Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon friendos.

Sadly, as expected, my 82 supra's AC is taking a major poop since having it in Florida, and unfortunately i'm not the most experienced.

Both the condenser and compressor are found to be leaking and the hoses are all coroded. Again, as expected for a 40-year-old car. Except I don't want to remove the AC system altogether and the condition my car is in - I want to keep and maintain for quite honestly the duration of my life or until i'm unable to drive.

With that being said - I need to find a way to overhaul the AC system.

From what i've found, back in 2006 a gentleman on here courageously created a kit and i'm looking for a way to do that once more.

Here's the small amounts of information i've found referencing that kit:

AC Retrofit Kit Poll
Jim King AC Kit for 5mge
[Closed] MK2 Air Conditioning Retrofit 2006

Has there been anybody else to tackle a full AC overhaul?

Would love to do this myself and learn - but as inexperienced as I am - I need some help.

Ray

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A gentlemen? I suspect so...
insert THATS THE GUY meme or something

I’m trying to discern whether I should just order equivalent stock condenser/compressor and have the AC lines duplicated by an AC shop or invest heavy in something like what you created. Any possibility that you’d make another kit? Florida heat is killing me

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
inquiring minds want to know... i've ran out of my last can of r12...

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
Reactions: RaySupra82

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
No promises, though two other well known MK2 geeks have offered their assistance to revive the MK2 AC project. They will remain anonymous for now. :cool:

For those with "kind of" working systems (or was working very recently) AND nothing blatantly wrong, and you can do most of the work yourself, my advice:
- evac the system
- replace the drier
- optionally replace all the hose connection o-rings. You may postpone this to reduce the diagnosis issues.
- see if the system holds a vacuum. Even better, see if it holds pressure. A very knowledgeable AC mechanic knows why.
- recharge with R134A.

There's a few places for annoying leaks. The compressor (usually out the front seal), and not uncommon to have the evaporator leak (requires dash removal)

I would also advise removing the blower fan, and see if any debris is interfering with air flow through the evaporator. I had a notable amount
of pine needles, leaves and other misc stuff.

If the system is working (something cool from the vents), then replace the factory condenser fan with a SPAL or similar fan. You'll want
an 11" or 12" fan. This will improve the heat exchange that R134A needs with the factory condenser. You'll get some improvement in vent temps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No promises, though two other well known MK2 geeks have offered their assistance to revive the MK2 AC project. They will remain anonymous for now. :cool:

For those with "kind of" working systems (or was working very recently) AND nothing blatantly wrong, and you can do most of the work yourself, my advice:
- evac the system
- replace the drier
- optionally replace all the hose connection o-rings. You may postpone this to reduce the diagnosis issues.
- see if the system holds a vacuum. Even better, see if it holds pressure. A very knowledgeable AC mechanic knows why.
- recharge with R134A.

There's a few places for annoying leaks. The compressor (usually out the front seal), and not uncommon to have the evaporator leak (requires dash removal)

I would also advise removing the blower fan, and see if any debris is interfering with air flow through the evaporator. I had a notable amount
of pine needles, leaves and other misc stuff.

If the system is working (something cool from the vents), then replace the factory condenser fan with a SPAL or similar fan. You'll want
an 11" or 12" fan. This will improve the heat exchange that R134A needs with the factory condenser. You'll get some improvement in vent temps.

I ended up just purchasing a compressor/condenser from eBay and when I remove the current system I'll have the AC lines duplicated but naturally, i'll want to beef it up. I notice on my system that the R134 conversion has already occurred.

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I went back and re-read the older thread from 2006. Maaaannnnn, would it be cool (literally) if Jim or someone could put something like that together again! I think the response would be great! Modernizing these car's old and outdated AC systems is the way to go in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts