Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a loss

After rebuilding my 84 5MGE:

I had it running good, not great but good enough to take it for a break in drive.

As I was accelerating on a level grade the engine back fired loudly and died. The tach went to zero. I tried bump starting it with no joy.

So this is were I am...

Back in my garage, it cranks easily with good compression in all cylinders.

When I checked for spark with all of the spark plugs in except #1 and all the plug wire off except #1 there is no spark until I release the ignition trigger then there is a spark that lasts a second or two.

So I replaced the coil and tested the igniter and all of the associated relays and fuses. Still the same spark situation. I was going to replace the ECU (I don't know how much of a role it plays in ignition) but a new one cost $250-400+ and I don't know if that is the problem or what made it fail if it did and I don't want to smoke check another one. The ECU wire bundles pass the resistance checks listed in my manuals. I have not done the voltage tests because there are about 50 of them and I don't have any assistance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
re-check your timing marks, you may have jumped a tooth.

also double check that your distributor is bolted down tightly. If the bolt was forgotten, it would pop out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would have also said Dizzy pick up coil is arching at warm temp. Also it would'nt hurt to check the timing belt to see if it did jump! Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts