Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an 83 Celica GT 5-speed in the junkyard the other day and I decided to look underneath to see what it had for a rear suspension and differential. Turns out that the diff. housing appears to be identical to the diff. housing in the MKII. The cover is slightly different but the housing sure looks the same. I wonder what lurks inside behind the cover?? I didn't get the axle code off the firewall plate. :roll: Anyone have any clues?

·
Registered
102 Posts
GT or a GT-S with independent suspension? If it's the latter, the diff will bolt in the same, but I'm not sure if the gearing is the same. If its not independant, the pod wont attatch to the axles the same, and it won't work.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm pretty sure in 83 they used the smaller 6.7" rear end instead of the 7.5" that is in the '85 celica GTSs and all the supras. Definitely find the firewall code to make sure but I don't think it'll work.

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
82-84 IRS Celicas should be the 6.7" diff which looks really small compared to the already small Supra 7.5" diff.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Diff case on celica only has 3 top bolts also,vs. 4 on supra.Don't remember r+p size right now.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I knew there had to be a difference somewhere.
:?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts