Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty sure I'm ok here but just in case someone has tried it and failed. I got another TPS from the junkyard on Friday off of an 87 Cressida(Sept 86 build). I dont see any reason why it would be any different than the 85 Supra TPS but they have different part numbers on them. However both Partsamerica.com and Autozone.com agree that they are both the same sensor.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I dont know why it wouldn't work myself,.. check the number on the top to see if they have the same box made on top of them. If not, I have one or two sitting around that I'm sure we can work something out on. :) PM me if it doesn't happen to work...

Scotty

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I would call the Toyota parts dept. to verify the part number compatability. Ususally, two different part numbers indicate a different part even though they may physically look the same on the outside.

·
Registered
875 Posts
hey
i stuck an 86 cressida motor into my 82 mk2
had to sue the mk2 tps as the cressida was ecu advanced.
the mk2 tps was vacuum advanced.
if they both use the same source, it should be sweet

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wes,

From Personal experience, I know that the TPS is one part that Toyota did change some of the part numbers. I just bought one for the 90 turbo engine 2 weeks ago and the part number had been changed by Toyota, so the part numbers don't necessarily have to match. Could mean that one is just newer than the other.

Look closely at the inside of the two side by side. Is the orientation of the metals tangs exactly the same? If so then they are most likely interchangeable. The other thing to check is the orientation of the pinouts on each. With the 7mge and 7mgte, they look to be the same part but the signals are reversed between the two and are not interchangeable.

HTH

Leslie

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
wes, its the same. btw, i got you a tps sat and went to the fair grounds. i thought you siad the auto cross was this past weekend. lmk if you still need it.
william

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No autocross this past weekend, sorry if I confused you. The year end SCCA awards banquet is this Saturday the 6th in Plant City. I was able to use the Cressida one I got Friday, if you want me to I'll buy the one you got for me too, or you can keep it thats up to you.

Now for the weird part. I put on the Cressy TPS yesterday in a hurry before I had to drive to Ocala. It had an 1100 rpm idle the whole time but otherwise the car ran exactly the same as before. I didnt have time to check it untill after I had driven 50 miles but when I did check it I realized that I never plugged the TPS back in after adjusting it. So I was driving with no TPS at all and the car ran like a scalded dog as usual with no hesitation. I dont think the car should run exactly the same without the TPS plugged in and there should be a CE light but and codes but there were none. I think I will test the wiring at the ECU to make sure there isnt a broken wire somewhere but it seems really weird. Maybe theres something wrong with my ECU. Something is defiantely wrong though I should not be getting 13city/20highway mileage with the mods I have when I was getting 17city/24highway before. By the way this all started after I put the ported head on. And it got lousy gasmileage before I put the header and 2.5" cat on it a week later so I doubt its related to that.

·
Registered
833 Posts
THE TPS you bought off the 87 Cressida is probaly faulty as well, if your getting terrible gas mileage. I am getting about 14 to 20 mpg in my car right now, but I blame my TPS and my heavy lead foot. :wink:

·
Registered
591 Posts
i have a leadfoot and my cressida still gets 17 to the gallon. i always say if your getting bad mileage it's prolly time for a new o2 sensor, new air filter, and new aluminum foot, a timing check couldn't hurt. when my cams were off my car hardly had the balls to pull itself to 115 and got 12mpg in town doing it and after i fixed the timing i've never gotten below 16mpg no matter how hard i drive it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts