Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my mk2 supra i had and 1982 7mgte swapped in it, i sold it because it needed to much body work. i wish i would have Finnish the interior.

next week im gonna go pick this up

My plans for the car are:
-first give the car a good clean when i get it
-figure out why it smokes and fix the engine and have a nice reliable 5mge
-replace the mess up auto tranny with a r154
-i already have a 7mgte but i want to do a minor rebuilt(bearings,rings,have everything balance, medal head gasket arp studs) im gonna built this and have some fun with the 5mge in the mean time.
-also suspension and breaks before the 7mgte goes in

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FINALLY GOT THE CAR HOME!!!!!!!
here is some pics

now is waiting at my buddies till my garage gets done

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pics of the interior, i love this car! lol

tonight i went and cleaned up a little it was so dirty the exterior will take pics tomorrow and post them up and im gonna take a video of it

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thank you for the rescue! Another one has a chance. Good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

this is a video of the engine smoking im thinking valve stems?

i cleaned it

video of the 5mge

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
My black supra smokes the same way, if not worse. I think it's more than valve seals...

Bad valve seals will cause smoke at high vacuum, such as low RPMs, or just after closing the throttle from revving.

Bad rings will smoke when the engine is revved, or holding the throttle steady.

If the car has been sitting a while, the engine may just need some run time to close up all of the rust pitting in the cylinders with carbon. Then you may be left with just bad valve seals. Anyway, nice score with the leather interior!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My black supra smokes the same way, if not worse. I think it's more than valve seals...

Bad valve seals will cause smoke at high vacuum, such as low RPMs, or just after closing the throttle from revving.

Bad rings will smoke when the engine is revved, or holding the throttle steady.

If the car has been sitting a while, the engine may just need some run time to close up all of the rust pitting in the cylinders with carbon. Then you may be left with just bad valve seals. Anyway, nice score with the leather interior!
the guy told me it was sitting sense last winter im debating on registering but i really dont like the smoking. i love the leather interior that my favorite part lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah, Im also gonna say its more than valve seals. Mine smokes on startup and when idling at a traffic light. But once I get moving its over.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im gonna do a compression test to see what i find. i hope is not the rings:32: if it is i have to hurry up and rebuilt my 7m

·
Registered
136 Posts
i am thinking about doing a 7mge swap into a 85 toyota supra. since you have done the swap before is there any advice you can give me? where should i get my engine? will it bolt in as is or is there drilling/ welding invloled? any other difficult/ trouble spots i need to be ready for? please send me a privte message if you can help me out with some advice. thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought an 85 with stock 5MGE and over 200k miles, which smokes some...especially after sitting. Even smells of burning oil sometimes. I'm thinking/hoping it's mostly valve guides/seals. You might be interested in something I'm trying which I hope will reduce smoking, will find out fairly soon.

You may or may not have heard of Amsoil synthetic oils....I've been doing lots of research and am pretty convinced that if any oil or additive will make a difference, Amsoil will. Same research also has convinced me not to use any more of any kind of additives - Slick 50 or whatever. A top oil like Amsoil already has a careful blend of additives in the oil, and using more or different ones can cause more trouble than good.

As per Amsoil recommendations, I started by changing oil filter - then adding Amsoil Engine Flush and running at fast idle for 15-20 minutes, then draining oil and changing filter again (high quality one this time), and putting in new Amsoil Premium 10-40 full synthetic oil. The first filter catches some of the gunk which the engine flush loosens up - as too much could overload one filter. Amsoil makes many oils - this one (Premium) is recommended for older engines with flat tappets or for performance built engines, has extra zinc and stuff for better protection.

A couple of things to bear in mind before trying this - if your engine is burning significant amounts of oil you may make things worse with Amsoil or any synthetic - as the new oil will remove varnish and sludge buildup inside motor, and this layer of scum may be actually keeping seals from leaking. The synthetics (at least Amsoil and probably Mobil 1 or a few more top end products) will not damage the seals, just will clean the scum off them. Will actually keep seals pliable and give longer life. But if the seal is already worn or damaged, it could leak more after scum comes off.

If you don't want to drive a smoky car long enough to see if it's using lots of oil, maybe a compression test would tell you enough to decide if engine is basically sound.

My engine had already been running synthetic oil for awhile (though cheap stuff) so I didn't have as much risk of making it too clean for old seals. I'm just starting to put on enough miles to see if am actually burning any amount of oil.

Anyhow, I'm testing this plan on myself and you might want to wait a couple of weeks or so to see how i make out. Amsoil.com has some interesting testimonials including several people who had oil consumption and smoking reduced. They also make excellent synthetic gear lubes for trannys (manual and auto) and rear ends. I'm using Amsoil Severe Gear lube in rear end which is formulated for posi-trac. P-type Mk2's have posi. I don't know if any of the L Types came with - there's a number stamped on a plate under hood which can tell you if your car has posi. The Amsoil tech support line is very helpful - more so than their website recommendations.

How did your like your earlier car with the 7MGTE? I'd like more power than the stock 5M, but am leary about costs, complications, ease of working on myself, and reliability of the 7M Turbo conversion. Maybe a 6MGE? Or just some mods to the 5M? If you or anyone else has comments on the costs/benefits of various performance mods and engine swaps, would like to hear about it...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nice! Yea, I love those seats. Looks to be in fairly good shape. Keep us posted. I'm going to pick up a 6 mge today. I was lucky a member had one not too far from me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
definably let me know the results i been doin my research because the engine is sound, it idles perfect, has power, feels really nice nice crisp sound, everything is good except the fact that it smokes. i love the 7mgte the swap is pretty straight forward once you start doin it the only thing is the wiring pita specialy on the 82 but its and animal with the 7mgte i cant wait to get my done and put it in again.

I just bought an 85 with stock 5MGE and over 200k miles, which smokes some...especially after sitting. Even smells of burning oil sometimes. I'm thinking/hoping it's mostly valve guides/seals. You might be interested in something I'm trying which I hope will reduce smoking, will find out fairly soon.

You may or may not have heard of Amsoil synthetic oils....I've been doing lots of research and am pretty convinced that if any oil or additive will make a difference, Amsoil will. Same research also has convinced me not to use any more of any kind of additives - Slick 50 or whatever. A top oil like Amsoil already has a careful blend of additives in the oil, and using more or different ones can cause more trouble than good.

As per Amsoil recommendations, I started by changing oil filter - then adding Amsoil Engine Flush and running at fast idle for 15-20 minutes, then draining oil and changing filter again (high quality one this time), and putting in new Amsoil Premium 10-40 full synthetic oil. The first filter catches some of the gunk which the engine flush loosens up - as too much could overload one filter. Amsoil makes many oils - this one (Premium) is recommended for older engines with flat tappets or for performance built engines, has extra zinc and stuff for better protection.

A couple of things to bear in mind before trying this - if your engine is burning significant amounts of oil you may make things worse with Amsoil or any synthetic - as the new oil will remove varnish and sludge buildup inside motor, and this layer of scum may be actually keeping seals from leaking. The synthetics (at least Amsoil and probably Mobil 1 or a few more top end products) will not damage the seals, just will clean the scum off them. Will actually keep seals pliable and give longer life. But if the seal is already worn or damaged, it could leak more after scum comes off.

If you don't want to drive a smoky car long enough to see if it's using lots of oil, maybe a compression test would tell you enough to decide if engine is basically sound.

My engine had already been running synthetic oil for awhile (though cheap stuff) so I didn't have as much risk of making it too clean for old seals. I'm just starting to put on enough miles to see if am actually burning any amount of oil.

Anyhow, I'm testing this plan on myself and you might want to wait a couple of weeks or so to see how i make out. Amsoil.com has some interesting testimonials including several people who had oil consumption and smoking reduced. They also make excellent synthetic gear lubes for trannys (manual and auto) and rear ends. I'm using Amsoil Severe Gear lube in rear end which is formulated for posi-trac. P-type Mk2's have posi. I don't know if any of the L Types came with - there's a number stamped on a plate under hood which can tell you if your car has posi. The Amsoil tech support line is very helpful - more so than their website recommendations.

How did your like your earlier car with the 7MGTE? I'd like more power than the stock 5M, but am leary about costs, complications, ease of working on myself, and reliability of the 7M Turbo conversion. Maybe a 6MGE? Or just some mods to the 5M? If you or anyone else has comments on the costs/benefits of various performance mods and engine swaps, would like to hear about it...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice! Yea, I love those seats. Looks to be in fairly good shape. Keep us posted. I'm going to pick up a 6 mge today. I was lucky a member had one not too far from me.
thanks yea is the best supra i gotten so far. i never driven a 6mge but it sounds like a good engine from what i have seen on youtube.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Sunday i picked up a 5mge The price was right and now i have more time to rebuilt my 7mgte.

and this is the garage im patiently waiting.

i cant wait for it to be done. Only thing holding me back.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hope that's an 85 5MGE, otherwise you have a lot of parts swapping to do (throttle body, knock sensor on block, etc.). At least you'll have a garage to work in; I have to wait until next summer!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its been so long i had trouble finding the thread well here is an updated.
Got my 7mgte striped down to the block and ready for the machine shop.

pictures heading to the machine shop
.40 over je forge pistons

660cc injectors

61trim upgraded ct26

also does anyone know this bodykit

i also oder some suspension and brakes ill post pictures as soon as i get it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts