Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tomarow I am going to get the 83 Supra outta the weeds. :lol: It's time to get looking at the serious side of getting it done. I've found a 89 Supra for a doner car. It is in really good shape.. and drivable. So when I gut the engine I will probably sell the body. :roll: Thanks to this forum I can actually get the info I need to build my beast back, and do it the way I WANT it to be. The question I will begin with is: When I do the change over do I have to use the entire wirring harness out of the 89? If I do I might have a problem because I have never took the dash out of a Supra.
2: Does anyone have any tips on reading the wirring diagram? 3: Does the turbo 89 have a waste gate valve? If so can i use an after market one instead of the stock one. 4: If the turbo needs rebuilt, does anyone know where I can ship it to so this can be done. I know www.rabidchimp.com has a turbo kit for the 5mge, but if i bought one off the site would it work with the 89? I am new to working on the car, I have done the simple stuff but not something like this.. i did the vw thing for about 12 years..that was cake.. not much electrical. This will something totally new for me. :?

·
3,283 Posts
oper8or said:
The question I will begin with is: When I do the change over do I have to use the entire wirring harness out of the 89?
if you are turboing the 5M - no, use the 5M harness and ECU
7M, you will have to use the 7M harness and ECU

If I do I might have a problem because I have never took the dash out of a Supra.
dash removal is pretty easy on the MKII, I'm pretty sure you would only need to remove the glovebox and intrument cluster to get to the wires you need(7M swap). MKIIIs I have no experience with dash removal so I can't help there.

2: Does anyone have any tips on reading the wirring diagram?
a good guy to contact would be Matt H at [email protected] He's done a recent Jspec 7M conversion.

3: Does the turbo 89 have a waste gate valve? If so can i use an after market one instead of the stock one.
If I'm not misstaken, all turbos have a wastegate. although... I don't much about them yet.

4: If the turbo needs rebuilt, does anyone know where I can ship it to so this can be done.
I've seen several threads in this forum try searching for "turbo rebuild" or something like that for more info.

I know www.rabidchimp.com has a turbo kit for the 5mge, but if i bought one off the site would it work with the 89?[/quote] The turbo Aaron sends is a ct-26 with that kit, so yeah, it would work with the 7M, but then you'd be back tracking if you're doing the 7M since you have the majority of parts you'll need (minus oil lines) for turboing the 5M. [quote]I am new to working on the car, I have done the simple stuff but not something like this.. i did the vw thing for about 12 years..that was cake.. not much electrical. This will something totally new for me. :?[/quote] we all had to start somewhere, good to see another mkII getting a new lease on life. a strong suggestion, make sure to get the 89 and 83 Supra Toyota TSRMs (not Haynes or Chiltons) they are quite good about documenting the wiring diagrams and where/what each wire does. This will save days to months of headaches and cussing. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Mike 5M-GTE in progress

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re: conversion

Thanks for the input. I'll follow through and read some more on the rebuild and use the original 7m turbo. I'll contact trd and see if i can get the book you suggested. What I meant about the waste gate is, can I replace the stock one with a after market one. If I can I will. I am definately converting to 7mge.. they seem to have much more power to weight ratio for the 83 body..I found another good place for the info on the engine swap. It's www.andy.supras.org.nz he seems to have a good bead on how to do it. Just thought I'd pass that on :)

·
3,283 Posts
Re: re: conversion

oper8or said:
Thanks for the input. I'll follow through and read some more on the rebuild and use the original 7m turbo. I'll contact trd and see if i can get the book you suggested. What I meant about the waste gate is, can I replace the stock one with a after market one. If I can I will. I am definately converting to 7mge.. they seem to have much more power to weight ratio for the 83 body..I found another good place for the info on the engine swap. It's www.andy.supras.org.nz he seems to have a good bead on how to do it. Just thought I'd pass that on :)
you can get the TSRMs from any local toyota dealership, I would check with Jay Mark's Toyota in Texas to see what the SOGI discount on those would be, also could try EBay.com, never know, might get lucky on one of those books. I recently checked on the price of an 85 and they were running in the neighborhood of $85 from my local dealership.

I've head of shimming the wastegate, but as getting a new one... I really don't know. sorry, I wish I could be of more help on that. I know you can buy aftermarket BOVs to change the sound/volume and all that other good stuff when you shift gears.

good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: re: conversion

oper8or said:
Like most, probably all, factory turbos the ct26 has an integrated wastegate.

For you to use an external wastegate you would require a different turbo, a custom made exhaust manifold and dump pipe from turbo etc ie lots of money. I'm not sure really why you'd want to have an external? They are really only useful in very high hp situations, or obviously if you are upgrading to a turbo with no wastegate. I know a guy running 20psi(at the moment) through his ct-26 with t04e compressor wheel and the wastegate is fine. I think it was upgraded with a stronger spring, but that's all that it needed. He's aiming for 400rwhp in a few months...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts