Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Wikipedia the 1985 Mark II with a 5M-GE engine makes 178 horsepower:

19852,759 cc (2.8 L; 168.4 cu in) 5M-GE I6133 kW (178 hp; 181 PS)169 lb⋅ft (229 N⋅m)5-speed W58 manual
4-Speed A43DE automatic

I never heard this before. All other references say it is 161. Anyone know anything about this? Was it perhaps only the European or Japanese markets that got this version? Is there an easy/cheap way for me to upgrade the engine in my '84 to get 18 more horses under that hood?
Thanks, Bob

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
I think that the '85 had a bit higher compression and revised intake runners.
My '84 got an '85 engine. Big difference, but the old 5MGE was getting tired. ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Bob, 161 HP is correct for our cars for 85. Those are JDM numbers for exactly the same engine as ours. Torque is what is actually measured and as such both are rated @169 pound/feet. Horsepower, however, is a calculated figure and Japan uses a different calculation than we do. Hence the different rating. There may be a different methodology as well.
If your 84 came with a 5 speed, its engine is very similar, though not exactly the same as 85 engines. EGR is different as well as the TPS on 85's. 84 automatics have essentially an 83 engine although some parts are different such as timing belts and gears, etc.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments. I know that there are those people out there whose car is still a daily driver, and actually prefer an auto, but when I was looking for a MKII, a 5-speed was a must. In 1987 I was driving on the way to a medical appointment in my '80 Celica and I saw a MK II prominently displayed at a used car dealer on the corner facing traffic. I pulled in to check it out. It was an '84, P-type, 5-speed, leather, and no sunshade on the hatch. Ticked all the boxes that I was looking for, and I paid them the asking price on the spot 'cause I didn't want anyone else to snap it up. So, yeah, mine is a 5-speed.

Thanks again for 'splaining the horsepower thing.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts