Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
And with my background in Haz Mat I don't think the CARB California Air Resource Board (Evil btw) would be too pleased if I was using a non-approved refrigerant in "Kalifornia"...

I do believe the drop in replacements match better with R12 leftovers so to speak than with a 134a conversion with our style compressors BUT IF your in "Kalifornia" thats not a choice...

The CARB is a bunch of non-elected petty bureaucrats that ONLY care about expanding the agency.

They're done more to destroy small businesses in Kommiefornia than almost any other agency.....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yep, that's on the list as soon as I get the suspension rebuilt. I haven't even looked into it more than noting that I don't hear the compressor clutch "clunk" when I turn the A/C on.

Could be a lot of things, some very simple, some not so much.

I haven't even looked at the sight glass with it running, but since the clutch doesn't kick in, that probably wouldn't tell me anything....
Theres a pressure switch so the compressor doesnt run without AC system pressure. Your clutch/compressor probably doesnt click on because you've leaked out all the refrigerant.
Fill it up (with dye to catch leaks), and the compressor will kick on once there's pressure in the system.

·
Premium Member
5,304 Posts
R-12 works better and there in no RETROFIT involved.
A common place to check for leaks is at the condenser fittings.
Run your finger down there. See? I'ts oily.

Get a REAL pusher fan for it! 10-12" one.
De Rail one I used and it kicks ass!
NO wiring needed.Same relay,same wires. Plug and play.
My A/C is toast,but I use the pusher fan for additional cooling when needed.
Stuck in traffic? I kick in the A/C button.

Have you seen the little WEENIE condenser fan? Motorcycle cooling fans are bigger.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I'm getting cold air with R134a and on a stock '82 system. That said, if I wasn't, I would not hesitate to use propane, I mean, drop in replacements LOL. Always been curious about duracool and the like. CARB has no jurisdiction on a/c I don't think, it's the same stuff essentially as what you put in your gas grill, but a bit less flammable. In case of an accident, it will escape soon enough. I'm not concerned nor do I think I would be in any danger of being incinerated. It's what the Europeans are using now, and it's non ozone depleting.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
PS, when you are charging your system, you should have a box fan blowing on the condenser.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
What? No flamethrower action? Boring. Anyone can recharge an A/C system when they're not on fire. I was so thrilled after finally installing those super cool Nissan Maxima cup holders a couple years ago that I never considered a gas grill. Hummmm. I wonder if I can configure the stack pipe to add downforce? Probably by the time an upgrade kit is finally put together, it'll be an E85 grill that only roasts corn and tires.
So Arch, are you saying because those useless CARB asswipes deem something illegal, that alone would prevent you from doing something essentially harmless? Or that if you dooed it, you'd know you deserved a whoopin' and would have to turn yourself in? Personally I'm all for what they think they're doing. Unfortunately, they obviously can't think or they wouldn't do 99.999% of what they've dun done but don't have the nuts to dun undone.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Oh Ray you've been missed the last few post Sir!!

Nope Nope and Nope...What they can't see ha ha...I should of been more accurate in my statement EPA same a$$ wipes ruled on the drop in stuff...I'm fully on board with spirit of the law vs letter of the law...

Being in a protected class = old guy... someone better have an inspection warrant cause there's no chance I'm opening my hood on a traffic stop...or at a roadside CARB smogville station...that have been sighted in the SF Bay Area the last few yrs. The Mrs aka The Chief has directed me to NOT drive the '86 or my truck on that said road...

I just have to answer the questions the "right way" with my license(s) to make the bean counters feel like their doing something...

PS now that I'm fired up about smog crap...and I have to take my daughter's CL to a star station to get a dyno test dang!!

What? No flamethrower action? Boring. Anyone can recharge an A/C system when they're not on fire. I was so thrilled after finally installing those super cool Nissan Maxima cup holders a couple years ago that I never considered a gas grill. Hummmm. I wonder if I can configure the stack pipe to add downforce? Probably by the time an upgrade kit is finally put together, it'll be an E85 grill that only roasts corn and tires.

So Arch, are you saying because those useless CARB asswipes deem something illegal, that alone would prevent you from doing something essentially harmless? Or that if you dooed it, you'd know you deserved a whoopin' and would have to turn yourself in? Personally I'm all for what they think they're doing. Unfortunately, they obviously can't think or they wouldn't do 99.999% of what they've dun done but don't have the nuts to dun undone.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I'm perfectly OK with being hung up on a wall (to dry). I just love getting hosed off. Hell, I used to think I was barely one generation from sleeping in the trees. I thought I fell out. Turns out I was thrown out. Too bad my brothers and sister didn't consider that I'd just love flying and even landing although smoothness and style weren't to come for quite some time until I stopped enjoying the crash landings so much. By then, I'd figured out that I didn't fall out of the trees. But how could I hold it against any of the crazy MF's I'm related to? I'd have thrown me out just because I'd think it would be funny.
Yeah, maybe in a couple of weeks, right after the Indycar finale at Sears Point you all can sic me on CARB. I'll give them the jet treatment followed up with the metering rods. Then a good solid kick to the power valve and that should be enough. We'll see how their venturis flow after that.
Who's going to be my alibi? Any of youse that happen to have a video camera, I suppose. Just remember that the point is not to prove guilt but to cast doubt from the trees.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Steve, The Toyota Air Conditioning fundamentals repair manual is a good resource for repair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Air-Conditioning-Fundamentals-Repair-Manual-1985-Factory-Book-Free-US-Shi/173866932283?hash=item287b46d83b:g:Sb0AAOSwysFcNKeK

And assuming your keeping the system as R12??

Are you having a specific issue with the A/C on your Supra or just general repair knowledge??

Yes it's great write up but still i am seeking some more information on "LINK REMOVED" ac repair[/URL].

21 - 33 of 33 Posts