Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 86.5 has r12 in it and is full, no leaks. had it checked and the freon is full. when you turn the a/c on the compressor doesnt lock up. but if you put power to the wire on the compressor it locks up and the air gets ice cold. i cant figure out why it wont lock up and thats the only thing preventing me from selling it right now. it is sold but i told the guy the a/c worked perfect, but it isnt switching on for some reason. untill i get that taken care of i wont call him to bring the money and pick it up. if anyone has any ideas as to what i should check lmk. its an 86.5 n/a 5 speed with the tems suspension and 4.30lsd
william

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
I imagine there's an electrical problem somewhere keeping power away from the compressor, did you check all your fuses/relays that deal w/ your a/c? if they're good I'd check for a burned out wire somewhere

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, ive checked all the fuses that are accessible, and obviously theres no power to the compressor clutch when the a/c is switched on. the thing is is there a relay that is known for going bad? i havent gotten a chance to disassemble the passengers side kick panel to check the 10amp a/c fuse but im thinking its not gonna be the problem.
william

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Did you remember to connect the wiring harness connector on the A/C dual pressure switch after you did the engine swap? 8) The 10 amp A/C fuse powers the A/C amplifier which controls the grounding of the compressor clutch relay winding. Power for the relay winding comes from the 15 amp CIG fuse.

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nothing on the engine harness went to any a/c plugs. the pressure switches are on the passenger side and both are connected. the cig fuse is fine. ill take the kick panel apart and check the a/c fuse tommarow.
william

·
Registered
991 Posts
Don't forget about the AC circuit breaker in the passenger side kick panel as well. If the CB trips, the compressor won't lock up.

Leslie

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was a blown a/c fuse. everything is working correctly now. ice cold a/c
:-D thanks for the other ideas though. good to know just in case.
william

1 - 8 of 8 Posts