Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lot's of powder coated parts, overall condition looks great.
New engine/tranny, 200K+ on body.
Link Here.

Curious what the long timers here think about this one?

·
Registered
624 Posts
That car is amazing. It should bring in a fair chunk of change.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
are those Celica rims? They look a little flat to be true mk2 rims but I cant tell for sure.

·
Registered
727 Posts
He has obviously put a ton of time and $$ into the car...it is tough to get those dollars back out though.

It may be the lighting in the pics, but it kinda looks to me like the right front fender had to be resprayed -- it appears a little darker than the rest of the car. Hopefully that's not the case.

I do love the interior, it is very fresh and crisp! (except for cargo area carpeting)

All in all it looks like a real nice ride.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
$7,900, dreaming....

For that kind of money you can buy yourself a low mile car.

--billyM
I'm sure you understand the value in such a car, I'd pay $7900 for that. "low mile cars" often are not as perfect as they describe and need heaps of maintenance because....well, they aren't driven often. There's a lot of value in this car.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...well, exactly, it's beautiful, and seemingly a lot of love, sweat, labor, and money went into it, but I suppose the real question is:

Does this type of restoration = selling price of a low mile car (as we've seen on eBay lately)?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
...well, exactly, it's beautiful, and seemingly a lot of love, sweat, labor, and money went into it, but I suppose the real question is:

Does this type of restoration = selling price of a low mile car (as we've seen on eBay lately)?
it all depends on your point of view...in a strictly market point of view, there's a bigger customer base for a low mileage all-original car. Most people that would be interested in owning a modified/restored car (like the people on this forum) would like to do it themselves...to see it start to finish. so that inheritently lowers the value of the car relative to a low milage one (supply and demand), meaning there are less people out there that would be willing to spend money on a "messed with" car, but that doesn't mean the car is over priced.

from the point of view of owning a nice older car that is great to drive,.it looks like a fantastic car for the money, and i'd call it a good deal. there's well over 8k in parts and labour in that thing, and it's done tastefully, too. If either one of those three criteria weren't met, then I'd see a case for it being overpriced.

·
Registered
599 Posts
wow, 5 1985 supra cars currently on eBay.

I can see the value in this silver restored car.. great buy if it is as stated condition, I would never buy sight unseen though.

Least he didn't post it in the general chat section for badgering :::...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Assuming we get a clean auction with no shill bidding, this car should provide a nice price guage for restored MkII's.

I hope the guy gets all the money, it's good for the whole Supra community :thumbsup:

Now, to watch and wait. :eatcorn:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...hmmm. Check out the CarFax like "Vehicle History Report", on the listing.

There are some notes about the car being titled in August 2005 around some FEMA records, specifically it says:

"TITLE (Title #:10121937622103908) Reported registered/titled prior to storm event in FEMA designated storm area. We recommend a professional vehicle inspection to confirm no storm damage. "
''

...also, if I am reading it right, it does say it has been titled 6 times.

·
Registered
727 Posts
...hmmm. Check out the CarFax like "Vehicle History Report", on the listing.

There are some notes about the car being titled in August 2005 around some FEMA records, specifically it says:

"TITLE (Title #:10121937622103908) Reported registered/titled prior to storm event in FEMA designated storm area. We recommend a professional vehicle inspection to confirm no storm damage. "
''

...also, if I am reading it right, it does say it has been titled 6 times.
That's a red flag for sure, but I have to ask, who would sink that kind of money into a flood car? It's not like insurance would have covered all that he did. Plus the claim would've most likely showed up on the report. So I'm thinking it's probably not a flood car.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
That is NOT a restored car, nor is it an $8,000 car. It's MISSING PARTS! The whole car was resprayed, the fender flares have been messed with (blended/bonded to car) and the moldings don't go under the flares. It's missing the headlight whiskers, and the dash side defroster vents. Wheels should've been professionally machined/refinished. The interior door panels look funky, like the map pockets don't look like they belong there. The door pull handles have something weird in front of them, like they weren't attached properly or something. The vinyl or leather seats don't even have the leather stitching pattern; it's a cloth sewing pattern. All that work and still the same floor carpet? And why not do the rear seatback cargo nets right while the seats were apart? Just too many things wrong with the interior for such a price.

Underneath, did anyone else see that weird plate welded onto the rear sump part of the oil pan? What's the story on that? Silver powdercoating on stock black pieces? Not my taste. Guy must have had a connection with a powdercoater, or metal refinishing shop. The engine sure looks nice, though! Still, just too many things to warrant an 8k sale price. I think I'd rather find an all original, used Supra first.

·
Founding Member
6,401 Posts
I hesitate to call it a restored car, but except for a few glaring omissions, it appears nicely done. Whatever it goes for, it won't be much of an indicator of value for original or faithfully restored mk2s. Its got a smaller audience. Typically, everyone bids on a nice original car because even people who like to modify their cars want to start with a solid base. On the other hand, collectors and people who are simply nostalgic, will pass on the modified cars because its too difficult to put it back the way it was and even some of the people who like restomods will skip a car simply because particular mods don't appeal. But there's always the chance the seller could wind up finding two bidders who just have to have this particular car and it could go for crazy money. This one's not too over the top as restomods go so we'll just have to watch and see where it goes. I have noticed that in the local car show scene, your propensity to win trophies is directly proportional to the amount of chrome plated surface area under your hood, so this should do well on that account.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Sun roof not shutting.

8k I want my sunroof to close properly:SM130 (1):

1 - 20 of 28 Posts