Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Grannas racing sells a full 2jz/t56 swap kit for the mk2. As I have the v12, I had to do a few things different, but I started with his mk2 crossmember, electric speedo adaptor, pigtail kit, and the t56 itself, modified by him to fit mk2 tunnel. I bought a new bellhousing and castlemain t56 to toyota bell adaptor. Lonnie at Suprastore provided the flywheel, and clutch. He got Spec to make up a custom one for me. Driveshafts NW made me a 3" driveshaft with a 1310 rear/1350 front and a drop out yoke. Tremec itself is gm front shaft(longer) and wide ratio with .80/.63 od, not the crazy .5 they offer.

Reactions: ddd228

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Door Handle Wood Tool Household hardware

Wood Rectangle Gas Hardwood Tool

Wood Gas Automotive tire Auto part Flooring

Bicycle part Gas Auto part Nickel Cylinder

Reactions: supra_toy

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
So you can install ds without dropping diff?

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Yes.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Yeah I have the same thing on my R154, Driftmotion sells the yoke.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
So, last year, about this time, I had finished several maintenance items, and some appearance items, and was deciding on next large project. I knew I was already at limits of w58 in car. My ITB project stalled out, and I decided that in the meantime, I would investigate upgrades to trans. I'd wanted a six speed, the cd009 had been on my original build list, but got put off. So I researched sis speed trans, and history of what had been used in the v12. At about this time, a t56 swap adaptor/v12 belhousing/pilot bushing package showed up on several websites. I contacted the gentleman about the adaptor, he would not split the package, so I made an offer, and Australian post delivered these pieces. I narrowed my choices to all the variations of t56, and what would work best with mk2/v12, used, rebuilt, or new. A note here about crambos build-although he had a t56 and a v12 for his mk2, his setup is so different that very little of his trans specific mods were applicable to my build....
Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Rim Fixture
Tape measure Ruler Office ruler Automotive tire Tool
Automotive tire Wood Rim Door Audio equipment
Automotive parking light Helmet Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper
Tire Wheel Tread Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Fast forward about 6 months, my research had led me to think seriously about buying a mk2 swap kit from grannas, and finding a flywheel/clutch combo somewhere, but, no one had documented pieces for the v12, even though some were running around. Even my fallback of using uz swap parts was the same, most documented swap packages were toyota trans or cdoo9.....I contacted several vendors, but no one would sell me their pieces without their swap adaptors, or for the v12 crank pattern, or no single disc setups, etc. I contacted Lonnie at Suprastore and offered to buy their cd009 uz flywheel and I would make it work in this app. Originally reluctant, they agreed to sell me the flywheel, and reach out to spec to get clutch made. I can't find the pics I took of the brand new pieces, but here they all are installed..
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Alloy wheel Automotive design

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
One of the many things that happened last year was my storage unit that I used as a shop, had a 75 percent price increase when the local covid rent controls went away. I could no longer afford it, and moved out the month before Vegas. I began to put away money for a tremec with that money, and began to shop in earnest. After Christmas, I quoted several used and new units, and quickly found out that A: used units are in high demand, and gone as soon as they are listed, and B: there's dozens of vendors with new ones on the shelf, and they are $$$$$. Shite. This is about the time I decided on the grrannas mk2 kit pieces, and put in my first quote with Joel. Had the funds in April, and soon I had this....
Font Flooring Wood Floor Asphalt
Wood Rectangle Window Tints and shades Art
Asphalt Automotive tire Road surface Line Gas
White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part
White Light Product Motor vehicle Gas
Hood Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Everyone in the pool. Having the pieces in one place allowed for lots of mockup and measuring photo ops.......
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Drum
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gas Electrical wiring
Black Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive exterior Cable Bumper Auto part Gun accessory
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Driveshaft photos above in this thread, more to come later on parts issues. On to installation.
Exhaust is split in just 1 place on each side, first step on a lot of underneath car work is drop or remove exhaust, lol. In this instance, it's because bell housing room is so tight, and steering rack and starter are so close, that in order to remove or install trans, engine needs to come up and forward-just resting on the anti roll bar is perfect. I've done this way to many times now...so it doesn't take long. Measured a few things, then took w58 out. Some views of hard lines that may be relocated, the pilot took 12 paper towels total and a cup of water to press out, lol. Also, just like uz and other split pan toyotas, with the engine tilted back and the sump full, oil comes out flywheel mount holes. That's why the bolts are there....
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Tire Tread Synthetic rubber Rim
Automotive tire Wood Tread Grey Tire
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Jet engine Aircraft engine
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Eye Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Road surface Asphalt Grey Tar Electric blue

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
So, this is where the fun begins. Pilot is 2 sleeves, as no one makes off the shelf unit with right specs on height. You need a little extra to reach t56 shaft. Flywheel was press fit tight, I actually took a day off to freeze it, and it was still really tight. Clutch pieces, then bellhousing, easy peasy. This adaptor, unlike w series one, allows you to just install transmission.......theoretically
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design Locking hubs
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Alloy wheel Automotive design
Automotive tire Rim Automotive design Electric blue Engineering
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Tread Alloy wheel

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Before I start this next post, I just want to say that all choices made here were mine, they do NOT reflect on the vendors or anyone else. Ok. So I went to install trans and it wouldn't fit. It was close, but it was fouling on to bearing hoses. OK, wassup. Well, as part of trying out an unmatched setup(catlemain t56 adaptor, 1uz cd4e flywheel, single disc street clutch) When I went to measure air gap, provisional mock up results gave me over an inch of spacer needed. Knowing that, I still chose to go with the conventional stock Camaro hydraulic throwout. I was trying to keep from drilling holes in my brand spanking new from Toyota Bellhousing. I've not had good luck with any of the aftermarket floating bearing style, and neither have many others. Well, the inch of spacer means the fittings foul the spacer/adaptor join. Also, the stock hose position comes out the side, where there is no damn room at all. Well, the t56 has a nice big inspection port further down, just route the hoses there, right? Well, turns out that the shortest adaptor pieces foul the same place. So, guess what? Its either drill/grind holes in brand new bellhousing, or at meeting of adaptor/bellhousing. Final solution is shown here. Because one line is on b/,h side to start, this also means I can't install b/h and trans seperately, bummer... I know it looks funky, but It is best routing available with choices I made. Had I chose a twin disc for instance, not an issue. Had I waited for suprastore to produce their 1uz /t56 flywheel...Had I bought a complete 1uz adaptor/flywheel setup from one of the other suppliers....but, lead times are crazy long and I was already in a year and a lot of $$$, so improvise/overcome. Also shown are the lines being grouped and moved. And the wiring harness I made for the reverse solenoid,speed sensor, and reverse light switch. I cannibalize a bad reverse switch for the stock plug for that so it plugs right in, then the wiring will go through the firewall where speedo cable was to lockout box. Speedo box doesn't need external signals, so hot, ground, and cable for speedo and that's done....Trans is now mated to engine, next up is bleeding the throwout, then bolting it all in.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Tire Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Mirror Bumper
Automotive tire Tire Tread Wheel Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Camera accessory Gas Cameras & optics Auto part

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I ended up rerouting those brake and fuel lines using hardline fittings (fuel) and flare nuts (brake) and soft lines so they aren't so cramped by the edge of the bellhousing. 2JZ/R154 setup with a multiplate clutch means I need lots of clearance to remove / install the trans as the thick clutch needs to be pre-installed on the engine as opposed to the stock pull type R154 setup.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
The trans is bolted on, clutch is bled and working. Next up will be a startup to verify everything is bolted up right, then driveshaft on , trans filled, run it on stands, bolt up exhaust and motor mounts,, then trans mount,, then electrical hookup.. Should be done tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
As fitting the V12 in place was certainly a challenge, the trans is too. You have some serious adaptability skills!
Congrats 👍.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Got it together and have some issues to take care of. Have major flywheel runout, have to pull and see what's wrong. Also still need room behind shifter area for top of trans.

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
You're not afraid of challenges!
I'm sure it will run soon 👍

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Thanks Jocelyn. It's almost back together again. I beat the top and sides of the tunnel so hard I split the seams.....better be enough now, lol. Flywheel runout spec'd out ok, the vibration may have been something else completely.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Vibration is still there. So it's coming apart to get flywheel/clutch assembly balanced. Good news is, rest of install issues are sorted.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Old drivetrain back in, vibration gone. Machine shop has flywheel/pp to balance.

141 - 160 of 162 Posts