Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found a safe reliable suv for my daughter::...what a deal !!

I have been searching for a low millage auto toyota 4runner for a long time for her...everything was just too much money for a first car.

1999 Isuzu Trooper auto w/85K mint condition, I would say..like new. $1800 from a elderly couple, customers of mine.

any experience with these things (no negative thoughts, I already bought it :ugh:) they make great power and have tons of cool 4x4 handling features, winter/power/4hi/4lo at a press of a button, extremely comfortable, upright seating and fairly good millage for a big kar.

Pics:..snowing agian:sadsmilie

·
Registered
157 Posts
My buddy has a Trooper..probably ealry to mid 90's? Eitherway, it's been a good car for him. Must be, anyway, he's been driving it for some 6-8 years.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just remind him not to take any corners fast in that. A friend of mine had one and it was pretty top heavy around corners, worse than my Bronco by far.

But all in all a good deal for $1800! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Like Dreadydiggs said. The cornering is the biggest issue I've heard about them. They tend to be a little top heavy. If she's not an aggressive driver she should be good.

·
Founding Member
6,522 Posts
My nephew last summer bought I think its a 2000 or 2001 Rodeo with about the same mileage. It seems like it ought to be a good quality vehicle. The only issue is that its frequently throwing a transmission code. We've researched and found that this dreaded code, tho rare, has defied all attempts to diagnose and is virtually un-fixable. Its a GM tranny and some GM cars have the same issue. Isuzu nor GM have ever come up with an absolute certain fix. Many transmissions have been rebuilt or replaced, many wiring harnesses and computers changed out only to have the code come back again. The Rodeo tho runs and drives just fine, so he just ignores it. The only bad thing is that if it does ever have another problem that throws a code, he won't know it because the damn check engine light is on about 1/3rd of the time. He got it inspected during a brief window that the light was off. Don't know if the check engine light would cause them to fail it tho as its not an emissions-related code.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I owned one like it a few years back. I loved the comfort of it. Those things have the room of a full size SUV. They are top heavy and I have found a few in the yards rolled so tell her to take it easy in the curves. Engines are noisy and I now can tell when one is coming without looking at it LOL. But they are a nice vehicle ESPECIALLY for the price you paid. If you replace the timing belt go ahead and replace the tensioner too even if it appears good. Learned that the hard way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts