Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

84 celica supra 1uz swap

75K views 108 replies 23 participants last post by  THoover43 
#1 ·
CAR:
91 LS400 4.0L V8 1uz got for 800 dollers
going into:
1984 Celica Supra 5mge (5 speed now used to be auto)

first off ill be driving the ls400 for a few months because its freakin comfortable, and i will need time to buy some parts...

correct me if i am wrong,
its a 91, so it will NOT have the oil pan i need??

i will need to a buy a bell housing for my w58 to bolt up??

motors mounts need some TLC

and flywheel??? do i use the 1uz flywheel and clutch??

and im sure ill have do do some wiring.

thanks for patience, i dont plan on jumping into this right away, i will be researching while i find parts for this build over the next several months.
CHEERS
:D

See less See more
#2 ·
Oil pan will be fine (my engine is 91 Ls400). I recommend mounts from Cruzida (Peewee) in Australia. There are adapters to modify and use the 1UZ auto bellhousing with a W58, or you can buy a whole new bellhousing. Exhaust will be an issue, as the LS400 Manifolds won't clear the steering. They can be turned forward by rewelding the flanges, however, if you intend to turbo.

#4 ·
thanks for replys.
i got a few friends with welders that will be the easy part.

wiring im not so good with so that will take some time.

but i am more interested in knowing if all the links for purchasing the bell housing and flywheel online are still active and if they are reliable???

thanks, i will try and use my 91 oil pan!!!

first thing is before i start pulling the engine i have to get this thing running.
somebody who i shal not name obviously has no idea how to time a vehicle.

so right now im looking at:
timing belt
camshaft and crankshaft seals
valve cover gasket
distributor caps and rotors
plug wires
vacuum lines
and a new radiator, the stock platis one has blown and some tool tryed to fiberglass it back together, and it looks like puke...:SM130 (1):

#6 ·
where do i order the w58 conversion plate???
gona need to buy one soon!

still waiting on a repair manual for the 1uz lexus is supposed to mail it to my house.
then i can start on my timing belt and camshaft seals!

#7 ·
quantumauto for all your 1uz-w58 needs!!

#9 ·
project has been on hold because i moved.
gona pay off my visa this month and buy the adapter plate.

in the mean time ill pull my 5m because im sure it ate a ring.
going to be stripping the interior as well...

the clutches at quantum auto seam expensive, has anyone tried an aftermarket non turbo 7m clutch? will it hold?? or should i just bust and get a really nice one

#10 ·
A good one like act should hold up forever in a lightweight car like a mk2. I'd stay away from shit like center force, xtd, or spec.
You can also get longer grade 10 flywheel bolts and use the flex plate and spacer in between your flywheel and crank and get the 2j/3s/3V whatever flywheels ring gear machined off

#17 ·
just did new plugs and wires on my friends 1uz, what a crappy job haha 5 of the boots at the end of the wires got stuck at the bottom but a good ole coat hanger helped me get them out! 3rd cly wire was grounding out in the middle of the wire and now runs so much better! Best of luck on the swap!

#18 ·
i am probly going to wire brush and paint my w58 tonight. waiting on my adapter plate and money.
then gona order my clutch line kit and slave cylinder from quantum.
gona buy some more stuff for the 1uz ign. soon as i can aswell.

#20 ·
my adapter plate came a few days ago. and i ordered up the flywheel.
gona get the engine in the car soon for a fit test.
have decided to ditch the efi, and go with a carb.
i will have updates on a manifold and carb setup within a few months

#21 ·
#28 ·
the ones i sold for the 5m/6m/7m will bolt to the 1uz. it only has 2 bolt holes though, not 4. however idk if the diameter is right to clear the pulley. iirc someone told me it worked fine. and if ti bolts on, he would only need 1 edis8 module and 1 set of edis 8 coilpacks, which is comprised of 2 edis4 4 post coils. though he can use 8 ford cop coils and wire the matching pairs in series. mustang guys do it all the time. 2 coils on 1 output. negative of the first goes to the poisitive of the 2nd. positive of the first goes to +12v, neg of 2nd goes to the trigger on the edis8. otherwise, read the ms extra site and do the mods needed to run the stock 1uz dual distributor setup.

#24 ·
Megasquirt can handle either: #1 A twin dist setup triggered by the 36-1 wheel. Or #2 A twin Edis 8 triggered by the Edis wheel. However, MS can also handle other types of crank trigger wheels, doesnt HAVE to be edis. Its your choice.

#26 ·
Never mind. The link you posted referenced megasquirt, but you are going carbureted. My bad.

#27 ·
Why would you go do a carb? You could get that car running on stock efi in a day easy. These engines respond very well to even low levels of boost. Easy with basic upgrades to the stock fuel system.

I think you are severely limiting your performance options performance by going with a carb. But it's your project. Good luck. Look forward to seeing it running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.