Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never really have gotten a satafactory answer on it. A friend and I started an undertaking last year to rebuild a MkII supra we got for free. The car wouldn't start but we were told it was just a bad clutch switch.

well after rebuilding the motor and trying to start it, nothing. it turns over and has spark. if we mist gas into the intake it trys to run over. I got a screw driver and listened to the injectors, only #3 was cylcing. so I thought maybe it they were froze, so I got some injectors from an 82 model (which I knew ran before we took it apart) still only #3 cycled. so I tested all the injector elctronics I could get to (resistor, selinoid, and ECU).

what I need to know is if the clips are known to go bad and if so, how can I test for a pulse from the wires so I know its just the clips? any other ideas are welcome. thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
On my 83' the injector wires were held on with thin paper clip like wires. One of them was missing when I replaced the injector O-rings, so I got a replacement (plus spares) from a junk yard. Do you have all of yours and are the wires seated properly on each injector? As for the wires and connectors going bad, my 83' is original (I bought it in 1989) and they have never failed.

Do you know if the timing is setup correctly?
How did you test the ECU?

You may have a burnt/severed wire in the injector harness? What happens if you swap the #3 injector wire with the one next to it?

Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I dont know if this ill help you out but i have heard of some one buy an 83 with the sam problem (I THINK i dont remember correctly) they changed the ECU cuz it was busted and....VROOM the car started right up. I dont know how to check the ECU or your Injector cables. Hope this helps

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tested for voltage coming outa the ECU. (I have a 5m factory service manual) and it was good. the reason I assume the ECU is good is because there is one injector clycing. after I replace the injector orings I'll try swaping the clips around and see what happens then.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The wire terminals in the injector connectors sometimes have a bad habit of slipping up into the rubber boot on the connectors when you go to re-connect the injectors. Try inspecting all of the connectors to see that all of the terminals are in place inside the connectors. The ECU is okay since there's only one driver transistor that fires all six injectors at the same time. How long have the injectors been sitting without being used? Sometimes they can stick closed from varnish deposits if old fuel is left in them for a period of time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do you have the right amount of fuel pressure,try pinching off return line and try and start car if it tries to start fuel pump is weak or regulator is bad.Try shorting the fuel pump check connector maybe switch for fuel pump in afm is bad.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you know the '82 injectors were good, and that at least one injector is firing, it's likely a problem with the wiring. One thing you could try to do is pull an injector clip from either #1 or #6 cylinder (or anywhere else you can reach) and put an analog volt meter on it and try to crank the car. If the needle deflects from 0 up to 12 volts or so, the wiring itself is good, but perhaps the connector/pins are bad. If you don't see any deflection, start looking for wiring problems upstream from the injectors.

If you need them, I've still got the injector connectors that came on my 6M wiring harness, they should be in great condition.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. this weekend will be the first time in months I'll be able to work on the car. I have a list of things to check so I hope that this week or next it'll live again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after pulling the intake apart again I found the injector clips looked alittle fubr'd. so my friend is getting another harness and we are going to try that. if not I'm going to tackle rewiring it (wheeeee!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts