Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

The time has come for me to replace the OEM front speakers.

I know a lot of you have replaced these speakers with numerous new aftermarket speakers, but I need to know how it's done.

After examining the stock one, it appears to be around 2.5" to 3" in diameter...(this is an '83 Supra I have...not sure if '84+ Supra's had a larger speaker/location) but I know some of you have put 3.5" to 4" speakers in there...how did you achieve this?

I was thinking about these speakers...will they fit?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,21391,00.html

If someone can post a step by step guide on what to do and what is needed to be done to upgrade to 3.5" or these 4" ones, I would greatly appreciate it...

Thanx heaps. :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi I have the 4 inch speakers in the front. When I bought the car someone had replaced the stocks with aftermarkets so when I swapped mine the opening had been enlarged (for sound purposes). It had been cut slightly larger. It is metal under the padding so cutting must be tough. The stock speaker cover still fit properly so the amount removed must be small...the mesh and plastic and the frame that holds it all I guess. I didnt even know it was supposed to have a screen behind the cover untill I went to the wreckers :!: The 4 inch speaker fit in place of the old ones nicely...they were 3.5 inch. I had to bend one of the mounting tabs up for clearance. and attached them whereever possible. Unfortunately the cheapo speakers I put in have already developed a problem so I will have to do it again. :x
As for those pioneers...they will fit with some work-they look like the same size as mine. Have you bought them yet? Cause there is a pair on Ebay for under 10.00 dollars US :shock: (as of this posting with 2 days to go). Thought you might like to know :)

-Wil

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi :)

I'm not sure if I fully understand...do you need to cut from where the speaker is mounted or, cut the entire inside up to where the front grill/guard is. Because the speaker sits a bit far back in there...I have only taken off the front grill to see how much room (diameter) there is...but there only appears to be around 3" worth...so I'm not sure what its like behind the actual speaker...don't suppose you could take a pic, or someone else can so I can sorta get an idea...

I haven't bought the pioneers yet because I want to make sure they will fit first... :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Actually the speaker grill/guard is what gets cut out. The square opening has been slightly enlarged. I think that just removing the plastic speaker cover/grill and the frame holding it makes for a 3 inch square hole. the diagonal(corner to corner) is closer to 4 inches so A 4 inch speaker will overlap a little but most of the speaker will be clear.
I dont have any pictures developed but when I do I will post.
I would take the pictures in today but we had a spring snow storm today. The snow is 1.5 feet and increasing :shock: so I wont be moving the car today.
-Wil

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohhhh! I think I understand now...basically you use the un-used space...i.e the space that's in front of the OEM speaker, since it's sitting maybe 2 inchs back...and where it sits it's about 3" but where the grill/guard is it opens up to around 4"...I see...so that means you don't use the grill/guard, you use the one that comes with the new speakers...right?

I would really like to see how this looks...and how much of the inside was cut out...I don't suppose you could unscrew one of your speakers and take a photo of the inside? if not, that's ok... :)

BTW, since the OEM location is a rectangular shape and the speakers are a circle shape, is there any gaps...or are the gaps covered by the speaker?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Boy this is hard to describe :? . The speakers are using the stock covers. The speakers are mounted from the inside. When you take the dash apart you will see that the stock speakers are in a plastic housing. This is too small for the 4 inch speakers. This housing unscrews. There is also a soft mesh screen between the speaker and the stock speaker cover. This was removed by a previous owner.
After all this is removed you have a square opening. The edge on mine was trimmed (poorly) :x and is now about a half inch wider each way (lenght/width). The 4 inch speaker fits from the back and fills from corner to corner but does overlap slightly on the sides (round over square). On mine it is just a bit of the foam surround and a sliver of cone so doesnt seem to affect things. I was able to line up 2 of the 4 mounting holes and so it has only 2 screws holding it but it seems to be OK. If you could enclose the speakers you would get much better projection. I tried but the bolts on the end of the dash got in the way :( . I am thinking of a solution so when I fix the buzzing speaker I can put something in. When the pics are developed I will try to post but havent had much luck posting here. I will probably post them at egroups.
I hope this is more clear :wink: .
-Wil

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have them same pioneer 4" speakers in my fronts 8) I took the plastic factory mounts out, and built custom ones out of wood. Just pretty much a 1/4inch lift to the speaker doesn't touch. I cut come cardboard and shaped it around the rear of the speaker for a box, stuffed the box with pillow filling...for better sound...and taped the cardboard up with duct tape :lol: they sound nice just how they are. But I would like more sound, like a 5 1/4" or maybe a 6 1/2" speaker...I don't want to cut into the door...so I'm thinking about making little speaker boxes to fit in the cornors on the floor pointing diagonaly up and then covering them up with carpet to look neat. I just got to figure out a way to do it on the driver side, because I don't want it getting in the way of my clutch pedal or me stepping on it all of the time on mistake 8)

·
Registered
202 Posts
The front speakers should be 3 1/2" by the way. Another option...on my second supra, I bought 1" tweeters, got a small piece of metal...measured it to the stock plastic mouts, drilled holes for the mounts, then sodered the little piece of metal to the tweeter, and mounted...they don't give much mids....but plenty of highs 8)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh ok...I think I understand now...basically you remove the inside plastic part where the old speaker is attached to and either create your own custom inside or somehow attach the new speaker up close to the front grill...right?

Creating a custom fiberglass inside might be the best idea because you can mould it to fit the circle shape speaker...the only thing is, how much depth does the inside allow from the grill? Because 4" speakers are much larger than the tiny stock ones, will there be enough room depth wise...or will it hit something back there?

·
Registered
202 Posts
suprafiend, I don't mean in the door panels...If I knew how to post pics, I'd show you what I mean :silly: but I'll try to explain it...
on the floor, in the cornor nearest to the door, towards the front of the car
I'd make a box to mount there like a triangle piece in the cornor pointing up diagonally. would this get in the way of ur clutch pedal on the driver side? Also I was thinking, the bottom most panel on the dash....would it be posible to mount speakers hidden there? I'm thinking it'll be too much weight on the panel and on the driver side, it'd get in the way of ur pedals. Anyone do this before?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The stock sub woofer is in there under the passenger side so ther is plenty of room on that side...drivers is a little more tight but if your talking about 3-4 inch speakers they should go.
-Wil
been in there three times in the last two weeks :x

-Wil

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
my suggestions are to make some kick panels from fiberglass
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~wradford/doorpods.htm
like this, you dont have to butcher your doors to do it, just make a little sheetmetal tab in an L shape, that will go under the door panel and attach using the clips/pins, then you bolt it to the bottom of the fiberglass pods.

ill try and draw up something in paint if i didnt explain it clearly enough.

as far as speakers in the dash, its almost too much of a pain in the ass to disassemble the whole dash just for some piddly little 4" speakers, id sooner make up some kick panels.
as far as the arguement about whether or not they sound better on the floor.... well, their must be a reason so many competition stereos have kickpanel speakers... nuff said about that.

if you want some bass up front, find yourself a 6" subwoofer and a nice compact amp, and jam it under the dashboard where the factory sub normally is, itll fit with some finessing.
myself... im going to try and make a fiberglass under dash, to hold a 10" woofer, but i havent really spent much time working on it yet, ill take pics if i do end up making one.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
dogstar said:
as far as speakers in the dash, its almost too much of a pain in the ass to disassemble the whole dash just for some piddly little 4" speakers,.
Done it 4 times now...piece of cake-by the way anyone know where all the extra screws came from :oops:

-Wil :lol:

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
dogstar said:
as far as speakers in the dash, its almost too much of a pain in the ass to disassemble the whole dash just for some piddly little 4" speakers, id sooner make up some kick panels.
as far as the arguement about whether or not they sound better on the floor.... well, their must be a reason so many competition stereos have kickpanel speakers... nuff said about that.
I'm sure you can get much nicer, louder speakers if you put them in the doors, but I've heard lots of in door speakers and they don't impress me that much. The best spot is in the doors above the arm rest. Take a look at where the speakers in a mk4 supra are located if you want to see the ultimate spot. Also notice that the speakers face the passenger directly, just like the front ones do in our cars. You don't have to take much of the dash apart to put 4s in, it goes pretty quick and easy. It is a bit of a pain to make the fiberglass mounts but at least you don't have to cut anything up.

As for bass up front, just get a nice sub system in the rear. Bass carries nicely, doesn't really matter where it comes from in the car, you'll feel it everywhere if your setup is good.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yes bass is non-directional. Home theater subs can be placed just about anywhere in the room.

-Wil

·
Registered
202 Posts
Actually bass is dirrectional 8) If you ever noticed when you face the sub pointing towards the rear of the car in the trunk...you get better bass! :p just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
bass is directional and indirectional... i cant remember well enough to explain it, but i once had an acoustical engineer spend four hours telling me why. :)

if you want the best bass in a car, he suggested a small sub in the front, and a larger sub in the rear, both facing AWAY from the occupants.

i dont know if he was blowing smoke up my ass, but hes considerably more educated and experienced with sound and acoustical matters than i, so i just sat and listened.

fiberglass pods also provide better imaging, because it helps the speakers to be similar distances away from the driver.
dash corners would be good locations... if you sat in the center of the car.
kickpanels help imaging because (measure if you dont belive me) the speakers are more similar in distance from the drivers ears than the dash allows.

example: (all measurements are approximate, for a 1988 ranger)
dash speakers-
~drivers side speaker is 12 inches from the drivers ear
~passenger side speaker is 50 inches from the drivers ear

kickpanel speakers-
~drivers side speaker is 32 inches from the drivers ear
~passenger side speaker is 60 inches from the drivers ear

12 and 50 is a considerable difference, 38 inches of difference.
if you are using an IASCA imaging disc to tune your system, you will notice it, and so will passengers with a fine ear to music.
ive found it can also cause ear aches and headaches for myself... YMMV

32 and 58 inches... now thats a nicer match up, only 26 inches.
its still noticable, but you can always fade the drivers side a touch, or depending on your deck, some have time correction software integral.

this 12 inch difference in distances, belive it or not, sounds different.
for 95% of people, they could care less, and im sure some of you will be reading this and wondering WTH im bothering to post it, but i figure its a forum, if someone wants to read a post this long and mundane, they either want to learn what my theories are, or they want to discuss it. :)

either way, there it is
enjoy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts