Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know this has been answered before but i just found a 86.5 7m-ge in a local junk yard. i have a 86 mk2 with tired 5m-ge and as far as i can tell the swap would be easy: wiring work, oil pan and pick tube from 5m, filter relocation kit, tach adapter, and something with the power steering(didnt find a full answer, and use 5m clutch and flywheel. is my research correct and does any body sell a wiring harness adapter or complete harness i plan on using the 7m ecu. let me know what if im right or direct me to a swap guide would be greatly appreciated if this is as easy as it seems ill buy this week. and i say easy cause i have mechanics skills and have a friend with his own shop so i want to get on this asap dont like sittin around so help me out thanks

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
This thread is in the turbo forum but I get the impression that you are not going turbo. Can you confirm that before we go any further?

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
no need to worry about tacho adapter - that's for 7mgte coilpack. 5mge and 7mge clutch, flywheel are same, again it's the 7mgte that's different. get the engine wiring harness and ecu from the donor car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks i have read the gte swap faq 3 times now and andy s swap page a couple times. i have to take what i need off at the junk yard and wanted to make sure i knew what i needed dont want to go there 4 times and all. also anybody with links to other peoples swaps would be nice i cant tell you how many different forums ive read posts on 7m swaps in past 4 days i just hate getting into projects with out knowing everything i can makes everything easier in the end thanks. o yea going to junkyard saturday car is in great shape automatic but nice it has blown head gasket and it was abandoned from reading thats common so i guess lucky me.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
Which is it? 7mge or 7mgte? click here for an interesting thread on a 7mge swap.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a 7mge, not gte. gte threads are alot more common so i try and ignore parts about turbo. yea read that one also, nd ordered parts from him

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
7m-ge = $250 + hg and studs = $500+
5m-ge = $3000+ to rebuild

math dont lie
and na motors done right just plain old kick ass

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Another thing to think about since you are getting a junkyard engine. Do you know the previous owner and do you know the full condition the the 7M in is? Could very well be that you get the 7M, and end up having to rebuild it also.

And where are you finding that it is going to cost you $3000 to rebuild your 5M?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
decoded the vin on the mk3 its a 86.5 witch i think is kool my mk2 is a 86 sound like a match. all i know about the mk3 is it has a blown hg with 70k miles. and 2 be honest i took a guess at 5m rebuild i read a few different ppls 5m build threads and if i were to rebuild mine i would probably put that much into it ie stroke, bore, higher compression, cams, os valves, injectors, blah blah blah. you know what i mean i hate sounding like a noob just guessing a # but ive been spending to much time reading forums. im really getting annoyed by posts from ppl who dont bother to read the faqs and threads on what there asking questions about if you search theres at least 3 different posts with the right answer. thats kinda what i did but i read and just needed reassurance that im comprehending whats going on hell i have at least 20 hours of reading in and i still feel like something is going to be over looked. also is anybody having trouble with the registry, faq, history, and supra toys links at the top of the page when clicked they open with no pictures and when clicking on the links from there "no page found on server" error, it could be my pc i wouldnt be surprised. thanks all

·
Registered
906 Posts
Wall of text = fail, fail, fail ... hurt my eyes to read ..................
Learn punctuation.

BHG on 7m = just as likely toneed a rebuild, as the 5m ... water in oil ? if so -- count on putting bearings in ... if not --- count on putting bearings in.

And ... I soooooo called this one in Email exchange :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wall of text = fail, fail, fail ... hurt my eyes to read ..................
Learn punctuation.

BHG on 7m = just as likely toneed a rebuild, as the 5m ... water in oil ? if so -- count on putting bearings in ... if not --- count on putting bearings in.

And ... I soooooo called this one in Email exchange :)

hmmm my eyes hurt from reading everything i could about this project over past week since i found it last Saturday and i am going to get up at 8am on my day off to get it.

but in all that reading i havent heard anybody say that about the bearings sure some will need more work but with NO coolant in oil thats still clean enough to see thru or oil

in coolant or oil all over the place ill take the chances. btw first thing im doing when i get there is crank it over see if it starts and a compression test whether it starts or not.

they said hg but i wana make sure, if it sounds the way my 86 sounded when i got it (dented oil pan took out the oil pump all bearings either gone or no finish lots of shavings swaped motor from 85 i had with roached body)

i wont be leaving with motor but with electronics for later use. i may be a noob to using the forums but in no way am i to working on cars.

we didnt exchange email cause that would be helping someone, is that better on your eyes i would hate not to help.

·
Registered
906 Posts
we didnt exchange email cause that would be helping someone, is that better on your eyes i would hate not to help.
OK, you are correct, 1 email each, is not an "exchange".

For Public Record ... you asked if I would build a sub-harness ... I declined, saying, I don't care if I ever open those books again, except for personal use. I also stated the "bribe" it would take for me to do so again, would probably be more than you paid for the engine, and would be at least double, of what I used to charge.

Did I leave anything out ?

My "old" price, is, actualy more than you paid for the engine. So, even at that price, my guess, as I've dealt with Many people doing this on the cheap, is you would have ignored me, called me f'n crazy, or cussed me out .... BTDT.

You want a truthful price, for me to open the books again ? $850 -- IF -- you can supply the plugs I need.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well im off to the junk yard. thats ok about the sub harness a lil wiring will be fine for me.
we will find out more about the motor in about an hour i will let you all know in a few mabey
some pics, engines are a beautiful thing

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
Search rod knock on this or any other 7M forum, and you will see why you need new bearings in an "unknown" engine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i went to the junk yard and screw those guys. get there nd there tryin to make me pay
700 now after we agreed on 200 cause its blown and its still blown. so instead went to
parts store got a few things. took supra to my buddys and did calipers, pads rotors,
bearings, ss brake lines, clutch master cly and slave cyl. waiting on shocks, struts, and
strut mounts from 935 Motorsports hope they come soon. ill probly statr a new thread some where with pics to show off a lil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts