Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good manifold or extractors for this engine setup? The steering shaft gets in the way. Prefer local (Australia if possible)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I assumed you're talking about the exhaust manifold. If so, I think you have to get them custom made. I know some other cars, they look for the log style manifold of off another model with the 1uz. I don't remember which car it is. Search Lextreme.com, it's a great place for 1UZ swaps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Try TA22 1MZ, on Toymods, he got a set off me a while back but his project is changed from UZ to LS1

Jack is in Kingsgrove Syd.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crambo - what did you send him? Were they a set of manifolds or extractor? I have not been able to contact him yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
They were 4 into 1 built around the steering shaft, if you find who has them and if they are FS then I will re host the pics as I can't find them on Photobucket ATM.

·
Registered
456 Posts
jdm sc400 would be the closest fitting out of the box, but you will have to mod them a bit. That is if you cannot find a set already done....

I think they are too wide, but i have a set of jdm ls400 manifolds you are welcome to have if you want to play with them...

Im serriously starting to think id be better off cutting the flanges off the tubular tundra headers i have and flipping them upside down, then re-welding them... This way the headers will be pointed forward and all that would be left to do is plumb the rest of the exhaust, with two turbos thrown in there somewhere ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a set of LS400's that I was fiddling with but the exhaust man wasn't happy with what he had to do to them - said they would probably crack. I think I am going to get him to make me a set of headers to suit the install once the engine is in.
Crambo - Jack sold his set not sure to who. What is FS? Pictures would be good if you find them but dont worry too much. Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
The FS was For Sale, yes it would be best to have them made to fit your engine bay.
I had modified the crossmember so the engine was back a bit further than most, so altering those headers would be needed.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
DBR, what were you wanting done to the LS400 manifolds? Mine is LHD, but (if I ever get back to this project) I plan to spin the individual flanges for each cylinder so the left-hand manifold stays on the left but the manifold points forward and up. The middle two flanges will just need the adjoining metal cut since they spin on the pipe, but the outer 2 will need to have welds broke and rewelded to spin them 180. Then the 3 bolt flange will be cut off with about 3" of pipe so they don't turn into the fenders and a different flange (V-band?) welded on. I have it mocked up with the engine bolted in place and the steering will still be closer to the manifold than I will like, but doesn't hit using Peewee's mounts and 1/8" of washers to space the engine up a little for more clearance. I'm thinking RHD should work the same since the manifolds are the same left and right, but couldn't say for sure. Of course, my LS400 manifolds may be different than yours as well and the whole result is less than ideal but should be relatively cheap to make work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was trying to get the rear end of the manifold in closer to the block so it went in behind the steering. Diffficult to do as the outlet pipes became different lengths and the flow terrible. The exhaust guy was also worried that when they got hot they would crack because of the shape. I think he wants to have a go at a set of headers so the expansion is even, flow is good and hp will be ok. It will cost a bit more but look, go and probably sound better. Will be 4-5 weeks but I will put in a picture when done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts