Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the board.
I have an 82 P that my uncle gave me in 92. It's loaded. I stored it away, planning to fix a few rust problems before I put it back on the street. Since I'm in the Navy and travel a ton it's been sitting since 96. I'm in better position to restore this car and want to get started. While it sat, a few rats chewed up the wiring and various other things.
I plan to pull the engine and tranny and go through the body with a fine-tooth comb. I want a proffesional manual before I get started. I checked Chiltons.com but they seem to only have current models. Anyone know where I can get one?
I've checked around for a hatchback (the biggest rust problem) and every boneyard I call says all of theirs are eaten up. I found one in Tokyo a year ago for 600, plus shipping. Is that about right?
Can I get a wiring harness? I figure I need to replace wire by wire but I'd rather not.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Scott

·
Registered
211 Posts
Start a relationship with a local yard...it'll be cheaper.

Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks wallcrawlr.
All of the Supras I've found in the yards around here have rotted the same as mine. I was hoping to find someone in the Midwest who has a hatchback away from the shore that only had a "little" rust.
Or do they all rust that way? And can it be fixed?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome to the board.

about the hatch you could ask the junkyards to keep an eye out for you but it could take a long while to actually find one. I did that here at both junkyards and they called around for me and nothing good for a long time. They've found 3 but they were all rusted just like mine.

Better solution is to keep an eye out here in the for sale section on the parts cars. There was one in the for sale section not long ago in canada, had a taker though so I'm not sure if it was sold.

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
Take a trip out to California. There are tons of rust free hatches around here. Actually its pretty rare to see one with any kind of rust. Sunroof panel without any rust are hard to find though. Most all of them have rust even if it hasn't popped up to the top surface. Your best bet for a manual is to get a factory Toyota manual for your year. Much more useful than the Haynes or Chiltons books. New they are $70-80, and they pop up on ebay for about half that occasionally. You might still be able to buy a new hatch and wiring harness from Toyota. If not lots of folks have parts car on the list. Check the For Sale and Wanted sections here.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
For Wiring and repairs you want to get a TSRM-Toyota Service Repair Manual. They are a year specific. I found mine on Ebay which is also a good place to find a lot of celicasupra related stuff-parts upgrades etc. I also have the 82 Ptype 8) and its not to hard to work on usually...and I am learning it all as I go with this car.

-Wil :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
spq9_tech said:
I've checked around for a hatchback (the biggest rust problem) and every boneyard I call says all of theirs are eaten up. I found one in Tokyo a year ago for 600, plus shipping. Is that about right?
Can I get a wiring harness? I figure I need to replace wire by wire but I'd rather not.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Scott
well spq9_tech... well good to have you here and I am just here at Va beach... I found a good hatch at one of our local junkyard at va bch blvd at U-Wrench-It junkyard and for you bad luck my friend already got it but if you need some help on your wiring harness... there is 3 supras at suffolk but all hatched are rusted too anyway but there is a 85 in UWI but I know there are too different wiring diagrams for both but this 85 just got painted and I don't know what is wrong with it...

just PM me or e-mail me if you want to meet up so that I can show you where the supras are in hampton roads junkyards... I am pretty much all over the place already to find some mint interior (blue) for my 85 Ptype

Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts