Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any differences between the 84 and 85 supra ( Interior, engine hp, body ) ?????

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here is some info for ya I got it from this link

http://www.supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29466

84: In 1984 it gets tricky, all automatic and L-type supras came rated with a 150 h.p. and all 5-speed p-types had 160 h.p. Now this was the first year where the front turn signals were wrapped around. It also got a new steering wheel, cruise control was moved to a stalk on the steering column, and a more aggressive front air dam was installed. Now the gear ratios changed as well. 5-speeds got 4.30 gears while automatics recieved 4.10 gears. Also the mk2 recieved a hatch sticker that went all the way acroos it that said "SUPRA"

85: All mk2's now had 161 h.p., they also recieved a new spoiler that went the length of the hatch. The l-types, also got new rims they looked exactly like p-type rims, but were in a 15x6 version and were silver clear coat painted. Not many know this, but 85s had heated mirrors which are activated with the rear defroster.

Carl

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Yea the heated Mirrors were a real trip when I mistakingly discovered them this past winter. Also ,at least on my 85', the fog lights and headlamps stay on after you turn the car off UNTIL you open the driver door, pretty cool.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Typical to Japanese cars of the day, a lot of stuff changed mid model year. In the 84 Supra, for instance, radio, timing belt, fitted rod bearings, etc. The early 84's were 83ish and the late 84's were 85ish. It may have been due to the logistic delay in getting Jap manufactured cars over here, I don't know. Honda was the same way.

When I order parts, Mr. Watson always want to know date of maufacture.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
the fact that you can't leave your lights on.....thats great, they turn off with the opening of the door, and the heated mirrors are also sweet. Did they offer the theft deterrant system in the 84? i know my 85 has it.

Also the way the vacumm lines are hooked up as well as the tps. They completely redesigned the hole thing...lol they moved the location of the egr on the intake as well i beleive, i can't think of all the things different at this time...too late.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Angkistrodon said:
Yea the heated Mirrors were a real trip when I mistakingly discovered them this past winter. Also ,at least on my 85', the fog lights and headlamps stay on after you turn the car off UNTIL you open the driver door, pretty cool.
One feature I miss on my 82. I had an 87 Camry that did that. Very convenient.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
The Theft deterrant system was a 85/86 only item.

Headlights/parking lights SHOULD turn off if you turn them off at the switch like normal but yes, the 85/86's have the headlight autooff feature. (and of course I keep forgetting occasionally that the MKI does not have this feature... :oops: )

Heated mirrors have already been mentioned.

Cloth Seat change in 85. 84's had the Cloth inserts w/ the LOUD pinstripes. 85 changed to a tweed like material for the inserts.

85/86 motors have a knock sensor. 84's don't, but the motors have the fitting on the block for one.

Fujitsu stereo head units changed in 85 from the 2 piece 7-band EQ, to the 1 piece double din 9-band EQ unit. 86 head units got AM stereo.

That's about all that I can think of.

Then of course, there is the infamous hatch spoiler on the latter ones that everyone likes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
my 84 must of been a real late one because it had the theft deterant system. :?
brian

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
d

My dad bought a 85 p-type burgandy with a digital dash back in 85 new was this any type of a special edition any such thing. My dad told me then that it was some kind of special edition or something.

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
anyone know more about the headlight "auto off" feature? I never knew about it. I've left my fog lights on several times, but they do not turn off on their own. Mine is an '85. Is there a way to set-up this auto-off feature?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Kevin,

Something sounds a bit odd here.

ALL of the US Spec P-Type's (including the 85's) ONLY came w/ the Analog Dash. The L-Type's came w/ the Digital Dash as a option. My US Spec Sales Brochure confirms this, but it was also printed in August 84. And I don't know of anyone else in the US w/ a US Spec 85 that has this setup.

The Canadian Spec P-Type's (or GTS's for those who want to use correct terminology) had the Digital Dash as a option.

Tanya,

How is your foglight rewire setup??? Where are you getting your power source from??? Is it from something that is tied into the parking light setting, or something that has constant power all of the time??? My foglight rewire is tapped into the console maplight, which is hooked up to the parking light setup. And my fogs will turn off if the headlight Auto-Off feature is activated.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
y

My dad had a 85 p-type burgendy with burgendy interior with a digital dash and he said it was rare. I look at those burgandy supras all the time to try to find his old car it was hot it was traded in on a vette at Pinebelt Chevrolet in 1986

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
y

CJ thanks for the reply and the help to clarify this I guess I will have to ask my brothers more about this car to see if they have any pictures or vin something Thankyou

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well I have a few questions for you guys then.
My 84 is a P-type, and I have no heated mirrors, alarm or even foglight auto-off feature :cry:
I know the 85+ had a few ECU.main wiring harness difference do to the revised EGR, new TPS and the knock sensor. In teh previous model ECU harnesses there is a blank spot in teh clip. Do you think that if I were to hook up a knock sensor (btw-does anyone know where its supposed to go on my 84 6M? do 6M's have taps for knock sensor's?) I could wire it and pin it in the ECU harness and it would work with the 84 MT 5MGE ECU?

Another question abotu the 85+ TPS... I think I need a new one and have been lokoing around but can only fine 85's. I have really compared, but how many wires come out of the 85's? Do you think it would be possible to get an 85 TPS and use it instead of my 84 and have it work if I wired it to the 84 wiring harness and the ECU would accept it? if not does anyone have a spare 84 TPS? thanks

Austin :roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts