1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did you read the most recent buyers comments on BaT?

·
Super Moderator
8,311 Posts
I've noticed a lot of cars on BAT get resold on there again a year or so later. I guess when you pay $50k plus for a Civic once you drive it you find your hero wasn't so heroic. I was kind of suprised they even listed that car on BAT in the first place. It's not really there MO to sell cars like that.

·
Founding Member
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you read the most recent buyers comments on BaT?
Yes, another car bought sight-unseen on one of those auction sites (I'll refrain from standing on my soap box and making yet another speech about seven day online auctions). It seems the current owner spent the last year fixing many of the issues. I just hope he's simply ready to move on to the next project and hasn't just given up in frustration or lost his job to the coronavirus or something.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, sounds like he got screwed pretty bad.
I'm surprised at the amount of work he still put into it though.
My guess is he had a clear vision in mind for it.
But after fixing most of the problems and driving for quite a short time decided it's never going to get there.
Or just tired of the old platform, who knows.

A good lesson in BaT auctions for sure.

Hopefully he at least breaks even, but somehow I doubt it.

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Hmmm he and the car are local, hopefully we see this thing a meet at Shawns soon or something.

A bad turbo is not exactly uncommon on a used car this old, the interior stuff sounded more like customizing it to his liking. White headliner? No such thing from the factory.

·
Premium Member
5,562 Posts
Here's what he had to say 3.5 months after he bought it:

9/17/19 at 4:53 PM
CrazyRussky 10
@Livewir3 Not great. So far I had to tune it twice (before taking to mechanic and after fixing all vacuum leaks and other miscellaneous/not cheap engine related problems. After the tune it was mentioned by tuner that it was still smoking and most likely it’s a bad turbo. I talked to the original owner and he tried to assure me again that turbo is almost new with around 2 thousand miles on it at it was clocked incorrectly. After further inspection I found out that turbo is toasted and all the “promises and assurance” is just BS on seller part. Every time I contacted the guy and confronted him about things that was wrong he acted like he had no idea and he can “help” as soon as he’s done working or preparing his home for sale (that never happened). My opinion that he just lied about the condition of the car. As of now I completely took interior out minus dashboard. Sprayed it with Lizard Skin sound insulation. Reinstalled the interior and replaced missing/broken parts. Also got a donor car for all the missing parts in and outside, and believe me ALLOT is missing. It looked like one armed monkey with his eyes covered put this car together. All I need to do at this point is the turbo rebuild and LSD swap as the one on the car making whining noise like supercharger at the certain speed and it will be all done. I’ll try to post my experience with pictures here as soon as I’m done.

·
Super Moderator
8,311 Posts
I think you have to put in context that most people buying cars on BAT are buying low mileage stock creampuffs for huge amounts of money and expect things to be perfect. It's like buying one of those expensive muscle cars at Barrett Jackson and finding some bondo and rust in it that someone in the real world would shrug off. That's why I commented that I was surprised it was listed on there originally.

·
Premium Member
5,562 Posts
I wonder if that crazy russky is expecting to make a profit after one year ownership.
Do you think he's just trying to get out from under it before he throws too much into it?

·
Founding Member
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you have to put in context that most people buying cars on BAT are buying low mileage stock creampuffs for huge amounts of money and expect things to be perfect. It's like buying one of those expensive muscle cars at Barrett Jackson and finding some bondo and rust in it that someone in the real world would shrug off. That's why I commented that I was surprised it was listed on there originally.
Funny thing about those TV auctions, Mecum specifically. Our local Corvette club helped move the cars around at the Dallas auction a few years ago as a fund raiser (Mecum pays the money to the club). I didn't go help, but I talked to some of those who did. The reason you see them pushing the cars on and or off the stage has nothing to do with indoor air quality as they like to say on TV. Rather its because fully half of the cars could not be started and another quarter ran so poorly that they would have been an embarrassment. They don't want to capture on audio the sounds of five and six figure cars going rrrrRrrrrrRrrrrR - pop - RrrrrRrrrrrR - pop! The club spent a lot of time trying to jump start cars to get them in and out of the convention center ahead of and after the auction and pulled most of them with golf carts.

They may look nice, but most of them just sit never being driven and thus would require a total recommissioning of the fuel system. You can look the cars over pretty good at the auction short of putting them up on a lift, but the bad thing is you cannot take them for a test drive. You might be able to find the seller next to his car sometime before the auction and ask questions, but you just have to take their word for it that it "ran when parked". If you are going to one of those auctions and actually bid, the best thing to do is to go days ahead when they are setting up and try to watch the car you are interested in being driven into the building and/or talk to the "volunteer" who drove it in. But the general rule of thumb is to figure on another $2,000 - $4,000 worth of work to recommission the car for the road on top of the auction fees.

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Yeah I don't know about these auctions. Aaron is right, modified cars really are a little out of place on auctions like that. Any car that's been modified to that level has been owned by an enthusiast and had untold amounts of work done to it. Everyone has different ability levels and different standards on fit and finish, what they can live with, etc. And you are particularly taking a risk with a car like this as it was likely just an average car before the last owner restored and modified it. I don't think the last seller was malicious, but in his eyes the car was probably near perfect, and he had overlooked a lot of the flaws or improved it so much from when he got it he was oblivious to the things the new owner noticed right away.

And like I said, everyone has different standards. I for instance would not ever want to own a car that has had this done to it....

CrazyRussky 10
As of now I completely took interior out minus dashboard. Sprayed it with Lizard Skin sound insulation.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
The original ad was pretty up front that it was in need of finishing, and knowing him he would be an over sharer if anything about every possible problem. CrazyRussky even mentions that he was getting after sale tech support on the thing, which is above and beyond. Expecting a leaky turbo to be replaced is silly, buying an unfinished project is always a risk.

·
Registered
87 Posts
it has at least 11K in parts 2jzgte, r154,wheels, BBK, wiring harness, plus suspension and other odds and ends

Not my favorite color but I through my bid in Jayc207

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
must resist compulsive urge...

·
Premium Member
5,562 Posts
$21000!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Cool!

Its not really that surprising imo. Pretty much any Japanese car with a good turbo JZ and a manual transmission is starting at 20k these days it seems. At least thats what people think some of them are worth. But our cars should be 20k to be honest, they are so old now, a very unique and desirable look, and they are very expensive to restore and parts supply is problematic. 2jzs and the manual transmissions that bolt to them aren't getting any cheaper and everyone wants one...

·
Founding Member
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL! So which one of you guys has been lying to your other half?

pkiingston: Thank God this is going up. Under $15K it was going to hurt my marriage

1 - 19 of 19 Posts