Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is for the Supra owner whose R-12 A/C system is intact, functioning well and needs some minor service by adding some oil and 2oz of R-12 if needed after checking the oil level as outlined below.

Where's what you need:

1. Pittstop R-12 Oil checker is used to check the amount of oil in the R-12 system, very easy if you can check the air in your tires you can change the status of the oil in the system...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:VRI&viewitem=&item=140245704668&rd=1

2. 1 can of Oil Charge/Oil Conditioner contains 2oz of oil and 2oz of R-12, you generally do not need an EPA 609 certificate to purchase.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemcount=12&sspagename=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&_trkparms=algo=DR&its=S%2BI%2BSS%2BSD&itu=SD%2BISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=12&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&viewitem=&refitem=150120784501&item=150121904058&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183

3. Interdynamics model MB-2 R12 recharge kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=270222866480

Turn on the car with the A/C on, idle needs to be +/- 1000-1200 rpm. Then after attaching the can of oil charge to the adapter and connecting to the hose, you then attached the recharge hose to the suction side (larger hose) of the A/C Compressor nearest to the drivers side fender. Screw in (clockwise) the piercing needle into the can of oil charge, invert the can then open the valve (counter clockwise). This should take less than 3-4 minutes, tap the cap to check if empty..unscrew the hose and your done...

Check you oil level again and add a 2nd can if needed...

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just performed this maintence on Steve S. '82 this weekend with positive results and have done this on my '86 a couple of different times the last few years..

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And I might have a few extra R12 recharge kits available...PM me if needed...

$7 shipped USA only

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I'm running around much cooler now. Thanks Arch!

I might add that you don't need a license to buy the oil charge cans (2 oz oil + 2 oz freon). Anyone can buy.

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Greg!!

Steve had borrowed the EFI checker to let his mechanic check out his '82 recently as well, always nice to have Supras come by the fire station for a visit!!

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please remember this procedure is only for adding the oil charge...

Here's a partial listing from the Toyota Handbook Climate Control Systems...

Quick Reference: Air Conditioning Service and Diagnosis

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a bump for this thread as a cost effective tune up for the MK2 A/C system...

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Photoshop hot link fix needed to view pics...

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts