Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to be rebuilding a 5mge from an 84 and wanted to know exactly what will have to be replaced i'm rebuilding the engine because when it runs and idle's their is a knocking noise and want to find out with it is but is beyond the knocking noise and i belive it's the rod bearings and wanted to know what else it could be if not the rod bearings that is making this knocking noise any info would be appreciated and also what needs to be replaced or should be replaced during the rebuild what should be re bored and everything like that if i should get new rings and new pistons alright any info will be appreciated thanks

Dan

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Whoah, that whole post didn't have a single period or comma! Anyways, a knock is usually caused by a rod bearing. Sometimes a wristpin can knock also. You should put all new bearings. When you take apart your engine, you should check all journal sizes and condition. If not within spec you may need to run oversized bearings. Also check your wristpins. You don't necessarily need to bore out your cylinders. Most of the time new rings and a nice hone job do the trick. On the head, you usually won't need a valve job. Just lap the valves by hand. You'll see then if you need a valve job by looking at the grey area on the valve face (it turns grey after lapping) . If too pitted, then do the valve job. But I've yet to come across one that needed one, and I've done quite a few. All new gaskets and seals, and that is basically a rebuild. You may want to replace the oil pump if the pressure was running a bit low. If you want a smoother better revving engine, balancing the bottom end is a good choice. Pretty cheap too.

Christian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts