Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Celica Supra
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as far as I know the AC in my Supra has not been working long before I even got the car. The belt for the compressor isn’t even on but all the hoses are still attached. (I’m new to AC work) I would like to know if I should replace all the AC parts or is it worth flushing, filling and testing for a leak. I’ve been reading around and read that the evaporator is a b*tch to get out and that there aren’t any new ones for sale sadly. Also are there any other vendors besides rock auto that would sell parts for the ac. Is it even worth the trouble or should I just buy portable fans and put them in my car? lol. Any tips would be very appreciated

·
aka Mr Whisker
4,054 Posts
If you are new to A/C, it may be challenging, although if you DIY by changing the fittings to r134a, adding oil and recharge the system you might get lucky (or it might leak - good time to test). R134a doesn't blow ice cold like R12, but has an effect, typically it will only last a season or two. We don't get too hot here in Canada, so I normally just roll down the windows. However, what I do find very comfortable is a cooling seat cover. GLWT

·
Super Moderator
7,830 Posts
Generally speaking, A/C issues are most of the time a money pit affair. And even a good condition car have same issues. Condensor is most of the time leaking, and compressor too. EPR diaphram split and leak often. Having steel to alu unions is also prone to problems, as corrosion develops between the two materials. Almost every part is hard to find.
So unless you are very determined, and not afraid to spend, go for it!

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
1983 Celica Supra
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Generally speaking, A/C issues are most of the time a money pit affair. And even a good condition car have same issues. Condensor is most of the time leaking, and compressor too. EPR diaphram split and leak often. Having steel to alu unions is also prone to problems, as corrosion develops between the two materials. Almost every part is hard to find.
So unless you are very determined, and not afraid to spend, go for it!
Hmm leaning towards just buying some portable fans lol. I’m just gonna buy the 134a fittings and hook the machine up to see if it’ll hold vacuum or not. Looking at all the hoses and what not, they seem to be in pretty good condition. I’ll keep the thread posted on my findings.

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you do try to recharge it, at least replace the accumulator/dryer in there, if that dessicant (and all the stuff its filtered over the years) gets into the system, the whole system will need to be torn apart and cleaned out. They're cheap enough to just replace them too, a Denso accumulator (#478-0101) is about 20 bucks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would think that it shouldn't hurt to find out what the problem is... I've seen a lot of bad schrader valves. If hooking up to a machine, try to get the old mineral oil out of it (if it wasn't converted) and add the appropriate amount of compatible oil to the system.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Toyota compressors are designed to leak so the seals remain fresh...so charge it up first...then proceed with further diagnosis..
Wait, what????
'87 toyota truck, stock oem compressor, R134A conversion done 20 years ago, still gets cold and runs perfectly, haven't recharged in at least 10 or 15 years! Mkii's a/c, converted before I got it back in 1998, recharged it once and it ran for years without issue.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Jay, my car sat for about five years while I stripped it, had a bare metal respray, and then reassembled it. When I got it back on the road the A/C did not work. I read up on all the threads about converting to R134A by replacing the dryer, finding a larger condenser, swapping the condenser fan for a larger one, taking everything apart and cleaning it, etc. Discussed it with my local shop that is knowledgeable and I trust. He said that they had success just evacuating the system, making sure that it held pressure, and charging it up with R134A. So that's what we did. I didn't know enough to ask if they added compatible oil to the system so I am not sure about that part. Cost was about $175, and it is still blowing cold air three years later. Seems to work just as well as it did with the old R-12. Don't know if it will go 10 years or more before needing a recharge, but works well now. The compressor is not original, but was replaced once, many years ago. Only my opinion, but I would say try the simple way first and see how it works.

Regards from New Jerey

·
Registered
1983 Celica Supra
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jay, my car sat for about five years while I stripped it, had a bare metal respray, and then reassembled it. When I got it back on the road the A/C did not work. I read up on all the threads about converting to R134A by replacing the dryer, finding a larger condenser, swapping the condenser fan for a larger one, taking everything apart and cleaning it, etc. Discussed it with my local shop that is knowledgeable and I trust. He said that they had success just evacuating the system, making sure that it held pressure, and charging it up with R134A. So that's what we did. I didn't know enough to ask if they added compatible oil to the system so I am not sure about that part. Cost was about $175, and it is still blowing cold air three years later. Seems to work just as well as it did with the old R-12. Don't know if it will go 10 years or more before needing a recharge, but works well now. The compressor is not original, but was replaced once, many years ago. Only my opinion, but I would say try the simple way first and see how it works.

Regards from New Jerey
Yeah I’m replacing all the seals and the compressor, receiver drier. Then I’m gonna use my shops 134a machine to check if there’s vacuum. Just waiting on parts for now. Hoping that everything will be good and the evaporator core doesn’t leak cuz I hear it’s a pain to take out and parts aren’t really easily attainable. Should meet up sometime though. I’m in New York

1 - 10 of 10 Posts