Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a few new pix of the interior - plush velour in red & black, new plush-pile carpet and Autotechnica wheel. Only things yet to come are: some nice floor mats (NOT cheque plate!), boost guage, SAFC-II, temp. guage, and maybe rocket-launcher switch for TurboSmart boost-controller bleed valve (if needed). Enjoy ...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
:shocked!: Wow! Very nice!! I dig that steering wheel! How much did it cost you? Also, are those seat covers, or did you re-upholster?

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
thats definatly a reaphostery, with the cloth seat pattern. Your red supra in your sig is confusing, your car is the silver 2jzgte powered beast right?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Autotechnica is about the cheapest aftermarket wheel on the market - I think it ended-up costing me around $220 AUD. And, they come with the extra two buttons as well as the horn button (one for NOS, one for 2nd. stage boost? :lol: ).

Yep, fully re-upholstered. Would like to do roof lining in black - but that's still a bit scary sounding for the moment. And priority one is getting the engine sorted, so that that 2.5twinturbo badge on the grille is not fraudulant!

- Justin
JZA-61 - nearly!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, at the moment my car is the red single-cam 5ME powered ...erm ...beast? Soon to have a 1JZ-GTE transplant. Aiming for stock motor, full 3" exhaust with "y" dump pipes, SAFC-II, 600x300x75 bar&plate FMIC, GFB Stealth BOV, and some sorta control over boost levels by the end of Winter (in Aus.). Then, maybe look at more power, manual conversion, nicer wheels, or something that my wife can enjoy as well :wink:

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
oh ok, you Z series engine powered guys need to get more original handles :wink: I belive Frank is who I was thinking off, I was wondering because red would be an odd int color for a silver car.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
:DROOL:........ :? wheres the drool emoticon when you need it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks nice bro. He may have been the upholsterer from hell, but he did a good job!

How is that Super Plush pile holding up? I'm keen to try it out, but I'm not sure if it would be hard wearing enough for a daily driver. Pleeeease prove me wrong!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've now got the SAFC-II mounted (above rear vision mirror - though not hooked-up). And the JZX-91 Chaser half-cut finally arrived - that should match the grille badge in my avatar nicely! Even came with Japanese log-books, service history, and owners manual in the glovebox! 91k km's, production date = May 1995.

As to the interior, the seats are Scotch Guarded so just need an occasional brush-down with one of those one-way lint brushes and the moulded carpet is settling in nicely. All is looking good!

I'm also going to try to use the Chaser's shifter - it looks nicer than the old T-Bar.

As for the dash - I like the Chaser's display (looks same as Aristo), though Norbie's advice has put me off trying to use it for now. I did get a quote on re-doing the digi dash display in red (I'd like to try doing this myself first) - around AUS $200.

Only other thing I'm considering for the interior is re-webbing the old seat-belts - in red webbing, natch! Though that might be a loooong way off!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've never been a fan of D-shaped steeringhwheels - just a personal thing - but congrats on the rest of the interior. Was it originally black with white & black cloth pinstripe?

If you don't mind my asking - how much did it cost to retrim the seats? I want to get some MA6x seats and will most likely have to get them retrimmed to match. Did you do the side panel retrimming etc yourself?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fair enough. The interior was contrasting greys. The upholsterer was (as JCMF hinted) a nightmare - had my seats for months. Seats and doors ended up a little over the Aus. thousand mark. Quality seems OK - but in hindsight, I should have shopped around a bit more. You may find cheaper. Velour does seem like a goood deal if you can't afford leather. Next summer, I may have a go at the headliner (white to black) - but I'm reluctant to start playing with something in such good nick.

- Justin

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would like to know does this Autotechnica have a web address that you can point me to. I would like to see what else they have to offer. Your interior looks great.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.autotecnica.com.au/

Mostly Korean made stuff. I dunno - maybe another Oz person could add something here - but they are kind of regarded as the Dick Smith of the auto shops over here. I've gotta say I like their stuff - good quality for an excelent price.

The steering wheel I really wanted was code 50/04 - a similar flat-bottom red/black combo - just a bit more stylish. Bur, once it arrived in Perth, we realised that the .02 and '03 catalogues showed that that model had been "revised & updated" into something quite diferent (& gaudy). Just make sure you're ordering off the latest catalogue (tho return was no probs).

They also do cheap boss kits - thought the horn button that goes with boss kit (unlike wheel) is the new Toyota Symble, red on white.

Let's get some more pics of our cars up here folks! I like this section and the discussions it generates!

- Justin

·
Registered
97 Posts
What do you mean by calling them the dick smith of auto parts?

I used to like auto tecnica. My car came with a $300 wheel the previous owner put in - but that would have been 5+ years ago. My friend has a wheel that is a few years old now too, and that is pretty nice also. The problem with their stuff now is that the expensive stuff still seems nice, but they make a lot of cheap low-end stuff too which gives the brand a bad name in my opinion.

I swapped my wheel out for a secondhand late '80s momo one, very similar design, but slightly skinnier and softer which I preffer. The type of leather was a bit different too. Also mean I could swap out for a plain black button - my autotecnica button had a white toyota badge on it that didnt suit the interior of my car and I couldnt seem to find a replacement. Still have the button, badge and horn ring sitting around.

The bosses are good though - a bit cheaper, and they suit autotecnica AND momo wheels (they are the same apttern, but turned around 30*) which is good. The autotecnica boss that came with my car is a nice corrogated dark blue which is a pretty good match for my interior, and looks nicer to me than the smooth black of other brands (in my car at least).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stefan,

We are in agreement with regard to Autotechnica, if not Dick Smith. I am a big fan of the appearance of a lot of the A. range and appreciate the quality construction at an affordable price.

- Justin

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok :)

I just wasn't sure if equating them with dick smith as a negative or positive thing. I rate dick smith above tandy, but they're still both just retail shops, and jaycar genereally has the same or better stuff a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey Jz

I'm from Perth as well...I was thinking about re-upholstering my MK2 interior as well...But I was thinking about grey and black leather...I'm jsut curious, whereabouts is this place that did your interior located?

And how much do you think it would cost to do the same type of job you did (Front and rear seats & front and rear door trims) only in Leather?

$1000 is quite a lot...hmm

Your car looks good though...nice to see another MK2 in Perth...I was begining to think mine was one of the last...I never see them...

BTW, what engine do you have in it? I want to change the ugly T-Bar Auto stick in mine as well...yuk! :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
A grand DOES seem a lot. You can get a 2 couches reuphostered and scotchguarded for a lot less that that. Maybee thats comparing apples and oranges... but I'm not so sure. FWIW you could easilly do the rear sidepanels yourself. Fronts would be harder.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to place in Mt. Hawthorn. As I said, I do NOT recomend them! The most respected upholsterers in town are Trimcare - though I'm sure you would pay for the quality. As I said, I made a BIG mistake in not getting more written quotes before going ahead - so I'm definitely the wrong person to ask on a lot of these questions. The carpet was from [will insert name when I remember] and wasn't too hard to fit myself.

If you like leather, you could get the seats done professionally and do the doors in vynal (reduces overall cost and you are doing the DIY with cheaper materials). Let me know if you guys get some quotes - I'm still curious.

T-bar and complete shifter may be replaced with the 1JZ Chaser auto slush box. Much classier!

cheers,

Justin
JZA-61 in production

1 - 20 of 20 Posts