Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandparents bought this car used in 1985 or 86 iirc. I've loved it ever since, but hadn't driven it since 1990 or 91.

The weather is nasty so the crappy phone pic will have to suffice for now.
She arrived via transport from Sacramento, yesterday.

Grandmother's daily driver for more than 20 years. I recall her doing 120mph on more than one occasion though so it wasn't exactly babied, but my grandfather maintained it extremely well, and it was always garaged. He preferred his '79 SR5 Corolla Liftback.
144k on the clock
R134a conversion
Maroon cloth interior
Good tires
Cleaner engine bay than my 3 year old GTI
After I clean the interior, it should be a 8/10
Zero rust

The bad:
Lots of minor knicks, scratches, & dings
Minor grind into 2nd gear if I'm not gentle
Cracked, but repaired for inspection driver's front turn signal
Cracked passenger fog
Oil leak(s) that I'll assess this weekend
Small fluffy dog hair that needs to be vacuumed
Weak rear hatch struts
Weak elastic on passenger map pocket
Bouncing speedo

Overall, she's awesome with just enough minor flaws that I can drive her daily without worrying too much about door dings and such.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks very nice! Was it a freebie from the grandparents? I agree with you about the minor nicks and dings; nice to drive a car you're not afraid to park in public. All the rest of the 'issues' don't seem too major, so I'd say you're game ahead. You may want to do a search of the forum for the 2nd gear synchro issue as I seem to recall someone else changing the type of transmission fluid they used, which cured or minimized their similar problem.

It's really cool the car is staying in your family. Post up some better pics when you get a chance!

·
Founding Member
6,525 Posts
What a coincidence! Another fellow from Texas just posted about putting a grandparent's 83 Supra back on the road. Anyway's welcome.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice of your grandparents to pass their supra on to you!!! That's what grandparents are supposed to do, love and take care of the grand kids, to a point. Enjoy it and think of them whenever you are in it. If it works out you could pass it on to your kids and tell them the story of how your grandparents were thinking of you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually have my aunt to thank for honoring their wishes. I think they told me I could have it (when she replaced it) 20 years ago.

Took her for a nice 15 minute drive today (4th drive). Tranny is getting smoother and speedo bounce has settled. She just needed to be driven.

Had in-laws here over the weekend so still haven't had a chance to clean her up properly or do a proper tune-up. Just topped off the oil and got the tire pressures up to par.

Seat covers were nasty, but 9.5/10 seats hiding under them.

OneTimeI is helping me replace some of the sub par interior bits and whitey408 is getting me replacements for the couple cracked exterior lights.

Need to replace front wiper inserts and get a new blade and insert for the back.

Considering replacing the hood and hatch struts, but they seem to be working a little better today (warmer weather).

Thanks for all the helpful stickies. Much better than many forums I've had to visit over the years for various vehicles. I'd lightly perused them over the years, but actually using them shows how many good ones there are.

I think I've averaged about a vehicle per year since I started driving (1991), but I'm happy to be back in a Toyota (especially this one) and happy to be here. Thanks for having me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
you know for a couple hundred dollars worth of investments,ie. gaskets, wipers blades, lenses your gonna have one hell of a sweet MKII. congrats, although i know its not the way you wanted to get the car but still congrats.

·
Registered
453 Posts
When is the TX meet? I don't have a Supra...yet, but it would be cool to see all of the rides. Honestly, since I joined up here and started looking, I have only seen one Supra on the road! It was a primered grey one in Austin.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Cool grandmother! 120 MPH...... Hell Yea !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally registered and legally on the road. The new Texas plates are absolutely disgusting though so I'm considering my alternate plate options.

I've been mailing paperwork to the Communist state of Kalifornia to try and get a replacement title since nobody could find the original. This last time (the fourth time) they sent the packet back with a note saying they needed by grandfather's signature on X and Y documents. His friggin' death cert is one of the documents in the packet.

Fortunately my aunt discovered the title in one of the small mountains of paperwork she's organizing a week ago and sent it to me.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Granny doing 120? That's scary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts