Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
I have been thinking about that brace you made from the strut tower back to firewall for a week.No,really!
Mine will be a bolt-in.
We do see and read all of your posts,but not all of us will comment.

You get us thinking and we go off somewhere else and forget to say THANK YOU!

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Yeah I know alot of people read and have nothing to say and thats cool. Also some of my rust repair posts can be kind of dull if you aren't into this kind of work. This last one was really long too, would have divided it up into 2 posts but I just wanted to get it all done and finally up to date. But I figured the reinforcement stuff would get a bigger reaction, the other updates in on that subject certainly have in the past. I let this thread sit idle for a good year and a bit and it seems to have cost it some followers. Or maybe the board is just alot slower these days, ah well.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I think the work you you have done is amazing but its far beyond what i am capable of.
I do ready your posts and always look forward to more! But as you said i don't think there as much interest or as many members on here as years ago.
Although i love the cars they seems to be a very small niche for them and the demand is not that great. More people these days want EVO's and WRX's not a lot of interest for our 30+ year old cars.

The MKII was always one of my favourites but no one is ever going to make money restoring them. They are solidly in the "labour or love" category.

Thanks much for sharing with us.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Hey all, long overdue for an update on this build. I have huge news, there has been a major change in direction with this car. Check it out...

That’s right, with the floor out, it became obvious how well a motor fits back there. This is going to be the first ever mid\rear mounted, twin turboed mk2 Supra! Still working out the details, obviously it will sit higher too. Transmission choice might be difficult. Going to look into the 6 speed the 2nd gen fwd Matrix XRS came with. That was mated to Toyotas big 2.4l and that Matrix was over 3000lbs, it might be strong enough (the motor isn't going to be too wild). I'm pretty sure Toyota doesn't offer a manual with any of their modern v6s that are in FWD configuration. May have to look at other manufacturers. Anyways, more details to come as we work this out!

·
Super Moderator
8,275 Posts
post date 4/1 :laugh:

BTW the E153 in the MR2 turbos was offered with V6 Camrys and Solaras.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Final Build Update

Ha ha, you guys are too quick, I was hoping to get a few more of you :) Yes, April fools, but would this have been that crazy for this car? It's the position of the motor that gives it away, it was just placed there for storage ( it's a spare for Deanfun) to save on shop floor space. If I was actually going to do this it would be mid engine and facing longitudinal with a Porsche transaxle. However I don't actually like midengine weight balance, I prefer front engine / rear transaxle. Toyota got it right with the LFA.

But there has indeed been a major development with this car. As some of you may have noticed, Cam has been liquidating his mk2 assets, and that extends to this car and project. What happened? Not an uncommon story. We started with too rusty of a car, got too ambitious with the chassis work, it took too long and cost too much. I also returned to full time work in the games industry, had a kid and didnt have the time to finish it. Also time marched on, Cam got older and kept driving new cars and got used to modern features. This had been building for years but Cam knew he was done with mk2s when he finally got his 82 Ptype on the road with essentially all of the suspension and brakes he had bought for this car, and just didn't enjoy driving it to work as much as the stream of newer cars he's had over the years. This car was supposed to be a weekend toy primarily, but he really wanted something a little more dual purpose, and a lowered mk2 on stiff coilovers is not that. He did pick up a subie though which seems to be doing the trick, I will let him talk about that if he wants.

But that is not the end of this story. I am buying this car from Cam and completing the chassis work. I don't like to talk about my car plans online too much, but I have been hinting for years that my black 86 was going to live two lives. I am nearly complete stage 1. It needs a little more refinement and then paint/resto. Stage 2 included completely different mechanicals/susp and all of the frame strengthening and body mods this L Type was getting. But what I have created with my 86 as is, is pretty awesome and I have been concerned that what I create with all my stage 2 mods, I might actually not like as much as what I have now. So I am buying this Ltype from Cam and doing all my Stage 2 mods to it instead and more or less keeping my 86 as it is. So that marks the end of development posts on this thread. Please continue with any questions or comments over the years here, but eventually I will start a new thread once I've repurposed this car. I'll warn you now though, that work is YEARS away. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, just poking around this thread now but it seems like you have a LOT of expertise! Do please keep us in the loop with any updates.

Thx.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Hey! This thread is essentially complete. Maybe when I get around to finishing off this chassis, I might add another update if there is a batch of work that closes off one of the story lines here (like putting the rear floor back together for instance), but mostly, the chassis work on this car is complete minus mirroring what we did on the Drivers Side to the Passenger Side. As for the car becoming the project I hinted at above, that will get its own thread when that happens.

However, Cam has come back to the mk2 fold. Maybe he'll post a new build thread at some point :D

161 - 171 of 171 Posts