Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know the number, or could someone please :) check their 83 ECU?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Automatic or 5-speed ECU??? Different part#'s I believe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is the part number I found on my 83 automatic: 89661-22050 I can't guarantee it's right (I have parts from other years and I'm still figuring out what's what) so see what others say.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, the ECU i pulled from my car (which i thought was an 83) says 89661-22040 its an manual, could that be why its different or is it another year?

The Toyota part number is 8956122050

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh, btw i read somewhere that it shouldnt matter if the ECU is auto or manual as long as its from the same year, is this true?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
marlow,

Just as everyone confirmed, the part#'s are different for the manual & the automatic. The giant label on the ECU will indicate if it's a manual tranny, or a automatic, thus the reason why I questioned as to what tranny you have.

One of the minor little differences, is the way the ECU controls the fuel management, when the tranny is shifting gears. Esp on the automatic. Thus one of the main reasons the ECU's are labeled differently & the different part numbers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chris: so would an auto ECU on a manual car mess up the fuel delivery but still run?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you need an ECU I have one that I pulled from a yard car. This ECU came from an '84 5-speed. If you want/need it let me know. Cheap+what little it should cost to ship.

I'm cheap.
Scott

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would the 84 ECU work on an 83?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Auto ECU will behave differently on a manual, but it will be so subtle, you won't really notice it. Peeps have done this already & it's fine.

84 ECU SHOULD be okay on a 83. It should not have anything weird, like on the 82 w/ the vacuum advance distributor, or the different electronics on the AFM. Or like a 85 - 86, where the ECU will be looking for a knock sensor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sweet i know where i can get an auto ECU, i hope thats what wrong, thanks guys :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts