Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, i once again have a problem. My car is running like crap, acts like its missing. The valves are in time. The distributor is fine, it came from a perfectly running car. The spark plugs, wires, cap and button are almost new. The timing belt is less than a year old. And as far as i can tell i don't have any vac leaks and the computer is fine, its been switched between one that is known good and two other ones and it still runs the same. So any input here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
What have you done to the car recently that started the issue?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had this problem once, turned out to be the EGR valve was stuck open.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What have you done to the car recently that started the issue?
I got it to start. When i bought it it was like 5 teeth off on both cams and the PO couldnt figure out what its problem was. Other than that, nothing. I'm kind of happy that it at least will start because thats an upgrade from what it was when i got it.

Paul12; said:
I had this problem once, turned out to be the EGR valve was stuck open.
And i never thought of that one. Ill check it out, how did you rectify that problem?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does your speedometer work properly?
I've heard of 85 Supras running poorly if the speed sensor in the speedo doesn't send its signal to the ECU.
Yea the speedo works fine so i dont think thats the problem. The thing even runs crappy idling.

put up some flyers around the area you lost it :sarcasm:
WTF is that supposed to mean?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
it was a joke...:ugh:

"85 P Type Missing Problem"

"Put up some flyers"
:SM130 (1):
Not too funny huh.....

Sorry
:salute:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The online 86 tsrm has a diagnostic/repair flow diagram that should be very helpful if u follow it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
And i never thought of that one. Ill check it out, how did you rectify that problem?
I touched the valve with a screw-driver, and it snapped shut. I tried cleaning it a few times, but cleaning EGR valves is a temporary fix. I kept unsticking it with a flat head screw driver for a couple of months.

EDIT: If you push on the valve and it doesn't close, it is probably not the EGR valve. Don't go insane and stab a screw driver through the diaphragm, lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ANYWAY guys, i got the majority of the problems fixed. The woodruff key that holds the timing gear on the crank shaft was sheared off so anytime there was the least bit of torque against the crank the gear just started slipping. So it was constantly jumping time. I got it pretty well tonight, then we had a blonde moment and the PO had put an electric fan on it, and me and my stepfather forgot to turn the fan on and it overheated and died. Now were waiting for it to cool down to see if it will start again. fingers crossed.:32:.

it was a joke...:ugh:

"85 P Type Missing Problem"

"Put up some flyers"
:SM130 (1):
Not too funny huh.....

Sorry
:salute:
HAHA it wasnt that bad i guess. I had jsut got up when i was reading the posts so i was running a lil slow.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
That sounds like the crank dampener wasn't tight enough to me...

I got it pretty well tonight, then we had a blonde moment and the PO had put an electric fan on it, and me and my stepfather forgot to turn the fan on and it overheated and died. Now were waiting for it to cool down to see if it will start again. fingers crossed.:32:.
Ouch...that hurts :duh:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well now she has a rattling problem. It sounds almost like valve knock. I dunno whats up with this car, i think its just falling apart. Maybe i should just but a 7MGTE in it :p. But on the serious side, why would i suddenly develop a horrible case of valve knock or spark knock?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts