Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes you heard it right. I have been seeing countless threads mentioning putting a 7m head on a 5m block, well its time to try it.This got me thinking a NA monster.

get a 5m block
new bearings
hone cylinders
new rings
get a extra set of 7m pistons
I will use the 5m crank and rods (of course) with 7m pistons
and last i will slap my 7m head on after I do new seals etc....
pacesetter headers
3inch custom intake
DYNO

Im hoping this wont be a interference motor

now for the wiring I will use my wiring harness :thumbsup: courtesey of shawn (junkie)
EXPECT THIS TO BE A SLOW PROCESS (A VERY SLOW PROCESS)

Besides being rev happy do any of you see any beneficial gain in this? tq/hp wise?
I just want to see if this is even possiable?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
8M-GE? hehe never heard anyone call it that before, but yes it is possible.

It shouldn't be an interference engine the way you plan to build it.

Are you building the head and balancing the rotating assembly to get it to rev higher?

Gains I'd expect to see would be a better flowing head with more/cheaper after market head upgrades.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noooope just a very very cheap build to see if it can even be done. Might balance just the pistons, but I plan not to mix rods lol... but this will be extremly slowwwww.
Yes I am building the head because I am going to reuse the head on my 7mge in the 84 unless I like the output of the 8m soooo.... Im just curious about power and torque lol
will be cool
Im just going to find a 5m shortblock!!! that will make it easy. Actually thats all i need and 7m pistons.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
This is a 6.5 or 6 1/2mge As the 6m got 1 point for the 7m crank and rods or 1/2 point per change. This is not a 8mge as it only has one change to it the head. Pistons do not count. The 7mge has crank, rods,head and pulley changes.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Yeah It's probably not a good idea to mix 7M rods on a 5M crank. haha..

You'll just have be the one to tell us I guess on the power.

My buddy Norm who runs the salt flats has mocked up a 7M head on a 5M block. We we're thinking that it would be beneficial to use this head as we could build it to flow more and rev higher. His current 5M revs to 8,500 rpm, but tends to run out of air in the top end under load.

Hasn't it also been called a 57M? or am I thinking of a 7M bottom end on a under a 5M head?

Later,
Elno

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
What you can do to really raise comp in there is use the 7m crank with 5m rods and machine down the outer part of the pistons to make a higher dome. You will be left with weak ring lands but it will be a blast for a bit.
This is just a mock up piston

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Kenny started the 8mge crap, pretty much as a joke, and it'skinda stuck. I agree with Jason ... 6.5m.

Rev happy bitch, low torque until higher RPM's, and HP in between is my guess. Try it, you may like it, you may not. I've considered it, and, have all the parts here. I just have better things to do with my time.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
No, it is called an 8MGE, because that's what this combo was called many months ago when this was brought up. It's sorta like the headlight whiskers; they're not called that from the factory, but it's called that in our forum and the name just stuck, so it's what they are known by now. Since we've already started calling this combo an 8MGE, it would be nice to keep it that way for search purposes.

Kenny was gonna do it (he has all the parts already, engine-wise). I think someone a long time ago already did it, as I've heard about it being done from some of the senior members here. Should be a high-revving engine, so don't expect as much torque as a 7MGE, but maybe the powerband will be shifted higher. Might be a good match for the 4.30 rear end, or the 4.10s.

I was just thinking how you would route the belts with the 5M pulley. I think you would have to delete the A/C, and put the power steering pump in its place like DAMIAN did (he has a thread on this). The alternator and water pump would remain the same as 5MGE.

Edit: No offense to you Shawn, I started posting this right after Leon's post, and it took me a while to type. :D Ya know, little boy here to take care of for pregnant mommy, gets me distracted mid-post. :)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
The 6mge is perfect for the 4.30s as its loves to rev and still make decent low end.
My new up coming combo will have a 3.5 lsd.

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
FNG...

Of course, this subject has never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever come up in the past - even on the yahoo list! This is pioneer talk from a true Supra trail blazer strapped in the saddle of the 21 century.

Sarcasm off* Generally, the alpha numeric code would first denote more displacement and/or better heads. In this case, nothing is new. It's a 5/7mg or 7/5mg.

Also, why use the inferior 5m block? In pure form you want a 5m crank + 7mgte(zzzzzz). Anyways, good luck with that 155rwhp.

Oh yeah, NA and the word monster only ring true w/ domestic V8s.:)

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Yup see and the search button clears it up for me too. I remember years ago people talking about the 57M and it was the other way around like I was thinking.

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=11241&highlight=57m

The 8M does sound like a good idea, I'm looking for a 5M bottom end to use as well. As I have a spare 7M-GTE head I'd like to mate to one. This combo should be very fun and I can't wait for more people to do it.

hope you get it done MoonPie33.

Later,
Olne

edit:

WadeT said:
Sarcasm off* Generally, the alpha numeric code would first denote more displacement and/or better heads. In this case, nothing is new. It's a 5/7mg or 7/5mg.
See I thought I heard about this on the yahoo list years ago. Back when i used to reply to the mailing. "Why are you guys emailing me? I don't know anything about these cars!" yup I did comments like that for a while..

·
POTATO
17,207 Posts
Not to be an ass, but I am not calling this, or any other similar project an "8MGE" unless it is 3.2 liters or more, LOL. The numbers in the series engine sequence generally go up with displacement... 3M, 4M, 5M, 6M, etc. to me an "8MGE" would be a 7MGE that's been bored and stroked to the max limits.

At any rate, good luck with this

Also, why use the inferior 5m block? In pure form you want a 5m crank + 7mgte(zzzzzz). Anyways, good luck with that 155rwhp.

hey I was proud of my miserable 155rwhp :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
So I guess Toyota failed with the M and 3M and a couple of others... ;)

I'd call this setup 7/5M, since a 57M is the exact opposite of what he is doing. 75M mer.

But which ever you prefer to call it is up to you. lawl.

Later,
Lnoe

·
POTATO
17,207 Posts
So I guess Toyota failed with the M and 3M and a couple of others... ;)

What are you referring to??

M to M-TE were all 2.0 liter
2M was 2.3
3M was 2.0 (probably a reason for that, since it was only available for the 2000GT... it is a square engine like the original M engines, just an upgraded cylinder head)
4M was 2.6

the general pattern = bigger number, bigger displacement for the M motors. There are a bunch of discrepancies for the R motor series though. The 8-RG was a bigger displacement than the 16-R.

It may not make sense to others, but you don't need to agree with me, because it's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it :)

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I was referring Toyota moving the series along but keeping the same displacement. As in the M and 3Ms being 2.0L just diff. heads. same with 6M and 7M. So 4 of the 7 were the same displacement. merp.

If you think about it this is the same idea. keeping the same displacement/block, just upgrading the head.

Don't forget the UZ series either.

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing, just thread jacking. ;)

·
POTATO
17,207 Posts
After I typed up what I did, I thought about it the way you are.... and then I was like screw it, I think "8MGE" just looks weird :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Who cares what it's called lol Tayna i agree it sounds wierd and it will be wierd.
Ill take donations if anybody wants to supply parts like: pistons, rings :D

1 - 20 of 150 Posts