up there .Great for lawn equipment and tractors & weed whackers!
KILLS boat fuel tanks if you don't use it. :cautious: 💩

Ethanol is OK for our cars, but not so good in the tanks. E-85 has lots of benefits, if you can use it. Turbo cars love it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts