Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lined up twice with an early 2000s Subaru Impreza RS sedan today. I've got an 85 p type (190k miles) with a fresh 5mge (5k miles). 5speed, lsd, newer pacesetter header with matching (cheap) 2" exhaust/muffler. Cone filter attached to homebrew PVC intake tube, all done by the PO. I've got no idea what the power output is - I'm assuming around/ a little under 150hp. Impreza RS specs are 165hp awd, about 2800lbs.

First time was unintentional - rolled up next to him at a light and realized my lane ended a half block past the intersection so I planned to scoot in front to get over. I hadn't noticed it was a young guy driving. Around here most Subaru owners are middle aged tree huggers. He surprised me by almost jumping the light and he got rolling first but I caught him before we cleared the intersection. I couldn't pull away from him, but stayed 2/3 length ahead and he let out to let me over. He slowed down and cruised a half block back but I caught another red light and he moved over a lane to line up at the light. I tried to wave but he wouldn't look over.

The second time I had half a car by the top of first, but he pulled it back as I shifted to second. At the top of second I had a half car again and he couldn't pull any back when I shifted to 3rd. When I let out at 70 (55mph city street) his front was even with my rear. He let out and dropped behind me and took the next side street.

Not much compared to some of the turbo stories, but I was happy that my na commuter sled was able to beat something in a straight line. BTW, I don't understand the Toyota's logic regarding transmission ratios. 1st is too low to get any speed at all, but 2nd is way too tall to start in. With the low gearing in the rear end I'd expect 1st to be a little taller to make it more useful.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nice kill for a 5M really. I had a 2000 RS 2-door, dead stock, but with a Scoobysport muffler section on it. Loudest g*ddam muffler I've ever owned (but it sounded so good I didn't mind -- well, until I took it on the next long roadtrip)! I have a WRX now, but I still think the RS would've taken it, up to about 40 mph anyways, which is pretty useful in the stop-light grand prix. So yeah, nice kill.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts