Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. i'm new on here, just joined up, and i am needing some encouragement, and advice. first of all, i am restoring an 84 supra. here are the current pictures: (let me know if this doesnt work)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=22267&id=1630203330

im almost done with the interior and am finally moving on to the 5mge. i've never rebuilt a motor before and would like to attempt this myself, since fundage and time are quite short right now. (my wife is due with our first in feb).

so anyways, is there anything in particular i may need to know about rebuilding the motor? pistons, boring out the block, crank, etc. any tips, or suggestions are welcome, and any comments too. i keep updating my facebook page with new photos as it progresses so keep checking it. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
401 Posts
ok. i'm new on here, just joined up, and i am needing some encouragement, and advice. first of all, i am restoring an 84 supra. here are the current pictures: (let me know if this doesnt work)
I don't log into face book. I don't have an account nor do I want one Can you post some pics here? I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how do you post pics in here?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have not bought a tsrm yet. i was gonna go by the specs online and basically put it together the way you take it apart, only reversed. i did somehow manage to get the complete intake manifold off in one piece at one time without breaking anything.(intake, fuel injectors, vacuum lines, etc).

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok. i guess facebook is one of those sites that wont let you host your pics on it. ill keep trying something.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's the pics from the beginning, what we started with to where i am now. hope you enjoy:

and thats about where im at now. let me know what you guys think. good or bad.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i paid $900 for the car, have about $1000 in paint and body work, got all my new door seals and sunroof seals and headlight wiskers from toyotapartscheap.com(the cheapest place to buy GENUINE NEW toyota parts) for around $400. the fabric for the interior was $100 for the vinyl, 70 for the checkered, and 50 for the solid black velour. $500 for the seats to be reupholstered, and then prolly about another $500 in window tint, trim paint, supplies, and etc. just bought a 6m motor from JDM to go in it so we'll see how that goes. ill post more pics of that when it comes in. in all i think i have about $4200 in the whole thing right now. trying to do most of the work myself, like the wood grain dash, its actually wood too! the air vents are from a '95 dodge neon,(the only thing those cars are good for) and fabbed up to go in the wood, and mate up to the factory air ducts. its been so much work trying to learn how to do everything but im getting the hang of it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you have any questions about any of the work i've done, just ask. more than willing to give tips and advice on the stuff i've done. soon to come: pics of the updated windshield and trim around it. (cause you cant find new trim anywhere)

·
Registered
456 Posts
i paid $900 for the car, have about $1000 in paint and body work, got all my new door seals and sunroof seals and headlight wiskers from toyotapartscheap.com(the cheapest place to buy GENUINE NEW toyota parts) for around $400. the fabric for the interior was $100 for the vinyl, 70 for the checkered, and 50 for the solid black velour. $500 for the seats to be reupholstered, and then prolly about another $500 in window tint, trim paint, supplies, and etc. just bought a 6m motor from JDM to go in it so we'll see how that goes. ill post more pics of that when it comes in. in all i think i have about $4200 in the whole thing right now. trying to do most of the work myself, like the wood grain dash, its actually wood too! the air vents are from a '95 dodge neon,(the only thing those cars are good for) and fabbed up to go in the wood, and mate up to the factory air ducts. its been so much work trying to learn how to do everything but im getting the hang of it.
im all about a project being built not bought! I love the fab work you put into it... keep it up man!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, since i've managed to find a 6m motor from JDM cheaper than i could do the work myself, im opting for that. $850 for the 6m with all the harnesses and intake etc etc. has anyone dealt with these motors before? are they any good?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well thats just great! my "6m" motor just arrived with a big stamp on the side of the block reading; 5m. trying to find out now what JPR Motor Co is gonna do about this. if i wanted a 5m motor, i would have rebuilt the one that was in there...i'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just waiting for a partial refund.....

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys. i really kinda need the encouragement now. between the motor bull$(-)it and enough electrical wiring nightmares, im almost to the point if i could sell it for what i have in it right now, i would.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I spent weeks tying to get my headlights to work; then a nightmare AC leak, then my AC Clutch wiring; then my leaky hatch; then my leaky sunroof; a smoking engine; hatch alignment; and to top it all off, my clinically depressed, often M.I.A. upholsterer with a broken arm is holding me up.

I have on many occasions questioned my sanity and wondered WHY would someone put themselves through this craziness. The good thing is that there are so many things to work on I can always find something else to occupy my time until I cooled off enough to find the strength to go at it again. Working on something while pissed always ends up costing me money :)

Rarely is anything worthwhile ever easy. Keep at it! I will be worth it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts