Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Still too much fuel. On the ground now. First drive was 10 feet, knew it would be iffy because clutch hydraulics have big leak. Only got 1 shift, lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
Any first drive that doesn't result in terminal engine or tranny failure is a good first drive!

It sounds great! Can't wait to hear it in person.

I'll send you an invite to the Ogopogo group on FB. Its one of the few groups that actually works better on FB then forums, its 100% social.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
Well, I utterly failed at that. Turns out I can't send an invite to a car (your blog name). I'm subscribed to your blog, you know what to do if you want me to send you an invite to the group.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I sent you a pm, send it to me directly. Thank you, hopeful car is tripworthy by then..

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So, an update of sorts. Took the trans out to diagnose issue. Turns out bearing seal blew, no line leak. It appears bearing overextended. Redid all my measurements to set up throwout, and the stock t56 bearing packaged with the uz swap kit needs 3/8 of shims to set up correctly. However, 3/8 of shims puts the bearing retainer quill into the clutch. I have to use a floating style like a twin disk, to get correct setup. So, anyone else thinking of this, if you use uz swap stuff, just get the adaptor and flywheel, the t/o supplied with kit will not work. Otherwise, not much to report, taking oppurtunity to do some other things while the car is waiting on pieces

·
Whistles
1,047 Posts
At least it's an easy and relatively inexpensive fix.

Always a relief!

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Bought bearing. Set up with 3/8 of shims behind base, and approx 5/16 of shims on inner quill. Ended up with correct setup after having to buy an extra set of shims for small setup changes. Bled, and final measurements include stroke and total range...well, not enough stroke....gosh darnit. So, need more fluid/bigger bore master. Stock is 5/8 bore, need a 3/4 according to math...except toyota mainly makes 5/8 bore. However, early 80s landcruisers have a 3/4 bore, wahoo. Picked one up and installed it after several small mods. Bolt pattern is not the same, but one stud fits. There is a dimple in the firewall that provides a flat surface for mounting, but shape only allows one orientation, so cylinder is slightly offset from vertical. Clevis is different, push rod is larger, it doesnt plug and play..however, it was exactly what I needed, cluch appears to be fine. Ran out of time today, have to put exhaust and driveline back up....

·
Registered
142 Posts
You did not say what year Land Cruiser clutch master you got, but the 1987 is a direct bolt in swap for original mk2 one. Must be you got the 81 or so which has different part#.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You had a similar issue? Most part manu list just 1 choice from 81-88, so not sure whats going on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
When I did my LS swap I used an 87 clutch master and found it fit right in. Looking at rockauto it looks like 84-85 landcruisers switched design even though both before and after are 3/4 cylinders. I put the first one in over 10 years ago and just replaced it about a year ago.

·
Registered
790 Posts
When I did my LS swap I used an 87 clutch master and found it fit right in. Looking at rockauto it looks like 84-85 landcruisers switched design even though both before and after are 3/4 cylinders. I put the first one in over 10 years ago and just replaced it about a year ago.
I'm using the 87 landcruiser master as well. Had to open up the center hole a hair and cut the push rod length down as it fouled on the clutch pedal when adjusted. Clevis was the same as well.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Drove car around parking lot at shop today. Clutch works, however can't get a gear with engine running and car stopped. Starting with bleeding clutch, it hasn't been done wit trans in place yet. Just put putted around...

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
[/URL][/IMG]Bleeding clutch again did the trick. Driven it around lot and over to gas station.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
[/URL][/IMG]Messin around with a hood idea. T/b and intakes wont clear..

·
Whistles
1,047 Posts
Nostrils of a dragon. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Had another minor mechanical setback, and took the opportunity to totally revise my throttle setup. No pic yet, but cables, pedal setup, and bracketing have all changed. Did some more running around and timing and fueling were off, now spot on 10 btdc and car now accepts throttle as fueling settings were too lean under load.

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
It must sound like a symphony when you open the throttle(S).
Monster hood scoop,coming up.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It's LOUD..... but I like it.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Did I mention it pulls like a damn train? Fast and Loud.....

41 - 60 of 90 Posts