Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

241 - 260 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Congrats!

I like some of the ideas with the front brace and strut bar you have going on.

I can't seem to get to the video, flickr just gives me a bad link error.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Congrats!

I like some of the ideas with the front brace and strut bar you have going on.

I can't seem to get to the video, flickr just gives me a bad link error.
Thanks! Sorry the video didn't work, Gamble has loaded up a link to it now :thumbsup:
Was a big relief to get it to run as i had to put a replacement loom in from another uk 85 manual car, and there are waay too many wires! Going to relocate the terminals in the front foot wells in future, and put them by the passenger glove box. Maybe with circuit breakers - Then going to do a bit more work on the front cage to bulkhead for even more safety, but to hear that 5M sound again :D With the trust header and the 2.75" full system on now too, so gunna sound good up the hill climbs
Even better next year when it's Supercharged too :woot:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Small update - Broke my arm:SM130 (1):

Been buying some goodies for the car though, so will post up pics of them as they arrive. Even though i can't work on the car at the moment. Was so close to getting it road worthy for this summer too! But ahh well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
mmm mmm I'm back.... uhh!

So been away from the car after i busted my arm. Tried to keep busy though!

Went a bit mad with the Sabelt catalogue.
SAM_3289 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3292 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3294 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3291 by neil walker, on Flickr

Went for some sabelt pull straps for my doors now. Looks nice against my carbon door cards.
SAM_3293 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3290 by neil walker, on Flickr

I have got another passenger seat in too now (Sabelt obviously:p ) But like the view in
SAM_3296 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3297 by neil walker, on Flickr

Made a switch panel out of some spare honeycombed carbon fiber for my Diff cooler oil pump and Heater fan, but will use the other 2 for something. Also has a voltmeter and a usb chargepoint, so pretty handy.

SAM_3295 by neil walker, on Flickr..

I'm also Working out the version 2.1 Aluminium Supercharger bracket. The pulley is level with the crank pulley. Now Supercharger sits 40mm back from the engine front face to get in line with the crank pulley,
Worked out the belt length, and need a 7 rib 1025 belt for it. Now just fine tuning the tensioner pulley so i can get some nice clearance from the outlet and the chassis rail. < plus stop the inlet fouling against the engine mount bracket on the block.

SAM_3300 by neil walker, on Flickr

Worked out the belt length, and need a 7 rib 1025 belt for it. Now just fine tuning the tensioner pulley so i can get some nice clearance from the outlet and the chassis rail.
Once the location of everything is right, i can remove excess material from the bracket on the mill.

SAM_3299 by neil walker, on Flickr

Tensioner is from a Jag XJR 8, and is mighty strong, and compact. Did get a 2jz tensioner too, but was all wrong for my set up. Will run a guide pulley under the belt too, Between the crank pulley and the supercharger top pulley.

SAM_3301 by neil walker, on Flickr

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
sweet, its coming along! How long for the arm to heal?
Thanks! Yeah, it starts on the key now, and everything bar the wipers works now. There is a click in the wiper control box, but had it apart and looks dry and as new. it's a weird one, as when i press in the battery kill switch key in,the control box clicks again :/
Arm took about 12 weeks to heal. Snapped my radius 3" below my elbow, and a Ti plate and six screws in it. Oops

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Bit more progress...

SAM_3318 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3316 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3319 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3321 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3322 by neil walker, on Flickr

This is just before i finished it. Supercharger now sits a 12 degrees slant from vertical. Cross plate at the back was just a guide for measuring, so it's a lot more sturdy now. This was the final test fit, and i had to cut out a bit for the head breather return after.
SAM_3325 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3326 by neil walker, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Thats some serious work right there! Hence why most don't bother with superchargers on these motors vs turbos, but I like it! Worth it

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #252 (Edited)
Thats some serious work right there! Hence why most don't bother with superchargers on these motors vs turbos, but I like it! Worth it
Corrrectomondo!!
It's quite intensive, and have to think a few steps ahead for pipework routing and other such headaches!

I had to use a spare throttle body for doing the intake pipework, as it must be before the supercharger inlet, otherwise you get constant 10 psi of compressed air where the stock throttle body is located on vacuum = lots of noise and worn parts. I used two 90 degree cast Aluminum elbows 3" OD with a 45mm joiner tube. The throttle butterfly is retained, i will just need a longer throttle cable to go to the accelerator pedal. Mounting the stop will bolt on the supercharger body with some 40 x 20mm Aluminum angle.

SAM_3354 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3353 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3356 by neil walker, on Flickr
Front of the throttle body. It's pretty tucked in here, but will be a bit tight against the supercharger outlet, so going to put a little S bend with some 70mm cast elbows. That will move the intake tract up and away from the outlet pipe.

The Supercharger outlet has a 90 degree silicone elbow going from it into another 90 degree elbow, and that goes through the body to the intercooler. (600 x 300 x76mm) Bug may drop the intercooler height down to 240mm for clearance.

SAM_3362 by neil walker, on Flickr

[/url]SAM_3371 by neil walker, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looking down into the engine bay from above, i'm really happy about how compact and close to the engine i have managed to fit it. It's a hefty supercharger the Eaton M90, so once it's all cleaned up and painted in black crackle paint, think it will really sleeper spec to the untrained eye.

SAM_3360 by neil walker, on Flickr

SAM_3358 by neil walker, on Flickr

Interior wise, i have made my center switch console a bit more solid, and fitted a cube speed shifter. Really cut down on stick travel so mightily impressed!

SAM_3364 by neil walker, on Flickr

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
And i've done a bit mOre digging with plug and play Standalone ECU options.
Also found that Ecumaster do a 52 PIN plug adaptor for an early 1987 -1988 7mgte.

https://ecumasterusa.com/products/87-88-supra-7mgte-pnp-for-emu-classic?variant=8318138679357

They have the same yellow 52 pin plug as 5mge's, so going to contact the uk dealers after xmas. Looking more towards an EMU black if they can reconfigure the plug pins for my engine loom. I already have a AEM uego Wideband with an LSU 4.9 O2 sensor, and the classic only runs the 4.2.
I like the ECUmaster due to the VE 'Volumetric Efficiency' map capabilities over the link g4 I was thinking of getting.

Got most of the pinouts deciphered, but the UK and Euro ECU pins are totally different to US cars. Closest match i have found is Australian 6mge pinouts. Identical, save for 2 pins i don't have. ( O2 sensor and EGR)

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Honestly better off rewiring so you aren't chasing wiring problems until you've replaced half the loom anyway... Love the ecumaster features and pricepoint, i have one i need to install...

·
Registered
470 Posts
man, thats so much extra stuff for the SC. almost looks easier to pull the motor and mock up out of the car and then deal with the new problems when its back in the car

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
man, thats so much extra stuff for the SC. almost looks easier to pull the motor and mock up out of the car and then deal with the new problems when its back in the car
I did that originally for first mock up, but soon discovered that it's best to work out everything within the engine bay (for me anyway)
Double difficulty level is achieved for me due to the fact i just have a tiny little garage with no electric, so making and modifying stuff is all done at work. I have to rely on templates and measurements. Would have finished it long ago if we still had our old workshop. Damn i miss the 2 post lift!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #257 (Edited)
Honestly better off rewiring so you aren't chasing wiring problems until you've replaced half the loom anyway... Love the ecumaster features and price point, i have one i need to install...
I'm not that rich!
Seriously,I'm struggling to afford paint, headwork and being honest - i'm wiring dyslexic!
Reinstalling another loom was tiresome enough, and with this car - i really wouldn't know what i'm doing. Car wiring is witchcraft and best left to the most skilled of professionals. The car runs sweet how it is now, so don't really see any real need to make a whole new loom for it at £2000+ Everything i have attempted wiring wise, gauges ect has been a disaster so, rather than mess things up anymore, i'm going to take it to my friend Ray, who understands the utter madness that is automotive electrical wiring. It doesn't help that all the wiring diagrams i have found are for LHD US cars, and it couldn't be anymore different to UK cars. We are more similar to Australian market.

Agree with you though, It would be nice to have a stripped down loom to make things easier, and if i go with the ECUMASTER black, they do a CANBUS switch system that would get rid of a lot of unnecessary switches

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #259 (Edited)
you...have no electricity...in your shop?!?!?!?!?! holy hell no wonder!
Yeah, i have to do everything off site from where the car is kept. It's a real bitch!
In preparation for the supercharger (and coz i had a bit of ebay selling money) I bought a Competition Clutch Stage 4 ceramic paddle clutch. It's a w58 2JZGE one (MPN 16085 -1620) It fits my Lightened and balanced 5MGE flywheel & Good for 500bhp apparently.More interested in torque figures and mid range response. Aiming for around 300 lb/ft.
Won't be fitting it for a good while yet, also got a mk3 supra Ali radiator to fit, but gotta do cambelt and water pump, then steel headgasket, top end work and arp's. Just wanna get it road legal, Tidy up the paint a bit and put a few miles on it, while i save up some money to progress further. Shit costs thousands!

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
paddle clutch... you mean 6 puck or such? I went with a similar ACT setup and its been pretty good to me.

241 - 260 of 282 Posts