Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our '86 MK2 has the factory 3rd brake light, but due to age and various other factors, the housing had melted a bit and because of that, the 3rd brake light hasn't worked in several years.

Here's the original '86 Supra 3rd brake light...

I was trying to decide which route to go to replace it, and I finally settled on installing the 3rd brake light from the '88 Supra turbo's wing! I wanted to keep it all Supra! ;)

Wiring it up was very easy. I mostly used the original wiring from the '86 light, but had to extand it just a tad. It's all plug-n-play now, baby!!! The pictures should show/give you an idea of how simple it was to install the light on the wing. I did have to drill new holes for the mounting bolts, but that was easy cheesy!

This shows how the wiring for the original '86 light runs through the spoiler and down into the hatch. There is an extra hole drilled through the wing and the hatch on the lower passenger side.

Here I've got the new '88 light mounted to the bottom side of the '86 wing. I had to drill new mounting holes for the bolts, and I used some extra hardware to help make sure it was going to be stable.

Here's the bottom side of the light mounted on the wing...

Another shot of the '88 light mounted. (I haven't yet put the bottom side of the wing back onto the main piece.)

And now the money shots showing the '88 turbo 3rd brake light fully installed on the '86 wing...

Hope you enjoyed this!! I know I'm very excited to finally have this working once again!

Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry!

The pictures are being hosted through Yahoo! Geocities, and evidently the hourly data transfer rate has been exceeded! :(

Hope to have it back up sometime soon!

EDIT: as of Fri, Aug 1, the pictures are now hosted through Photobucket! :)

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
that's looks sweet! I was never a fan of the 86's third brake light, but that is nice.

·
POTATO
17,332 Posts
Looks decent. For somereason, it strikes me that it would look better under the sunshade though, bc of the angles.

Anyway, good job :)

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The only way to mount on sunshade would probably be some double sided 3M tape?

·
POTATO
17,332 Posts
Had a 3rd brake light mounted on my 1st black Supra, had no idea how it was mounted but it stayed up there fine and looked good (IMO)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only way to mount on sunshade would probably be some double sided 3M tape?
Had a 3rd brake light mounted on my 1st black Supra, had no idea how it was mounted but it stayed up there fine and looked good (IMO)
That looks good, Tanya, but would've been more than I could handle to get it mounted up there.

Didn't Don C install an LED light from a Chevy Tahoe on Agatha?! I think it was up under the early style shade though. And he did have the lower half of the '85 wing on there too.

BTW, here's a shot of the new light I installed lit up at night...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was thinking about mounting a thin strip style led brake light that ran the width of the rear spoiler on my 85 sdr.

Looks great good job
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :)

I had considered getting an LED light from a late '90s Chevy Tahoe, but decided to keep the car all Supra on the outside!! ;)

In a perfect world, I'd be able to have the LED 3rd light from an '89+ Supra turbo installed. That would definitely need to be done by a professional body man due to all the fiberglass work needed to graft that in.

Oh well. We can all dream, right?! ;)

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Tanya, automotive double sided tape would work fine for that application. That's what's used to hold most after market sideskits on!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before pics of the '88T light

Here is a shot showing the difference between the '87T light (top) and the '88T light (bottom)

Here are some shots of the '88 light before I painted it...

I'm thinking that some kind of bracket had to be made to get the light to stick to the underside of the top wing on Tanya's old car. Looking at these photos, it doesn't seem like there's much they could've used to help the double-sided tape stick to the top of the light.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I like it.

I think either location is a significant safety improvement (too many people are used to seeing that third light - I always worry about not having one) - even if it's not always quite authentic to the era.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Didn't Don C install an LED light from a Chevy Tahoe on Agatha?! I think it was up under the early style shade though. And he did have the lower half of the '85 wing on there too.
Dave,

Nice install!!! Looks like it belongs there!!!

Regarding your question. Don had an entire 85 hatch spoiler assembly installed on Agatha's hatch & he "custom" grafted a install location onto the spoiler surround, so that the early "sunshade" spoiler installed on top of it. The next time any of you see Agatha, take a close look at the mounting locations. It's a very "subtle" install & the early spoiler was not just "slapped" onto the spoiler surround.

IIRC, I believe the light is underneath the spoiler.

And NOPE!!!! The light assembly is NOT from a Chevy Tahoe!! It's from a 92 Paseo!!!

BTW... Is there ANYTHING from the old 86 light assembly that can still be reused??? Main reason being....... I know as of 9 years ago, the 86 3rd brake light assembly was a CLASS E item & there was only ONE left, somewhere on the East Coast (can't remember the cost, other than it was in triple digits). Needless to say, I'm pretty sure at this point, it's now CLASS F.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there ANYTHING from the old 86 light assembly that can still be reused??? Main reason being....... I know as of 9 years ago, the 86 3rd brake light assembly was a CLASS E item & there was only ONE left, somewhere on the East Coast (can't remember the cost, other than it was in triple digits). Needless to say, I'm pretty sure at this point, it's now CLASS F.
Hey Chris,

I finally got around to taking pics of the original '86 3rd brake light...

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/supradavis/86supra_3rd_light/

You can see in a couple of the pics where the metal melted through the plastic housing. I figured the best course of action was to completely replace it.

If anyone feels like trying to salvage it, I'll be at SILV next week from Tuesday thru Friday!! :) Otherwise, pay for shipping and it's yours! :)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts