Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should i hook up the a/c when i do the 7m swap? or leave it alone? i never really use the a/c in the summer anyway....what do yall think? i got the compressor and everything i just dont know if i want to go threw the trouble of re routing all the hoses and crap...

·
Registered
837 Posts
if you don't use it or plan on using it i would keep it out. it may not be alot of power drain but it is sure as hell enough to feel, atleast it is in a mk2.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea lol...i already took it off when i got the engine ha.... i got a sun roof and windows, and have even higher speeds haahah... that should be ok.. on my mk2 5m engine i took the belt off the a/c thinking it would do something but found out it turns freely when not ingaged hahah... i prolly just keep it off.. and take out the a/c radiator and the hoses to it.. just leave the hoses hooked in the firewall just in case i want it one day ha... save me bout 20 or 30lbs

·
Registered
456 Posts
my biggest issue with the AC was the auto ac function that seemed to be very trouble prone and would result in freezing your ars off in the winter...
I know i went a bit over board (converting to a non-AC air box out of a celica) but what i learned from it is this.
The only diffrence between the two systems seems to be the center box section, controles, blower motor resistors, water valve. You may need to do some re-wire *i cant remember specifically because i removed all the ac wire to simplify my harness* but for me it was a no brainer swapping out the auto system...

If you want more info I went a little too far indepth with it on my project log starting at post 80....
here is one of the posts from that thread:

only got a few hours to play with it but here it goes.
pic of the ac box (left) and the non-ac box (right)

pics of the ac and non ac controls

every function but the blower fan speed is mechanical on the non-ac unit
The connectors for the blower fan switch are identical but the AC unit has two additional wires

also
the resistor on the ac unit has an additional wire than the non-ac.
looking into this more this is not straight plug and play.
to do the swap (but leave the wires) you will have to bypass a relay, and jumper two wires from the switch to the resistor to bypass the power servo (both shown in diagram above)...
for me though, part of this whole venture was to eliminate as many wires and connectors as possible so i can tuck and hide every thing as well as possible. So after two hours of carefully tracing wires and using zip ties to hold the harness together i have this impressive rats nest of eliminated wires...

Id say im still only half way done pulling the old AC wires.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Actually, I think it depends on the use of the car. I have my a/c and use it but not around town as much as I do on the road. Long trips without a/c is a pain. All depends on you like someone said.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol thanks for the info guys....so i couldnt just block the ac lines off or the tubes? i want it to stay all together like it is under the dash, just incase i deside to hook up a/c one day...like if i ever sell it.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
lol thanks for the info guys....so i couldnt just block the ac lines off or the tubes? i want it to stay all together like it is under the dash, just incase i deside to hook up a/c one day...like if i ever sell it.
I'd leave everything in place, and hooked up. If you swap engines, don't disconnect the ac compressor, or leave it unhooked for only a short period. You don't want moister in the system.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
humm thats true... shoot i might just see what im getting into and go from there when i drop er in..... my system need new seals in it.. its been changed over to r154, and i have to charge it up in the summer every couple weeks...if i use it.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Ya, sounds like it's like My Cressida's. It's the closest I've ever had to working AC and it kicks out some cold ass air when charged. Whatever happens in the future motor wise, I'll do my best to keep it as good as I can, till I can afford to redo it all.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea...mine does awesome when charged....but will be eventually back to warmish air.. but like i said i might use it like 3 or 4 times in the summer,, mostly when its hot and raining outside, when i cant use sunroof or windows lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
AC is kinda like a 2wd vs. 4wd. I have never wished I didn't have a 4wd but when I had a 2wd I always wished I had 4wd. :32:

You never know when you're gonna use it.

20-30lbs???? Just turn up the boost! :thumbsup:

My .02

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
should i hook up the a/c when i do the 7m swap? or leave it alone? i never really use the a/c in the summer anyway....what do yall think? i got the compressor and everything i just dont know if i want to go threw the trouble of re routing all the hoses and crap...
How much is a 72 degree cabin worth to you when it's 95 degrees outside with 90% humidity? I grew up in the South. It's worth a few hundred dollars to me, depending on whether it's a car I drive a lot or not. Sure, the car is faster with it turned off, but when it's FRIGGING 100 degrees, I don't really care.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea lol...well i might try to get it hooked up. like you said sowsley, humidity sucks down here. lol and it will be round the start of summer or so before is start with my swap...i got to get alot more crap tho.. but if i sell my car in a few days (praying)lol i can get a great jump on this build. and might start taking out that ole 5m soon.. as soon as the right parts get in, its time to drop my 7m in. also if i do sell my other car, i am putting stage 2 BC cams and all valvetrain in the head. and might get some probe pistons or something idk. but defenetly cams, bigger turbo, injectors, tb, adjustable timing gears, and 4in exhaust that splits and runs one pipe out each side infront of my rear tires. i realy want me a AEM ecu to, but idk yet, also new paint, rims, tires, body kit, etc etc. till my money disappears lol, i will try to take pic of when or if i do this lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts