Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

84 P-type 1uz

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Mootz 
#1 ·
im going to attempt to build the car over 3 years it might be sooner but some things come way b4 my car, I was dead set on building my car with a 2jz but now my needs have changed and it seems much more cost effective to build with a 1uz. ik they can make some good power - I would like to see 400-600hp ,things iv seen done were M60- M112 Eaton superchargers and built bottom ends,ind TB set ups and turbos set ups , id like to use a M112 build my bottom and see 500hp. let me know if im crazy !

first question is what trans is most common to be paired to a 1uz that will hold up to my "hopeful" power #s. iv seen the 350Z trans a lot but I don't want to make things to complicated.

thanks in advance guys she's been just sitting in the garage engine less for 2-3 years now its time I get my ride back!

#3 ·
cant do auto brother im trying to achieve the race car feel and you just don't get that with an Auto, my metal work is a hole lot nicer then yours I hope you don't take offence , im looking to build a really nice car next to show quality I have a pretty nice paint job

#6 ·
I have the factory W58 attached to my 1UZ in my 82. However, other than adding a megasquirt to tune a little mre horsepower out of it I don't plan on much more horsepower. The W58 should be able to still handle that. However, the horsepower you are looking at attaining you probably want to look into an R154 trans.

#8 ·
Silv mk2 , I'm a pretty bad ass shopper , I have the junk yard 1uz priced at 300$ and the M112 at 200$ and if you can show me a 2jz in my area to pick up for 500$ I'd do it today. For me I'd save a ton on the engine and a trans vs everything a 2jz need to perform correctly in a mk2 , iv gotten mixed answers off the web but a 1uz seems to come up 50-60lbs lighter then a 2jz in my search, cast iron vs. alum

Stuff is kinda cheep for the 1uz 1000$ to bolt a super charger to a v8 is pretty dam cheep imo. that alone should bring me around 300+

#9 ·
I can't attest for the 2JZ but I know when I swapped in my 1UZ I had to get coilovers for the front because lowering springs didn't lower the front due to the engine being lighter than the stock 5mge.

I am with on pricing. I picked up my 1UZ with uncut harness for $350 at a junkyard. The conversion kit cost $1K but I specifically didn't cut any corners to save money on that. I think shopping around more can save a few hundred on that. A trans that can handle the power you want is probably going to be your biggest cost just because a trans like the R154 is harder to find and usually when you do find it someone wants a pretty penny for it.

#10 ·
1UZ should be a hair under 400lbs, 385 or something, it's only about 35lbs more than a 22RE. JZs are around 500.

But as you said, "let me know if I'm crazy" and well, let's just say I'm curious where you're gonna go for that last remaining TWO HUNDRED hp you want after you assume to be at 300 with a blower. You're running into turbo territory real fast, and guess how you get there with a JZ.

#11 ·
Yeah 500rwhp is more than possible with a 1UZ but it's a big dollar build. I personally think it's a cool idea but not because it's cheap or cost effective. 2JZ is almost certainly cheaper, but these days you'd have to at least consider a LS conversion. Sacrilege to some, but they're cheap to build up to that power level.

#12 ·
hmmm its not that bad if you're handy with a welder. Even 500rwhp for a 2jz is getting into single turbo conversion territory so if you factor in the cost of the turbo the prices aren't that far off for the 2 motors. The 1uz is dirt cheap in comparison to the 2jz, then you pretty much make up the difference in cost mating a manual tranny to it. As for handling the power, a buddy of mine built his up to 690rwhp with stock internal motors. I wouldn't say they were reliable at that power range, but he ran entire seasons on single motors at that power. But personally, I hate V motors and the idea of turboing them just annoys me. I'd rather just have a 2jzgte and take the easy route.

#15 ·
2JZGEs litter junk yards everywhere. Pretty much every Lexus to the mid 2000s that didn't have a 1UZ in it had a 2JZ in them. Granted you probably want a pre VVTI 90s version if you're going to turbo it. The time and cost to build everything custom for a big HP 1UZ build kind of nutty. I think the 1UZ is a better daily driver type swap where you leave the engine stock and just drive it. If I was going to do a V8 the LS motors make way more sense. They are much easier to turbo, the stock ECMs are flashable, and there are so many combination of different parts to make swaps easier.

#17 ·
Just my opinion from the extreme budget-minded guy. Drop in the drivetrain from an old school 5 liter Mustang. Manual transmission with the nice hydraulic throwout bearing and everything. Throw some cheap off the shelf aluminum heads and a big camshaft with a carburetor and you're done. If you want to spend a couple more dollars, you can stroke the 302 to a 347 for virtually the same money as stock. Not to mention bolt-on supercharger is very cheap and easy for that motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.