·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name: Cameron Baker
Car:1982 Toyota Supra P-Type
1989 Toyota Supra turbo targa

RETROFIT?!?!?!....I.M.S.A.?!?!?! What?

Pretty simple in theory actually, the goal is to retro fit the car using suspension from the MKIII supra (front and rear), Braking system off the MKIV tt and the 1JZ gte from the japanese MKIII. The I.M.S.A part is the WIDE body kit and weight reduction among other mods I'm going to do.

No I'm not a racer, I'm just saying I.M.S.A. because of the look. The car will be setup like a road race car, pretty good at everything but not awesome in one thing (ie; drift, Drag, auto-x, circle track........)

Before I start hearing smack about some stuff, I know that the rear suspension from the MKIII is doable into the MKII, the front however is not in any way shape or form able to go into the MKII, but it's going to (I have a cutting torch and a mig welder, and I know how to use them). There's 2 reasons why I'm going to put in the front suspension. 1 I want the dual wishbone suspension, positive offset and 5 bolt pattern, 2 it will be easier to fit the 1jz gte in, because it uses the same cross member (same MKIII). The Brakes will work because technically they're going onto MKIII hubs which is easy enough to do.

This isn't something I've just thought of doing today, I've spent years working out the "bugs" and to make concrete dicesions. I even have a clay model of what the car is going to look like when I'm done........it's blue, LOL.

As of right now I don't have any pics, but they will come in time as I work on the car.

That being said, Today I started on the car. I don't have any of the suspension stuff yet, So I figured I'd start working on the rear of the car. After removing the flares, moldings, bumper, taillights (all 3) and Gas tank. I decided to cut a huge hole where the spare tire compartment was, I want to run dual rear exit exhaust, have the new fuel tank centered and install a diffuser. Cutting out the spare tire compartment just makes alot more room to do that.

thats all for today, I'll have a pic or two up soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find my camera, so here is a couple of old pics, before the final product. the bumper has changed, not nearly gawdy looking. and the quarter looks better now. I'll replace these pics when I find my camera.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts