Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i were to theoretically attempt this swap, what difficulties would i encounter?

i know the ignition systems are different - does that require much effort to change over? is it a wiring mess?

just looking at my options.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I did it the other way around. Put a junk yard 82 in my 85. I had to use the distributor, intake, wiring harness, alternator, oil pressure sending unit, and computer from the bad 85 engine. But it bolted right up and worked ok. A bit less power than the 85. I managed to finish the swap in one weekend by myself.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can anyone at least tell me if i can use the 82 wiring harness? how hard is it to switch harness over?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
You can install any year 5mge into your 82 car. The blocks are identical, with the exception of the casting marks on the outside, and the fact that the 82 block has no provision for a knock sensor. The heads are identical as well. Use everything from your 82 car, with the exception of the head and block, and you'll be set. I suggest you replace external seals, water pump, timing belt, etc while you've got the engine on a stand. Also, it would not hurt to check the bearing in the bottom end. While you're at it, knock a hole into the oil pan, just in case the turbo bug bites you at a later date. Hope this info helps.
-Aaron

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you very much. if i do this, it will be a stop gap measure while i build up my other 5m-ge that's currently in the car (and it REALLY needs a rebuild).

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
should i be using the 85 ECU? please say no, because it's an automatic, and i'm sure that will screw itup.

i have an 84 5 speed ECU kicking around though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts