Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking into doing a Lq4 (6.0 ls) engine swap into my 85 Supra Celica. The motor is getting a full overhaul and by end of it should make between 4 to 500 horsepower with turbo, ideally I am looking for 600 tho (dream big). My question is, what's a good manual transmission that can be fitted the easiest? Second question is can the stock rear end handle it?

(sorry if this is typed messy I'm new to forums)

·
Super Moderator
8,684 Posts
I would just use a T56 magnum and not for long on the diff

·
Registered
187 Posts
A T56 is a good option. However, it is big and will require quite a bit of messaging to the trans tunnel. A Nissan CD009 is smaller and might fit in the tunnel with out modification. I am currently swapping in a 300ZX trans into my 82 with a 1UZ and it fits with no modification needed. The 300ZX trans is rated for around 550 hp. I believe the CD009 is rated for even more. Both those transmissions have adaptor plates for LS engines as well.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
T56 Magnum. The rear end won't handle it if you have decent traction, even with a solid pinion spacer and a truetrac. I stripped a 7.5" ring and pinion with 465whp / 440 wtq (single turbo 2JZ) and sticky 285 tires (0.5 degree camber in the rear).

Reactions: ddd228

·
Registered
317 Posts
T56 fits you just have to bonk out a couple spots for the "ears" on top. Here are two very good threads with LS swap information. Additionally, I'm not positive, but I believe this oil pan might fit without having to cut your front subframe.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Uh, no because mating it to a LS engine is a pain in the ass. Better to use a T56 in this case.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
¯\(ツ)/¯ Everyone using an oem GM T56 with an LS has the engine really far forward in the bay to make the shifter work and the provide trans clearance to the trans tunnel. The only way to avoid it is with a T56 magnum or TR6060 with a forward mount shifter.

R154 isn't as good of a gearbox but it fits much nicer.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Uh, I did suggest the T56 magnum. For proper shifter position and machining for speedo gear drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much guys, I appreciate all the info, does anyone happen to know what angle kits would fit on this chassis

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
T3 sells short steering arms if that's what you are after. No way in hell will the stock rear end put up with drifting and 400+ HP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts