Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any comparison threads for this topic. 90915-YZZB1 is the OEM filter, 90915-YZZD3 is just a long version (higher capacity). For anyone wondering, post up the pros/cons of running the longer filter vs the oem (or vice versa), assuming one can fit either without clearance issues.

·
POTATO
17,207 Posts
I'm running a G2 filter on my 86, it even says M series on the back. My 6M car always gets a K&N filter though, I'll try to run the larger one on the 6M because I beat on it relentlessly

·
Premium Member
5,517 Posts
I like the smaller one. Less chance of a dry start up. The bigger ones takes more time to fill up and deliver oil pressure.
That was why I gave away my WIX filters.I peel apart my old oil filters to see what they trapped-MINIMAL!Same with my spin-on transmission filter.Just some very fine dust.My magnets catch most of those particles.Pumpkin,too.

·
Registered
15,005 Posts
A larger oil filter will not cause dry starts unless you are using a POS Fram filter. Oil filters have anti drain back valves so that the oil does not drain back down through the pump. The Fram filters have a cardboard valve which fails. I always use Purolator or Wix filters and never have an issue. For N/A 5mge/6mge/7mge engines, I have always used PL30001. This is for a 93 Ford Mustang 5.0. Spins right on, and is much larger so increases the oil and filtering capacity. I use this same filter on my wifes 2007 4Runner Sport with 4.0 V6 as well. It barely fits on thw 4Runner though. My LS460L uses cartridge filters so I cant use it on that. I would have used it on my 93 GS300 if it would have cleared the motor mount bracket. Instead I used the longer filter of the same diameter. L201195. The GS300 has 440k miles on it. Original 2jzge engine btw. Never had an issue with dry starts.

When changing the oil, you should always pull the EFI fuse and crank the engine until the oil light goes out, then put the fuse back and start it up. This is what prevents the dry starts. I have always done this. My old daily GS300 still runs great and has nearly half a million miles on it. Only reason I stopped driving it was I upgraded to the LS460L.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
The GS300 has 440k miles on it. Original 2jzge engine btw. Never had an issue with dry starts.

When changing the oil, you should always pull the EFI fuse and crank the engine until the oil light goes out, then put the fuse back and start it up. This is what prevents the dry starts. I have always done this. My old daily GS300 still runs great and has nearly half a million miles on it. Only reason I stopped driving it was I upgraded to the LS460L.
Nice mileage on the GS!

How do you like the 460? I love my 400... but keep looking at 04-06 430's...

·
Registered
15,005 Posts
I didn't do as much research on the LS460 as I should have(didnt think I needed to since my previous LS and GS were so solid). They have a lot of apparently common issues that can be VERY expensive to repair. Luckily I can do the repairs myself. Once everything was repaired, it is a great car, but for how long? WIth the way Toyota and Lexus are going on quality, it may be the last Lexus I buy sadly. As the engineer at the Lexus dealer told me, all MFG's are cutting costs to meet regulations etc.. (My car was over $80k new btw with the options package it has) So I told him, if I am going to get a POS anyway, why pay extra for a Lexus when it seems Hyundai is just as good of quality if not better now days? He did not like that and turned around and walked away pretty pissed off. The service guy at the counter said he has heard countless LS460 owners say basically the same thing, though not as harsh and blunt as I said it. The only real issue I have left is the interior. IT is a known issue to "fall apart" and they were going to replace the remaining bad interior pieces for the previous owner bu they have been on "back order" forever, even though if you pay for them they are available in 2-3 days. Now that I own the car, they are trying to tell me they will not pay for the parts. The glove box alone is $1k at employee cost. I know someone that works there. Screw that!

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
I've gone back to Toyota filters over anything else; even over K&N. Outside of a dry sump system, I'll follow the steps of what the front runners are doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts