Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 86 supra for 152.50 on ebay...its a CA car and the guys sayes the body is in great shape just has a BHG.. Now I just have to figure out how to get it because I live in Indiana. I have a sister in Northern CA about 4 hours north of were it is. The Car is in Bakersfeild.

Has anybody ever shipped a car before if so how much would that cost.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It's based on weight, size of car and distance. Figure about anywhere between 400 and 900. Go to google and and type vehicle transporters and it should take you to a page with a quote system. You put in the car and other information and companies e-mail you their quote.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
908 bucks to ship it 2250 miles....hmmmm I don't think so. probably cost me 500 though to go pick it up myself.

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
rumptis said:
I have a 1998 Z28 do you think that could haul a car on a Tow Dolly ok?
A supra on a tow dolly doesn't make a whole lot of static tongue weight but but when braking, there is a rotational force that multiplies the tongue weight. Plus, the weight of the supra plus the dolly is going to be more than the z28 and there are no trailer brakes on a tow dolly. An emergency stop situation could easily push the z28 around and cause an accident. I think it'd be unsafe not to mention the wear and tear on a little car thats not built for towing. I know U-haul won't rent you a dolly when the towing vehicle isn't rated for it. I think you'd be better off to rent a truck and trailer. Fly out and rent one-way. Still thats gonna be an expensive car once you get it home. You didn't happen to save the life of someone with a big truck, did you?

Phil D.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No but I could kill a Trucker and steal his truck.

I could probably get a truck or large SUV to go out there and bring it back, I was just trying to think of a way to save some gas because my Z28 gets about 26 on the HWY thats without a car being pulled. It weights about 4000 pounds and the Supras are 3000 that would be like using a
S-10 to hual except I would have alot more power and bigger and better brakes.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
rent a new SUV, a suburban or tahoe or somethin, just dont tell them your towing a car home with it, then rent a tow dolly from uhaul :)

problem solved, AND you should get pretty good milage with a bigger vehicle like that, because its made to haul loads.

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
Braking is as much about traction as brake size. Trucks and SUVs are set up to handle the weight shifts from braking with a modest size trailer. The z28 is not. For safety sake you should rent a truck or SUV big enough to do the job. Look to rent a Chevy Trailblazer. They have a great in-line six that should get decent mileage and are rated for something like 5 or 6000lbs. I think they all have a class 3 hitch standard plus you should be able to find one in a rental fleet.

Phil D.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found out its an MKIII still for 150 bucks with NO rust at all is a dang good price. The guy said he bought it alittle over a year ago for 5000 bucks. What do you guys think I should do with the car.

·
Registered
790 Posts
A Mk III with a BHG? There's a shocker :wink: Is it a turbo? That that make a significant difference to me in consdering the cost.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
:shock: Bakersfield, I use to live in Bakersfield. Hell I just came from over there last night (visiting my parents). Its not far from where I am right now. I knew I should of read this post earlier :pat:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zank I didn't think you were allowed to post anymore under this name...hehe

Just kidding

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
I'd say sell it to Zank. Unless your looking for a mk3 na, then can be fun. You should be able to find a company that will ship it to you for around 700 us, try these guys...

http://www.hurstautotransport.com/benefits.html

I doubt you could bring it back for any cheaper then 700. Once you add up the rentals, gas, food, and accomadations for the length of the trip you won't have saved much money, if any. But if the car isn't worth the cash, unload it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a sister out there I want to go visit anyways, plus a freind will be going with me that use to live out there so we will be splitting the gas and stuff so it probably wont be too bad.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I'm suprised no one has said this before but why don't you just fix the BHG there and drive it home?

Will

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How are is it to do that while the engine is in the car and how long will that take, it has crossed my mind but what if things don't go so well, I will only have so much time off and will have to take probable at least the head to the machince shop to get it checked out and who knows how long that will take.

I will give that some more thought though.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
I don't know, driving a 150 dollar car across the country could be a little scary :wink: . But if that is all thats wrong with it it might be worth it. Just get a shop to do it there before you head back, shouldn't take them more then a couple days.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
a good shop should be able to do a head gasket in one, maybe two days, depends how busy they are, and how far in advance you book it.

and yeah, i wouldnt drive a car across the country till i knew exactly what was good and bad with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts