Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! I'm stuck on a decision about this thing. I don't know if I should sell it, part it out or keep her & see if I can make her purr again. I have never gotten greasy by this one so I don't know where to start. She's been sitting for about a year. I had a friend look & he thought the starter was gone. It won't turn over. And after we towed it home from his place , about 3 miles, I didn't touch it. A couple of months ago I tried to push it to a different spot & it won't budge. I don't know if the brakes siezed or what.
So, heres where I need your help folks...Someone give me a hand & tell me how to start figuring out the problems OR tell me how to go about figuring out what parts or the whole shebang is worth to get rid of.
I'm not a certified mechanic. I call myself a self taught wannabe mechanic in constant training. I have a Grand Am & a Jimmy I do all the work on. So far I have been able to figure them out. I have Chiltons & Hanes helping me out. That little 6 cyl in the Supra looks interesting. How much different could it be? I'd appreciate any & all input from whoever. I'll even accept a little heckling, but I give back what I recieve, just keep that in mind!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
You'll want to pick up a copy of the Toyota Service and Repair Manual or TSRM. It's pretty good and usually much better than the Hanes. I don't think anyone here actually has any nice things to say about the Chilton's. There's a lot of helpful information scattered through out the site and there are a lot of people who will jump in and help when you ask a question as long as they're pretty sure you've searched the archives first!

Good luck getting the car back on the road where it belongs...

·
Registered
732 Posts
WOOHOOO!! its an 83!!You gotta keep her.. do her right and just inquire and search and shell being puring in no time..If you can anderstand a grand am and jimmy the supra will be a walk in the park..To me the Toyota inline six is just as easy as a small block chevy,maybe easier..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I never wanted to get rid of her. It's really my daughters (gave it to her for her 16th birthday) & she would love to have it running again. My husband thinks its just taking up space. Like he's not! I'll get that book & see what I can do to it this winter. I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Whylee said:
So, heres where I need your help folks...Someone give me a hand & tell me how to start figuring out the problems OR tell me how to go about figuring out what parts or the whole shebang is worth to get rid of.
Lots of folks here will give free advice - if we knew what you had besides 'just' an '83.
Yes, the Toyota service manual is a start. Next would be posting pics of the car and specific areas of interest (there's a thread you should read at the Top of Picture Post).

Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts