Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellow Enthusiast's,

I purchased my first 85MK2 six mo's ago.(White) It was a daily driver for owner in N.C. Purchased by friend here in TN. He started resto work and over two years lost interest. I purchased & revamped the project giving it a tuneup, replacing brakes, alternator and entire AC components. I have been successful in finding new OEM Wiskers and Fiberglass Rocker Panels thx to the help of Forum. In addition I found possibly the last 2 New 14x7x225 BF Goodrich's on the planet. Just as I was getting ready to pull the trigger on Complete restoration of body and Paint I hesitated.

Thus the Madness begins!

I was contacted by a junkyard owner who had an MK2 I might be interested in.(Silver) I politely declined. But two mo's later I bought the damn thing.

So the million dollar question is what is the most effective way to increase performance?

Before anyone gets big ideas that I have unlimited resources I am trying to stay within a 5k budget for engine rebuild.

I am not looking for 1k HP or anything crazy. Something in the range of 300-350 HP should be sufficient.

Both MK2 are stock 5MGE.

I considered supercharger on Silver one as it is lower milage and already tore down. 179k miles before putting to rest 15 yeaars ago.

Suggestions please.

UnionJack

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Completely unrelated, but were the rockers from Fiberglass Specialties, Inc? If so, thoughts on quality? While I'm trying to keep my car completely original, I'm thinking about some of these and saving my OEM ones from potential further decay.

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
100% engine swap 2JZGTE. Its tough to do that in that price bracket, but it can be done if you're smart about doing it. If you do it right you'll have OEM reliability at the power and more. 5, 6, 7M turbos swaps are dicey at those power levels. Usually you have to spend a bunch of money on prepping the motor to be reliable on those where a 2JZ you can use a JDM one off the shelf with a gasket kit on them. If you're worried about price do a 2JZGE swap now and swap that to turbo down the road when you can invest more.

Reactions: 4runnerfeller

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes . I have ordered them but have not received them. I can follow up with results when I have them in my possession.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have a 22R I could install as well. I understand they are reliable and will push a lot of HP if done correctly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My old 22R out ran the state police twice. They can be made to go very fast. This was in my old 1982 Celica GT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. so turbo kits? I am not verse on these builds. looking for suggestions. I am not looking to run at local tracks but would like to wipe the smirk off the face of the averagel late model production car.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Depends on what average car you're talking about. In good shape, a stock 85 should be able to keep up with or slightly beat a new base Sentra, Corolla, Camry, Accord, etc with a 0-60 in the 8-second range. If you're wanting to go up against a V6 Camry or 2.0T Accord, you're probably going to need a modified 7M-GTE. If I wanted to keep up with my 4-year old Chevy sedan, I'd need to go with a modified 2JZ-GTE and supporting drivetrain. With a $5k budget, the latter is definitely out of reach. I haven't looked much into 7M pricing, but it seems a better option than trying to get much performance out of the 5M from what I've read around here.

·
Whistles
1,058 Posts
Engine, turbo, fuel, engine management, clutches, differential, brakes, suspension, wheels... Throw money at all of those things.

·
Registered
796 Posts
There's lots of options for the mkii, I've already done the turbo thing with a 6mge, it was incredibly fun but I blew head gaskets a few times. I've now gone 1UZ with the car and it was fantastic to have a V8 in it, but it was a LOT of work to make it all fit together properly. I did a lot of fab work for steering column and worked with 4 sets of stock exhaust manifolds, welding up stuff and trying to make it all fit without too much modifications to the steering and other stuff in the car.
The cheapest way to get more power out of the mkii is to just slap a 7mgte manifold on the car, add a RRFPR (rate of rise fuel pressure regulator), modify the oil pan to accept an oil drain for a CT26 turbo, replace the fuel pump with a bigger one, and redo the intake pipes to fit the turbo intake and an intercooler. The whole thing should cost under a grand to do.
Going with a 1UZ, you'll be well over 2 grand to get all the little pieces together, add a trans adapter (if you wanna keep the 5 speed, and why wouldn't you? V8 with stick is fun!!!), screw with the steering shaft from firewall to rack, and either custom-build headers or modify a set of 2UZ manifolds.
For me, I went standalone ecu and added another 1800 bucks to the build, so I'm well over 5 grand with mine, but I'm anal about everything and took no shortcuts. Okay, well, I did one shortcut that I regret, bought an Akina motorsports trans adapter which wasn't able to handle the extra hp. I assume it would be okay with all stock parts, but not with aftermarket ecu, larger injectors, mild porting and several other things I've had done.
A 2JZ would be much easier to do, as its also an inline 6 with everything generally in the right position (intake, exhaust manifolds, etc.) and is nice and skinny, as opposed to a 1UZ, but cost will be high for the engine as they're always in demand.
Of course, there are other options, but I like keeping my mkii powered by a Toyota powertrain, call me weird!

·
Registered
41 Posts
2jzge. 220hp is enough to snap your stock diff. The car can't hold much more than 300 on the ground anyway.
Easy to install too. Just buy an old jzs147 while you still can

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have an MK3 7MGTE and an MK2 5MGTE, and after doing research and living with them for over 15 years I have realized the following: the 5MGE was not designed to make big power, so skip that. The 7MGTE has many tuner options available, will fit well, should more easily fit into a budget, is documented well, a potentially simpler install, be made to meet your power needs, and should work with your gauges. No doubt you will want to replace the fuel pump, rear differential, and upgrade to the 7MGTE 5-speed (R154) at the minimum. I recently made a superficial search for a JDM 7MGTE, and found a few. It’s a tough engine, even in stock form, and hardening it for that kind of power is your reliability insurance. A V8 would be loads of tire ripping fun, but the low end torque creates a whole new discussion about hardening the vehicle for double the power it was designed for. But hey, I’m slightly biased 😁

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have an MK3 7MGTE and an MK2 5MGTE, and after doing research and living with them for over 15 years I have realized the following: the 5MGE was not designed to make big power, so skip that. The 7MGTE has many tuner options available, will fit well, should more easily fit into a budget, a potentially simpler install, be made to meet your power needs, and should work with your gauges. No doubt you will want to replace the fuel pump, rear differential, and upgrade to the 7MGTE 5-speed at the minimum. I recently made a superficial search for a JDM 7MGTE, and found a few. It’s a tough engine, even in stock form, and hardening it for that kind of power is your reliability insurance. A V8 would be loads of tire ripping fun, but the low end torque creates a whole new discussion about hardening the vehicle for double the power it was designed for. At the end of the day, you’ll have to decide how much you want to spend, versus your performance goals.

·
Registered
796 Posts
2jzge. 220hp is enough to snap your stock diff. The car can't hold much more than 300 on the ground anyway.
Easy to install too. Just buy an old jzs147 while you still can
Since when? 425 at the wheels of my '85 and no issues with w58 trans and stock lsd diff with 3.92 gears! Well over 300hp now with the 1UZ and still no issues or noises from the diff. If you start with junk, you end up with broken junk. I've serviced my car for the last 20 years properly and don't drive it like a moron, maybe that's why I haven't broken the diff or trans? Engine is another story, I've blown enough head gaskets. And yes, I do pound on the car quite a bit, hence multiple bhg's.
There's a lot of folks here pushing well over 300hp on stock diffs and transmissions who haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good to know. FYI, the 85 diff was also used for the FRONT diff for the Land Cruiser of the day. The low end gradual hit from a turbo is much kinder than the grenade launch of a V8. Treated properly, anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Just finished with a 1JZ GTE VVTI dyno'd at 350 rwh and 350 ftlbs of torque, Just finished the paint and body with Boyd Connington 17 replica wheels. We replaced the 5 speed with a brand new Nissan 350Z 6 speed transmission (now need to change differential from 4:20 to 3.73) in process. Looking at big brake kits next, tint windows, replace all carpeting this month and next month. January thru March install stereo with full cameras front & back, complete restoration of interior including new dash, doors,seats full black leather with blue double stitching. Summer 2021 have
plans to build bottom end and try to get 500-550 rwh with reliability and drive ability. When complete will have a boat load of cash into the car and something to hand down to one of my boys. I enjoy driving it more than the 2002 25th anniversary Lotus Espirit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds like a lot of research to find a match of just the right parts, to make it all strong enough, and for a good cause. How much did this adventure cost (purely an estimate)?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank u everyone for the input. I have a lot to think about. in the meantime I will continue driving the stock daily driver. Because it is still fun to drive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update on Build. I decided to swap 5mge to 2jz. I am starting with NA, rehab W-58 w new guts and original differential. I have compiled new components and engine/tranny work is in process. Not likely but might make the event in April at the tail of the Dragon.

Jack

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just curious, did you go with
Update on Build. I decided to swap 5mge to 2jz. I am starting with NA, rehab W-58 w new guts and original differential. I have compiled new components and engine/tranny work is in process. Not likely but might make the event in April at the tail of the Dragon.

Jack
Just curious what specific 2ZJ motor did you go with? A 2JZ-GE non-vvti from like an sc300 or a MK4 n/a supra? Or did you get a 2JZ VVTI from a later model Lexus like an is300/gs300. Those are a lot more plentiful here in the US. I believe the non-vvti has the same bottom end as the 2JZGTE with the stronger rods and things. I'm no expert so others please chime in if i'm incorrect. I think the sweet combo is 2JZGE non-vvti bottom end with a 2JZGTE VVTI top end. But of course you would need to source those from two different engines and only makes economical since if you have one or other already. I saw a build from Speed Academy on youtube where they build this combo and looks pretty sweet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts