Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up my supra at midnight in Ca (MKIIJZ) didn't spend much time with the PO (toan) before hitting the road back to Colorado. I am finding little things that he did to the car. It apprears he cut about 1/2 inch out of the center of the shifter, welded it back together to make a short shifter :thumbsup:.....
Anyhow.....I will take a pic and post it up !!

anyone have a suggestion for a new shifter boot ?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Shifter

Well you've got yourself a 'shorter shifter', not a 'short throw shifter' if that's what you want use the Search function...as far as a new cover go to Search and look for Bonnie Buttons.sold on ebay, etc. and purchased by many on here....also Mark/Vancouver Toyota may have some OEM available (believe black only) if you're a puriest for the type of stitching...HTH

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
ditto to that being a short shifter, but not a short throw shifter. the height of the shifter is just shorten, but the throw is the same.

·
Registered
509 Posts
if a shifter height is shortened then the throw is also shortened.

there are two ways to shorten the throw of a shifter

1. increase the length of the are below the pivot point (going into the tranny) so that less movement is required of the arm above the pivot point (the shift knob)

2. shorten the height of the shift knob, like has been done to your car.
if you are closer to the pivot point, you will not be moving your hand as much.

somebody typed that not beeing a short shifter years ago and for some reason people LOVE to repeat that

i have photos of both a C's short shifter and a "shortened shifter" in my car to show the difference in throw between the 2
its so small its hard to measure

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
if a shifter height is shortened then the throw is also shortened.

there are two ways to shorten the throw of a shifter

1. increase the length of the are below the pivot point (going into the tranny) so that less movement is required of the arm above the pivot point (the shift knob)

2. shorten the height of the shift knob, like has been done to your car.
if you are closer to the pivot point, you will not be moving your hand as much.

somebody typed that not beeing a short shifter years ago and for some reason people LOVE to repeat that

i have photos of both a C's short shifter and a "shortened shifter" in my car to show the difference in throw between the 2
its so small its hard to measure

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the proven comparison.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have an easy way to make one...

Kinda old news as ive seen it before but heres some pics.

Cut off shifter, weld in 1/2" SS rod

Ive also machined out a base spacer but have yet to get pics of it.

On a manual mill it was hard to get it perfect, but ill clean the rest up with a sanding disk.

It will look like this setup when done (borrowed pic)

I also shortened my shifter but not quite the way the OP has shown...

Directly below the section you show is a 1/2" thick rod with the s-curve to it to position the shifter.

I took about an inch or 2 out of that.

Is alot cleaner than the other way :thumbsup:

I can post up more pics at a later time if anyones intrested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts